Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2022, 08:55 PM   #4521
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The sad part is Punk isn't even needed. Moxley, Danielson and Omega keep that main event going, and they have plenty of supporting talent to keep the fans engaged.

This just feels like remnants of mid-2000s BS that is rearing it's ugly head once again. Oh well, better make some money off it.
Partially true. The biggest gates they've done have been with Punk.

I think AEW really needs to start focusing on growing their own talent again anyways. Punk, Danielson, and Jericho aren't going to be there forever, and WWE are likely to back up the Brinks truck for MJF when his contract is up.

I was a big Sammy guy, but the guy can't seem to be relied on to work safely with anyone and seems to just be a massive prick in general. Hard to build a company around someone like that.

Darby and Orange Cassidy are solid upper midcard guys, but they're not going to sell tickets and pop ratings on their own.

I do think Daniel Garcia has a bright future and maybe Wardlow, too, but beyond that and the tag division, it's hard to see a lot of main event talent waiting in the wings.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #4522
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The sad part is Punk isn't even needed. Moxley, Danielson and Omega keep that main event going, and they have plenty of supporting talent to keep the fans engaged.

This just feels like remnants of mid-2000s BS that is rearing it's ugly head once again. Oh well, better make some money off it.
Punk draws money and pops rating. Omega really doesn't and Moxley and maybe its me isn't all that great.

I love Danielson, but I don't think he's been booked well, and he's probably not got long left to go.

Punk is their best main event level guy. He's the whole package outside of being a prick. He can talk, he understands the business, can work multiple styles in the ring and can make a bad opponent look good.

You want to test the EVP's and their ability to actually do business. Tell the Bucks to get in the ring and get crushed by FTR in the name of a story line, tell Omega that in the name of a story line to go into the ring with Punk and get his a$$ kicked.

Right now there is too much of a WCW vibe to AEW. I'll say it again. in ring workers shouldn't be executives, or bookers or writers period.

Tony if he wants to take the next step needs to find actual professionals in talent relations and in creative.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:12 PM   #4523
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paul Heyman running AEW would be a f'ing blast, IMO.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:12 PM   #4524
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Partially true. The biggest gates they've done have been with Punk.

I think AEW really needs to start focusing on growing their own talent again anyways. Punk, Danielson, and Jericho aren't going to be there forever, and WWE are likely to back up the Brinks truck for MJF when his contract is up.

I was a big Sammy guy, but the guy can't seem to be relied on to work safely with anyone and seems to just be a massive prick in general. Hard to build a company around someone like that.

Darby and Orange Cassidy are solid upper midcard guys, but they're not going to sell tickets and pop ratings on their own.

I do think Daniel Garcia has a bright future and maybe Wardlow, too, but beyond that and the tag division, it's hard to see a lot of main event talent waiting in the wings.
At one point I think last year or the year before, I said that AEW was moving into having an advantage over WWE in terms of main event guys. but WWE had more solid mid card guys.

Its weird how its slowly starting to flip a bit.

I watched a bit of the PPV for WWE on Saturday and it was just a really solid PPV outside of the weird musical ending.

But WWE is now working on elevating guys to the main event, and even watching a bit of the end of Raw, they're making better booking decisions.

AEW has to really get this backstage BS under control, this isn't the 80's where behind of the curtain stuff was expected and it wasn't a surprise for Wrestlers to brawl with each other (Thanks to a steady diet of liquor, cocaine and steroids.

One day everyone should read the story of a coked up Anvil brawling with Vince on the top story of a hotel and trying to spear Vince out of the window.

I guess Tony was really upset at the WWE for running two prime wrestling shows this weekend to his one and accused them of trying to give AEW the Jim Crockett treatment.

The poor guys probably going to have a heart attack.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:15 PM   #4525
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Paul Heyman running AEW would be a f'ing blast, IMO.
It would, but honestly, Paul Heyman is a genius, he knows how to build characters, he knows how to tell stories, and he understands business.

One of the great interviews on Stone Colds broadcast years ago went into a discussion of protecting finishing moves, he talked about being able to make a sleeper hold a devastating finishing move if you protect it. (Stampede Wrestling made the sleeper look like attempted murder). Now we have wrestlers kicking out of finishing moves multiple times in a match.

But Heyman needs to have a filter personality to reign in some of his creative ideas.

It also sounds like Heyman who now has a good relationship with Stephanie is working in creative with WWE.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:23 PM   #4526
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Whatever happened to Velveteen dream?

Well lets see in the last couple of weeks he's been arrested twice, once for battery, and once for Drug Paraphernalia.

Then EC3 talked about ummmm

https://nodq.com/news/ec3-claims-tha...thout-consent/

Spoiler!

Old 09-05-2022, 09:26 PM   #4527
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Punk draws money and pops rating. Omega really doesn't and Moxley and maybe its me isn't all that great.
The ratings when Omega was champ were pretty comparable to when Punk was champ, and that was with Omega being booked pretty terribly. I know I just mentioned gate revenue, but you also have to take into consideration that almost the entirety of Mox's run, and big chunk of Kenny's, was during the pandemic.

I think one of the great tragedies of AEW was them totally wasting "Best 'Bout Machine" Kenny by sticking him in a tag team, putting him in dumb gimmick matches, and overbooking some of his matches. Just let the dude do what he does best.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 09:42 PM   #4528
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, Omega IS a top draw. Nothing beats that match from last September of him vs. Danielson… that was A+ Omega. The arena was NUTS that night; it’s buildups and matches like that is why I watch wrestling.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 10:37 PM   #4529
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Punk is a big draw, but his pops are why they keep going back to Chicago.

Omega is the star for modern millenial / gen z. Five-star Talented, androgynous, influencer, and gamer. I think older fans just don't get him.

Punk has his appeal, but it's not that. And he's not got long left I also think he's just average in the ring.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:04 AM   #4530
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

All this talk about the in-fighting in AEW and no talk of how Raw absolutely knocked it out of the park last night!

Every match had a story. There were reasons for every match.

The exchange between KO and (Austin) Theory was really good, even if Theory was fumbling it at the start. You could see the freedom given now instead of Vince shoe horning phrases into everything.

Then the match with KO and Theory was a match of the year candidate. Kevin Owens is going to go on a major heater. The crowd is really digging the new (old) KO.

The whole show was awesome and the best Raw has been in years!
Old 09-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #4531
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

HHH has been elevated to Chief Content Officer.

Quote:
As Chief Content Officer, Levesque will oversee Creative Writing, Talent Relations, Live Events, Talent Development and Creative Services. The role will report to WWE co-CEO Nick Khan.
https://www.wwe.com/article/triple-h...ontent-officer
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:57 AM   #4532
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Is he needed? No, probably not. He's put them over the top since he arrived though and I don't think the company is better off without him. That's why it's so mind boggling that the guys who look the best for getting Punk through the door and get the most out of the company's success are the ones goading him and leaking things to the dirt sheets.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #4533
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Is he needed? No, probably not. He's put them over the top since he arrived though and I don't think the company is better off without him. That's why it's so mind boggling that the guys who look the best for getting Punk through the door and get the most out of the company's success are the ones goading him and leaking things to the dirt sheets.
They may not be better off without him...but I'm not sure how much better off they are with him either.

I've actually not really been a fan of anything he's done in AEW so far. He's a big name, and helps attract some former WWE fans, but I'm not sure he actually make the product any better even if he does move the ratings a little.

I'm not really a Young Bucks guy either and think they have the same spot fest match every time out.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #4534
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I'm not a Punk fan either, so I'm kind of biased. He does get a good pop though.

In hindsight, the guy should have only been brought back for a match or two, not as a full-time roster member. He could add so much just by being a non-wrestling personality. Maybe hit a Go To Sleep here and there and good enough. He doesn't need to wrestle or mess with the booking to get Punk fans to watch.

I think Russo and Cornette are both right about this situation though - if you're the Promoter, never be friends with your talent - you need to just be the manager. It will get too political. Tony Khan is looking like a dweeb during this whole thing.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #4535
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Punk might be done just based on the twitter murmurs.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #4536
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I'm thinking Punk is toast and legal action is pending.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1567257625800097792
Old 09-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #4537
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be interesting to see what they do with the title with Punk potentially gone.

Also it seems crazy that somehow Page saying that Punk wasn't actually about Workers Rights is what triggered this. To me when I saw that promo it felt like a throwaway because Punk had been tweeting that week about workers rights and standing up for your fellow worker - in regards to the MJF stuff.

More had to have been brewing beneath the surface for sure in terms of the relationship between the Elite, Page, and Punk.

Couldn't all just be because of that promo.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-06-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:43 PM   #4538
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Will be interesting to see what they do with the title with Punk potentially gone.

Also it seems crazy that somehow Page saying that Punk wasn't actually about Workers Rights is what triggered this. To me when I saw that promo it felt like a throwaway because Punk had been tweeting that week about workers rights and standing up for your fellow worker - in regards to the MJF stuff.

More had to have been brewing beneath the surface for sure in terms of the relationship between the Elite, Page, and Punk.

Couldn't all just be because of that promo.
I think some of it stemmed from various things, including All Out 2019 in which the Bucks approached Punk about returning and they got rebuffed. But who really knows what the nuance is here.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #4539
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is only one thing I know here.

If they could get over themselves, get in a room, hash this out, and actually use this in a storyline they would make so much money.

I'm not sure I've seen more discussion and interest in a story related to wrestling in the Twitter/Social media era.

Punk, FTR, Adam Cole VS Page, Young Bucks, Omega on PPV would be printing money at this point.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-06-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #4540
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I think some of it stemmed from various things, including All Out 2019 in which the Bucks approached Punk about returning and they got rebuffed. But who really knows what the nuance is here.
Am I taking crazy pills? I thought it was very obviously Colt Cabana being brought up that kicked all of this into overdrive.

Legal action would be hilarious. Show up in a dressing room and corner a guy 3 to 1 and be shocked when you get decked. "Executives" without a clue. Say what you will about Punk's rant, he nailed the "couldn't manage a target" line.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote