Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #421
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
While probably not what you meant, people who don’t have a lot of wealth or resources are more adversely impacted by social issues than those who do.
Are they? Don't most of our radical social programs emerge from elite universities, from academia and the cossetted children of the affluent? I'd say it's more the opposite. When you don't have to concern yourself with paying rent and feeding a couple kids, you can fret over representation in superhero movies and gender pronouns. Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and all that. University graduates are more socially progressive than the poor and working class.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #422
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Are they? Don't most of our radical social programs emerge from elite universities, from academia and the cossetted children of the affluent? I'd say it's more the opposite. When you don't have to concern yourself with paying rent and feeding a couple kids, you can fret over representation in superhero movies and gender pronouns. Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and all that. University graduates are more socially progressive than the poor and working class.
Oh sure. I wasn’t really referring to minor fringe issues, but actual social issues that have a huge impact (like welfare or social programs that primarily benefit the less fortunate).

If you’re wealthy, you have the luxury of not having to worry about those things if you don’t want to. People who don’t have that luxury are more likely to be interested in a government willing to spend on programs that will benefit them in large ways, instead of just the government that’ll let them keep an extra percentage point of their paycheque.

I think people forget that social issues aren’t just “unisex bathrooms!!!!”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #423
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I think people forget that social issues aren’t just “unisex bathrooms!!!!”
How out of touch is the far-right if they think these are the pressing issues the left is concerned with? Most people I know who are aligned similarly politically with me are much more concerned with climate change, affordable housing and child care, and pragmatic drug policies just to name a few.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #424
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
My real "FYGM" issue is that I feel there should be bigger tax relief on money that someone puts into an recognized retirement savings method. If I'm aggressively saving to ensure that I'm not going to be a burden to the state when I'm done working, there should be better incentives.

I'm fine with paying taxes on salary, and property taxes, and sales taxes, and sin taxes. But let me gain some financial security without ####ing banging me.
That’s what the TFSA is for
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #425
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
That’s what the TFSA is for
The TFSA is comprised of post tax contributions though. They need to reduce the rate on RRSP withdrawals.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #426
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And I suddenly feel the need to take a long nap. TFSA RRSP xyz obladi oblada.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #427
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
My real "FYGM" issue is that I feel there should be bigger tax relief on money that someone puts into an recognized retirement savings method. If I'm aggressively saving to ensure that I'm not going to be a burden to the state when I'm done working, there should be better incentives.

I'm fine with paying taxes on salary, and property taxes, and sales taxes, and sin taxes. But let me gain some financial security without ####ing banging me.
100% tax relief on 18% of your income plus no tax on gains for the next 5k isn't enough.

Or are you looking for more than just tax deferment?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #428
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
I'm purely looking at both parties on the spectrum. One centre-left, the other left.

I'm aware there are platform differences between them.

Where this has meaning (to me anyway) is the social aspect of these types of elections. Doug Ford, for example, shakes up everything regarding climate change, he's anti-abortion, homophobic - generally things more tolerated by left leaning people.

It's always been my wish of a viable party that was fiscally responsible, but socially progressive. Seems you can't have both or you get a leader (like Wynne) who squanders it.

Literally...LOL.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #429
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I'm not alarmed and I've never watched Tucker Carlson. Ontario is already a smoldering crater, they are paying to export electricity.

I'm not sure why you need to continue with the ooga booga narrative.
He, literally, does not know any better.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #430
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
How out of touch is the far-right the Huffington Post, Salon, the Globe and Mail, CBC, the Guardian, Slate, Vox, the Daily Beast, and NPR if they think these are the pressing issues the left is concerned with? Most people I know who are aligned similarly politically with me are much more concerned with climate change, affordable housing and child care, and pragmatic drug policies just to name a few.
fyp
Old 06-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #431
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
fyp
Weird. I just took a look at all of those sites and none of them had anything about bathrooms or trans rights on their front page.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #432
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Considering the outgoing government left the province in shambles how is Doug Ford as PM alarming? You think an NDP government was going to dig Ontario out of their hole?
No matter who won it was alarming.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #433
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good summary of how Ford won Ontario.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...e-ford-nation/

It validates the suggestion I made up-thread that it's the educated and affluent who seem most concerned with social policy.

Quote:
Mr. Ford’s ascendancy cements the PCs’ long transformation from a party of the powerful to a party of those who feel alienated from power. The party’s strongholds are in rural areas, small towns and some suburbs. According to Ekos Research, Conservative voters have less formal education than supporters of other parties. Men favour the PCs over the other parties. They are the preferred party of those who describe themselves as “poor.”

Central areas of Toronto and Ottawa with their affluence, trendiness, diversity, cultural institutions, government buildings, museums and concert halls, head offices, startup companies, large hospitals and universities are now NDP strongholds. Karl Marx would be shaking his head.