Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #1241
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Rob Kerr, at least in the early days, was good at PBP on radio. When he did Hitmen games during the lockout while Mark Stiles handled the TV side, he was entertaining enough that I muted the Shaw feed.

When he called a period of Flames hockey the night they honored Maher, he was good. He has a goal call for Langkow that's overflowing with enthusiasm, even if it is a little hacky.

Radio was Kerr's medium. He was never a TV guy. He seemed to have trouble marrying the visuals to his call. Radio would've mitigated this.

He wouldn't have been the best man for the job, but he's better for it than Wills.
“And the gloves are off, over to Rob Kerr”

“And a left, and a left, and another left!!!”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #1242
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
“And the gloves are off, over to Rob Kerr”

“And a left, and a left, and another left!!!”
Yeah that was ridiculous.

But I'll say again, early days of Rob Kerr pbp showed reasons for optimism. At least he was passionate about what he was doing.

I have spent the last ten minutes watching random game highlights from the Q, and have already found someone to replace Wills.

His name is Patrick McNeil, he's the voice of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. Deep baritone, a bit shouty on the goal call but not overly so, nice cadence, and of course, the east coast accent. I understand Rogers is cheap as #### but how much can it possibly cost to convince anyone to leave a junior gig in Cape Breton for an NHL one in Calgary?

Never forget, the only reason we have Wills in the first place is because Rod Pedersen drinks too much. I don't know why they're so married to someone who was nobody's first choice.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #1243
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Never forget, the only reason we have Wills in the first place is because Rod Pedersen drinks too much. I don't know why they're so married to someone who was nobody's first choice.
You're saying it could have been worse!!
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #1244
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default "Take that Calgary Puck!" — SN960 and Calgary sports media discussion

Quote:
...Never forget, the only reason we have Wills in the first place is because Rod Pedersen drinks too much. I don't know why they're so married to someone who was nobody's first choice.
It is probably because in the grand scheme of things it’s not especially important. There are not a lot of people who tune in to listen to a hockey game on the radio because they love the play-caller. SN probably does not see any shift whatsoever in ratings because of whom is describing the action on the ice, so long as they are doing that much with competence. People listen to hockey on the radio to hear what is happening in the game.

So long as Wills is competent, I am fairly certain that the job will remain his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #1245
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PBP aside - I`m still a fan of Walker`s Sarcastic Player Report.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rayne008 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #1246
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is probably because in the grand scheme of things it’s not especially important. There are not a lot of people who tune in to listen to a hockey game on the radio because they love the play-caller. SN probably does not see any shift whatsoever in ratings because of whom is describing the action on the ice, so long as they are doing that much with competence. People listen to hockey on the radio to hear what is happening in the game.

So long as Wills is competent, I am fairly certain that the job will remain his.

Okay, well, I know I used to listen to at least some of every game on the radio, and lots of post-game stuff specifically because Peter was so good at his job. So was Rob, and so was Mike Rogers. I would frequently take the long way home to continue listening to Maher's calls.

I don't listen to the games anymore. I don't listen to the post-game, or pre-game, because why bother. Wills is going to spout nonsense, Loubardias is going to call every player on the ice 'as quality a human being as you'll find in this game' and Pat's going to agree.

The ratings might be the same. I don't know how they could be, as the product is objectively far worse.

And to say it doesn't matter is a cop out. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. The play-by-play man should be a star of the station, if not THE star. He shouldn't be well outside the top-5 personalities employed by the station.

Boomer, Pat, Pinder, Loubardias, Klein, Bo, Commodore (Rhett before him), even Will Nault is better, because at least Nault's opinions sound like his own.

Eight people at his own station are better at radio, and one of them's a professional quarterback. Another was a Scottsdale Uber driver 18 months ago.

Let me say again, as clearly as I can (for the suits, not you, Text): I don't listen to any part of the Flames games on radio anymore specifically because the voice of the team is not effective at his job. I think I'm pretty into this team. I'm not listening, and I'm not the only one.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #1247
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am absolutely certain that Rogers and Maher were transitioned because they weren't yes men. Now we have yes men. It's what the Flames want. It's just speculation on my part but knowing Ken King, it's a very Ken King move, or at least one that he would support.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #1248
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I am absolutely certain that Rogers and Maher were transitioned because they weren't yes men. Now we have yes men. It's what the Flames want. It's just speculation on my part but knowing Ken King, it's a very Ken King move, or at least one that he would support.
Peter Maher was a "yes man." Any denial of that fact is an altered memory produced from feelings of beneficence about the past.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #1249
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, well, I know I used to listen to at least some of every game on the radio, and lots of post-game stuff specifically because Peter was so good at his job. So was Rob, and so was Mike Rogers. I would frequently take the long way home to continue listening to Maher's calls.

I don't listen to the games anymore. I don't listen to the post-game, or pre-game, because why bother. Wills is going to spout nonsense, Loubardias is going to call every player on the ice 'as quality a human being as you'll find in this game' and Pat's going to agree.

The ratings might be the same. I don't know how they could be, as the product is objectively far worse.
There is nothing whatsoever "objective" about this opinion of yours.

Quote:
...And to say it doesn't matter is a cop out. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. The play-by-play man should be a star of the station, if not THE star. He shouldn't be well outside the top-5 personalities employed by the station.
It is not a cop out. It is a practical reality. It's difficult to fire people—especially in the event where cause is not demonstrable. Until the station starts to suffer catastrophic drops in ratings and advertising revenue, it is tough to maintain that Wills deserves to be replaced. This would likely require a buyout of some sort, and the launch of a new talent search; all of this requires time and resources, and I am certain that no one at SN has much of an appetite for that.

Quote:
Let me say again, as clearly as I can (for the suits, not you, Text): I don't listen to any part of the Flames games on radio anymore specifically because the voice of the team is not effective at his job. I think I'm pretty into this team. I'm not listening, and I'm not the only one.
Right. But how many do you actually believe that there are who have taken the same stance as you? No one can know for sure, but I am pretty confident there is little more than a handful of you guys. Definitely not enough to force the station's hand. Most fans are probably like me: happy to listen to the game on the radio, and completely unaffected by the modestly competent play-caller. Keep giving me that and I will continue to listen. I am a hockey fan. Not a radio-voice fan.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #1250
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can't believe the harsh criticism in this thread over a free product. These are radio analysts here who are paid absolutely peanuts and yet, I'd say those 3 hosts of the post game show put on probably the most intelligent and in-depth show in the entire city.

Where else can Flames fans get better analysis of the team? Definitely not TV. The intermission analysts are Toronto based and know nothing about the Flames. Definitely not The Morning Show which is just an endless parade of product placement and fart jokes. Mediocre analysis at best. Definitely not The Eric Francis show which is usually just Francis patting himself on the back regarding how great he is at his job.

The Afternoon show is better as Pinder can hold his own. But overall, you're not getting better quality analysis than the pre and post games. These 3 guys actually attend practices, converse with the players/coaches themselves and actually care about the team and the quality of coverage they provide.

Honestly, I can't complain about the value. It's free and they put in the time/effort and they do good work. It's not perfect, but what show is? I'm just glad there's an outlet that provides in depth coverage for the team that I love. Props to Kirsch and the Fan 960, thanks for sticking around because it certainly beats out a crappy music station that plays songs I've never even heard of.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #1251
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Can't believe the harsh criticism in this thread over a free product.

Every time I tune in and hear the word "radon," how I need to be like Pat and drive a Volkswagen or how chickens aspire to be killed so they can fulfill their destiny as electric honey wings, I pay with my soul.

Last edited by mikeecho; 10-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #1252
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh my God, listening to Loubardias talk about Tkachuk and Doughty.

The rhetorical questions, the awkward pauses, the "R" word.

I will never hear him the same way again.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #1253
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Peter Maher was a "yes man." Any denial of that fact is an altered memory produced from feelings of beneficence about the past.
Any criticism of the players from Maher was usually an echo of what he was being told by Sutter.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #1254
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default "Take that Calgary Puck!" — SN960 and Calgary sports media discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Every time I tune in and hear the word "radon," how I need to be like Pat and drive a Volkswagen or how chickens aspire to be killed so they can fulfill their destiny as electric honey wings, I pay with my soul.

Nothing is worse than that stupid My Pillow commercial. Complete farce and an embarrassing minute of radio. I would like to buy one just so I could burn it to ashes, but then I realize that I’d be contributing to the success of the ad which would prolong the longevity of it.

Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #1255
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Commodore on this morning. Did he get the job?
When I last spoke with him, he said it was a 6 week contract. I imagine they will continue to do 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off and hopefully Sarich continues to be on the show.

I honestly don't think either guy wants to do the morning show full time.

IMO Sarich is built for TV and is probably trying to pad his media resume in order to end up on TV more regularly.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansmack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #1256
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loubardias was with Maher for his last year, right? Alternate timeline, but I wonder if they could have squeezed a few more years out of Maher (though I expect cost had as much to do with it as anything) by limiting his travel? Loubardias is certainly an acquired taste, but he is certainly capable of both PBP and colour...maybe even at the same time?

Maher for all home games plus VAN, EDM, and most California road trips...Loubo alone for the other ~30 road games. Hell, this would probably still be possible today. KK, please read.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #1257
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rome drains donkey balls.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #1258
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Rome drains donkey balls.
I’ve turned it on before and it was just white noise... for upwards of 15 seconds. I thought my radio was broken. Then I heard a loud paper crinkle....
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #1259
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup. Until that last season when he started crossing the line a bit. I think that did him in.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #1260
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Can't believe the harsh criticism in this thread over a free product. These are radio analysts here who are paid absolutely peanuts and yet, I'd say those 3 hosts of the post game show put on probably the most intelligent and in-depth show in the entire city.

Where else can Flames fans get better analysis of the team? Definitely not TV. The intermission analysts are Toronto based and know nothing about the Flames. Definitely not The Morning Show which is just an endless parade of product placement and fart jokes. Mediocre analysis at best. Definitely not The Eric Francis show which is usually just Francis patting himself on the back regarding how great he is at his job.

The Afternoon show is better as Pinder can hold his own. But overall, you're not getting better quality analysis than the pre and post games. These 3 guys actually attend practices, converse with the players/coaches themselves and actually care about the team and the quality of coverage they provide.

Honestly, I can't complain about the value. It's free and they put in the time/effort and they do good work. It's not perfect, but what show is? I'm just glad there's an outlet that provides in depth coverage for the team that I love. Props to Kirsch and the Fan 960, thanks for sticking around because it certainly beats out a crappy music station that plays songs I've never even heard of.
The post game Hot Stove Lounge is a staple for me. Let's face it, there is just so much analysis now of days and only so much you can analyze. It's not always gonna be fresh uber insightful, and entertaining. I take it for what it's worth. The Flames are my team and these are my Flames broadcasters.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post: