Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2024, 11:35 AM   #801
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
In the year 2024, how many people have not had their 'initial' bout of COVID yet? Studies from the Summer of 2023 suggest that that population is 25% or lower.
I don't think I've had it (knock on wood). I was sick for 2/3 days last Christmas, little garbage tests were negative. Might need to get re-boosted.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:41 AM   #802
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My wife and I haven't.
Have you been tested to confirm?

Given you have reduced exposure and mask well it’s quite possible you have had an asymptomatic case even given your higher risk category
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:46 AM   #803
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Have you been tested to confirm?

Given you have reduced exposure and mask well it’s quite possible you have had an asymptomatic case even given your higher risk category
No, but the few times we were concerned we tested several times and never had a positive. I guess it's possible, but I'd lean towards unlikely. We don't spend time unmasked around anyone with symptoms, or even concerns of it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 12:07 PM   #804
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No, but the few times we were concerned we tested several times and never had a positive. I guess it's possible, but I'd lean towards unlikely. We don't spend time unmasked around anyone with symptoms, or even concerns of it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10187791/...guidance-btnx/

Quote:
The device could detect the virus in users who were the most contagious, but results from evaluation programs run by leading regulators indicate BTNX’s test was much less dependable in all other cases.

This apparent flaw meant the test kit was more likely to produce false-negative results which, some experts said, put Canadian lives at risk. Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada bought 404 million tests from BTNX.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:08 PM   #805
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can you get tested to see if you have had it?
Old 01-04-2024, 12:11 PM   #806
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, ya, I know I can't be 100% sure, but we also haven't really gotten sick, we were testing after potential known exposures, usually 3 or so times a day for 4 days. We weren't testing because we were hacking up lungs wondering what we have. And as someone who is pretty much guaranteed to be hit by a few colds a year, and haven't been sick in 4, well, I'm guessing there is a good chance our measures protecting us from all respiratory viruses have worked, accepting there is a possibility that yes, we both had asymptomatic covid while being immune suppressed and never knowing it. Slim, sure. But it is a possibility.

I'm not sure what the point of this conversation is.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:23 PM   #807
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was more curious if you had serology testing regularly and knew you didn’t have Covid.

I want to know the answer of one of the topics of discussion in Covid

You will eventually get vs you can protect yourself forever.

My personal philosophy was you are going to get it eventually so take precautions until vaccines were available and maintain recommended vaccination rates then don’t worry about it. There is not much population level seroprevelamce testing going on anymore so not much good info.

The other question I have around long covid is is your risk of long covid the same per infection or does it eventually approach 0 on a new infection. If it would approach 0 in a cautious approach and an active approach then the decision to lick door knobs wouldn’t matter.

There was a recent study which I haven’t read yet that suggests it’s per infection from the headline.

https://www.sciencealert.com/every-c...id-study-warns

Last edited by GGG; 01-04-2024 at 12:25 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:26 PM   #808
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Can you get tested to see if you have had it?
https://ichorblood.ca/pages/COVID-19...ody+Testing/14

This kind of does it. If you have gone a long time since Vaccination it could give you some impression on if you have antibodies to COVID.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:29 PM   #809
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We honestly wouldn't be so concerned if we had a functioning medical system, but after being let down by it, and having that exacerbate many issues makes the prospect of any additional illness worth our effort to avoid. I get most people don't care or worry about those things, but that's our life now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-04-2024, 12:38 PM   #810
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post

This kind of does it. If you have gone a long time since Vaccination it could give you some impression on if you have antibodies to COVID.
$120. NOPE! Haha
Old 01-04-2024, 01:31 PM   #811
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

After 4+ years, I finally got it, and passed it over to my little guy too. Small external work meeting where 2 participants were unknowingly positive. Fortunately for us, we been consistently vaccinated whenever we were due for the next round of vaccines, so the both of us only had very mild symptoms. I wasn't going to test at first since I only had a slight runny nose and a cough, but sure enough positive. Son was almost asymptomatic. My wife is the last one of us standing
Old 01-04-2024, 01:48 PM   #812
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post

Vaccination shouldn't impact that, as antibody tests normally test for antibodies for the N protein, which you only produce after an infection (vaccines target the spike protein). Though if someone was infected a long time ago, their antibodies might not be detectable.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:48 PM   #813
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
In the year 2024, how many people have not had their 'initial' bout of COVID yet? Studies from the Summer of 2023 suggest that that population is 25% or lower.
Yep, felt achy on New Year's Day, sniffly and knew I wasn't hung over. Went in the hot tub to try an ease the aches....got lazy and stayed in for an hour and was even more achy. Went about the rest of the day, woke up the next day, checked if I had a fever which I never get, I did so tested and boom! 2024 Covid for me!

Nobody else in my house has it. My wife and I have had 4 shots, kids 3 each. We've all had Covid at least once. This is my 3rd time. Fun stuff!

First was a really bad cold, head full of pressure and exhausted.

Second time, only tested because I knew I had been exposed and was headed out for a live fantasy draft, no symptoms at all.

This time, moderate cold symptoms, but man am I tired! I generally sleep 6-8 hours a night, usually right around 7.

The last 72 hours I have probably spent 36+ sleeping or napping. Feeling better today, still tired but only one map after 10 hours of sleep.

Last edited by zukes; 01-04-2024 at 01:51 PM.
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:25 PM   #814
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I havent had it.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:34 PM   #815
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChoy View Post
After 4+ years, I finally got it, and passed it over to my little guy too. Small external work meeting where 2 participants were unknowingly positive. Fortunately for us, we been consistently vaccinated whenever we were due for the next round of vaccines, so the both of us only had very mild symptoms. I wasn't going to test at first since I only had a slight runny nose and a cough, but sure enough positive. Son was almost asymptomatic. My wife is the last one of us standing
"Wait, that can't be right."
*checks math*
"... dear god."
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 07:53 AM   #816
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to have gotten the norovirus recently, as have about 10 other family members from a family new years gathering. Barely able to eat anything the past few days, constant diarrhea, violent puking the first day. Worst thing ever.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:02 AM   #817
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I seem to have gotten the norovirus recently, as have about 10 other family members from a family new years gathering. Barely able to eat anything the past few days, constant diarrhea, violent puking the first day. Worst thing ever.
I mentioned in the thread earlier we got hit over the Christmas break too and inadvertently exposed some family members. Interestingly, all of us in our house got it, but none of the family that visited got it. What type of incubation period did you guys have? Ours was weird in that it was over 72 hours for everyone as opposed to 12-48 hours that it usually is.

In other news, I drive by the urgent care clinic in the south every day just after 8AM and each day there’s been a line up out the door of 15-20 people.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:30 AM   #818
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never had it. Although I'm sure I just jinxed myself.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 08:56 AM   #819
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My daughter has never had it (or if she did it was asymptomatic). It went through our house at Christmas a few years ago but if she picked it up it didn't show.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:09 AM   #820
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

An estimated 20-40 per cent of covid infections are asymptomatic. So I wouldn’t be confident you’ve never had it just because you haven’t been sick.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote