Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2024, 03:03 PM   #1161
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The BC United party is saying that they are going to eliminate PST on new builds and have a rent-to-own system for condos. They will make it so developers have to set aside 15% of the units for rent-to-own with 100% of the rent going into the purchase.

It's about time something like this is being proposed in BC.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:37 PM   #1162
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The BC United party is saying that they are going to eliminate PST on new builds and have a rent-to-own system for condos. They will make it so developers have to set aside 15% of the units for rent-to-own with 100% of the rent going into the purchase.

It's about time something like this is being proposed in BC.
This does nothing to increase affordability when municipalities continue to block building multi-family dwellings. The province also doesn't lack for condos right now.

This is the BC United handing out gifts to their developer and real estate buddies again under the guise of public good.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:23 PM   #1163
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Things are getting heated in Richmond over a proposed safe supply site:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/globaln...-site-vch/amp/

The progressives telling Chinese Canadians to go back where they came from is an interesting turn
Huh. That was interesting, if not somewhat predictable.

I dont know. Having a safe-consumption site in a Hospital District doesnt seem unreasonable at all, but by the same token its really hard to determine the success rate of these sites.

Its great to give addicts a safe-space and safe drugs as they 'transition to getting clean' as that one guy alludes to, but...what percentage of addicts is that? How successful is it?

Any which way you slice it, it will consume time, money and resources but if you want to be compassionate then you should have already made peace with that.

I don't have an answer which I guess is the answer. You cant 'Quantify' it. Its not strictly a numbers game. Its an ethics and morality issue...good luck measuring those.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:14 PM   #1164
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is the Richmond Hospital precinct? I have a house a few streets down from the hospital so know the area well. It's a residential neighborhood with houses right across the street from the actual hospital at Gilbert and Westminster and a highschool about a 15-minute walk away. Not sure if the Richmond Hospital precinct is planning to go up somewhere new? The hospital is super old and I was always wondering when they'd move it somewhere else with more space to fulfill the needs given how much Richmond has grown. Maybe the residents are complaining because of how close it would be to their homes and Richmond High.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:29 PM   #1165
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if its that close to the High School thats just 2 birds with 1 stone.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-27-2024, 10:54 AM   #1166
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The progressives sure do make life entertaining:
Quote:
The Province of British Columbia is now instructing its residents not to refer to themselves as “British Columbians” as the term is offensive.

The correct term, according to the guide, is “people living in B.C.”
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ians-offensive
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:02 AM   #1167
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

they should rename the province then

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:04 AM   #1168
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

God forbid government workers use accurate language.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:05 AM   #1169
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
they should rename the province then
To what?
Old 02-27-2024, 11:11 AM   #1170
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
God forbid government workers use accurate language.
"People/Persons" might be offensive as well. It is probably better to go with "carbon-based life forms".
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:16 AM   #1171
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"People/Persons" might be offensive as well. It is probably better to go with "carbon-based life forms".

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 11:16 AM   #1172
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only an absolute idiot would think that those two things are comparable analogies.

Again, it's also not entirely about what's offensive/inoffensive. It's about recognizing accurate terminology to describe people who live in B.C., who may not identify as British Columbians due to how they view their relationship with their traditional territories. Due to the fact that most of these territories being unceded in B.C., the courts and the government recognize them as nations within Canada.

Conservatives sure do get pissy about the dumbest ####.

EDIT: Also, how does this affect your life in any way? Are you a government worker in B.C.?
Old 02-27-2024, 11:18 AM   #1173
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you dine on a steady diet of Tristin Hopper content, this is about the level of dialogue you can expect.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:19 AM   #1174
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgarygeologist is a POS
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:20 AM   #1175
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
When you dine on a steady diet of Tristin Hopper content, this is about the level of dialogue you can expect.
I have no idea who this clown is, but how does anyone read chud-brained #### like this and think "Wow, he has some really good points."

Quote:
Awkwardly, the memo on “British Columbians” now being an offensive term has not yet made its way to the provincial government itself.

The official website of the ruling BC NDP contains nearly 900 usages of the term “British Columbians,” including many press statements issued in just the last few weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 11:22 AM   #1176
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've taken the provincial Indigenous training courses and this theme has been around for a while as it pertains to using the term "Canadians". Some Indigenous People don't consider themselves Canadians, some do, and some consider themselves both. There is no hard and fast rule and it varies from person to person. As such, we are trained to avoid calling them Canadians unless we know that is how they identify. It looks like it is being extended to the term "British Columbian" now.

I am surprised that the government is now referencing immigrants and refugees who do not want to be called "British Columbians". I get it from an Indigenous perspective because they were here first before those terms even existed, but it doesn't feel the same for people who come here after. I am not sure why, but it feels different.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:22 AM   #1177
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I have no idea who this clown is, but how does anyone read chud-brained #### like this and think "Wow, he has some really good points."
Well, see, he gets his leads for stories from places like True North, as pointed out in the article. And if that's the kind of place a "journalist" finds stories, well...
Old 02-27-2024, 11:25 AM   #1178
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am surprised that the government is now referencing immigrants and refugees who do not want to be called "British Columbians" now. I get it from an Indigenous perspective because they were here first before those terms even existed, but it doesn't feel the same for people who come here after. I am not sure why, but it feels different.
Yeah, that stood out to me as well, but at the end of the day, I can't imagine why this would bother anyone other than government employees who might be tasked with re-writing official documents.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:05 PM   #1179
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like this idea...I kinda abhor the idea of being referred to as an Albertan *shudder*. I'm just a mostly sensible person living in Alberta.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 12:19 PM   #1180
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I actually like this idea...I kinda abhor the idea of being referred to as an Albertan *shudder*. I'm just a mostly sensible person living in Alberta.
Naw, in Alberta we are working our way back to B.C., but for us it's the time period.

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world