Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #81
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I'd be curious to know if he drained his bank accounts prior to leaving.
The dude worked at a call centre. I doubt he had any money in the bank. It was probably the bank of mom and dad (his dad is a judge) that paid for his travels. But who knows - backpacking is pretty cheap once your flights overseas are paid for.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-06-2018 at 01:36 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #82
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've heard a couple of rumors out there that Boyle was in the Prime Ministers office to try to force a monetary settlement for his time in custody and how Canada didn't rush to his rescue.

I doubt the sources, but I can't see any other reason for Trudeau and his security allowing him in.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #83
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is going to sound like I'm taking a shot at the Conservatives but I'm actually speaking from strategic perspective. I don't think the Conservatives want to get into the guilty by association game because they'll get absolutely hammered for their associations with the likes of Levant, Fox News, etc. I get that the alt+right isn't the same as Islamic extremism but it's still something they're going to want to downplay as much as possible.
I think your stretching when you compare Fox News and Levant to a murderous group of religious thugs.

Strategically the Conservatives though don't need to go after the Boyle thing. Trudeau and his ministers have done a lot of self damage last year anyways.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #84
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've heard a couple of rumors out there that Boyle was in the Prime Ministers office to try to force a monetary settlement for his time in custody and how Canada didn't rush to his rescue.

I doubt the sources, but I can't see any other reason for Trudeau and his security allowing him in.

Custody of the Taliban?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #85
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

the conservatives strategy will be to:

a) demonstrate that Trudeau has no idea what a regular family or Canadian does on a daily basis.; and

b) that Scheer is capable as a leader. The 'aw shucks' public persona isn't going to work for a Prime Minister's job.

they don't need to go after the Boyle Trudeau relationship. Trudeau will have enough miscues on his own that they won't need to reach that deep into the bag.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #86
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trudeau has shown some pretty awful judgment in recent months.

1) Completely underestimating and dismissing the ethics commissioner report as having to "clear his vacations with the commissioner" like that was the problem.

2) Boyle.

Not to mention that the taxes he and Morneau are implementing punish the "working rich" instead of the "generational rich" like Trudeau and Morneau and then hanging out with his billionaire "friend" the Aga Khan on his private island shows that he's completely out of touch with not only the average Canadian but even the wealthy working Canadians.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #87
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The dude worked at a call centre. I doubt he had any money in the bank. It was probably the bank of mom and dad (his dad is a judge) that paid for his travels. But who knows - backpacking is pretty cheap once your flights overseas are paid for.
My point was more along the lines that there should be some trail which may have shed some more light on his intentions. As an example, they could always check with his work to see if he outright quit, asked for a leave of absence or took vacation.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #88
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ourt-1.4504010

19 new charges. Can we start a go-fund-me to send him back to Afghanistan?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #89
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow, the guy sounds like he took a training course with the terrorist group that took him.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #90
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bump story gets nasty as the Boyles fire back and forth in their affidavits in court

https://nationalpost.com/news/local-...2-b0355c558e62

Quote:
Caitlan Coleman says her husband, Joshua Boyle, deepened the nightmare of her captivity during their five years as hostages in Central Asia.

In unsealed court documents, Coleman alleges she was physically and emotionally abused by Boyle while they were being held by the Taliban-linked Haqqani network.

“J.B. (Joshua Boyle) regularly threatened to kill me by setting me on fire,” Coleman says in an affidavit filed in June as part of a family court application to gain sole custody of the couple’s children

Quote:
n his 23-page affidavit, Boyle alleges his wife assaulted him and neglected their children because of untreated mental health issues.

He also alleges Coleman tried to push him in front of a Toronto Transit Commission subway car years before they were married.

Justice Engelking, however, said she received no evidence to support the contention that Coleman suffers from a mental health issue that could affect her suitability as a parent.

Quote:
One month later, Boyle visited Coleman at her home in Pennsylvania where they reconciled. They agreed to go backpacking through Central Asia, he says, and decided to leave on the trip even after finding out that Coleman was pregnant with their first child. They departed in July 2012.

In her affidavit, Coleman insists that she reluctantly agreed to the trip only after Boyle promised not to go to Afghanistan. Boyle disclosed his true intentions after they landed in Central Asia, she says, “so that I would not back out.”

Old 09-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #91
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He also alleges Coleman tried to push him in front of a Toronto Transit Commission subway car years before they were married.
That he would still marry her is only more evidence of how crazy he is. Sounds like they are both crazy, but him moreso.

What an insane story. Would make a good season of Homeland.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote