Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #5281
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Huh, I just assumed that horse was from a Dothraki Screamer that got picked off. Being white and all I'm sure it's meant to be chock full of symbolism for something.
"Death Rides a Pale Horse"
(from Revelations)
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #5282
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Arya seems to keep bouncing back and forth between super OP assassin and scared little innocent girl. What's the point of her plot or character progression?

It ticked me off...maybe that's just me?
Oh that has been explained before in this thread. Blame the concussions from her constant head knocking....

I was hoping the horse led her to Ned at the end of the road. and that she died and the horse was in her after life. But nope, she is still around in the scenes from next week.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #5283
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
You can be scared when a dragon is continually swooping down firebombing a city, the world crashing around you while still being a super OP assassin.

The Hound was a super OP fighter while turning into a scared little innocent boy during the Battle of Blackwater Bay. Did that tick you off?
No because we know about the Hound's history with fire.

And Arya was able to be super OP assassin 2 episodes ago sneaking past an undead dragon, a pack of White Walkers, and thousands of wights.

Show writers seem inconsistent with who they want Arya to be.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #5284
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Revelation 6:8
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
This show is shameless they will steal from anywhere.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #5285
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Revelation 6:8
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
This show is shameless they will steal from anywhere.
And the Bible stole it from a Johnny Cash song. Disgraceful.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #5286
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Re: Hand photo

This is what I call nitpicking that's dragged down the discussion and fanbase of the show. It's infuriating that some point to continuity errors as a reason to hate on Game of Thrones, it's crazy.

Jon Snow had a rubber sword during the Battle of the Bastards at one point. In season one an extra/crew member was seen in jeans and winterjacket. Endless other examples. These things happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
There's a faction of fans that split off into deciding they were going to crap on the rest of the season no matter what after episode 3 didn't go the way they wanted.

I think this is a minority that are being very vocal (as upset people tend to be) and going out of their way to downvote episodes even before they air.

I don't think those people would be happy any which way the last episode went down and probably have no intention of seeing the other side of it since they've built up so much moment on the "this sucks" train.

If you actively watch for discontinuities between camera cuts on almost any show or movie, you would find a lot. It is quite common.
You guys are being quite dramatic.
The person who posted the photo wasn't even complaining about the episode or season; they were just pointing out a fun little easter egg.

I agree there's a few people here that have been increasing annoying, but this aint it.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #5287
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

And Arya was able to be super OP assassin 2 episodes ago sneaking past an undead dragon, a pack of White Walkers, and thousands of wights.

I liked the change.

Arya was dead set on revenge, like she has been for 90% of this show. The Hound knew they would probably die in order to reach Cersei, and had maybe the only legitimate heart to heart conversation in his entire interactions with her (or anyone else) on the show.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #5288
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m glad we got a really solid episode yesterday overall. I was really worried after that fourth episode which was a low point in the entire series for me, that they were just going to mail it in to the finish line but clearly not the case.

That fan edit of the iron born killing the dragon is the stuff that infuriates the fan base. An unpaid fan in less than a week managed to edit the scene to be better than it aired, using only the actual footage from that scene. That’s absolutely inexcusable from HBO to have that low of quality in their product.

The coffee cup etc is more like who cares. I couldn’t have spotted that if my life depended on it. The internet finds these things because it’s 100 million eyeballs but they don’t actually lower the quality of the show.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #5289
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I liked the change.

Arya was dead set on revenge, like she has been for 90% of this show. The Hound knew they would probably die in order to reach Cersei, and had maybe the only legitimate heart to heart conversation in his entire interactions with her (or anyone else) on the show.
He couldn't have told her that during their 50 hour horse back ride to Kings Landing? Kind of ridiculous he gets through to her in a 15 second speech...
Old 05-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #5290
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
You guys are being quite dramatic.
The person who posted the photo wasn't even complaining about the episode or season; they were just pointing out a fun little easter egg.

I agree there's a few people here that have been increasing annoying, but this aint it.
Already saw comments elsewhere about it, was probably funneling my comments here about thoses, point taken however.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #5291
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

She panicked against the walkers. You had the whole library sequence.

The red women calmed her down and refocused her.

I think surviving being engulfed in dragon fire was a bit much and if she had died and the horse was the afterlife I think that would have been a good end for her. No issues with her not being a superhero.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #5292
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Or you're too rigid in who you think Arya is, perhaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
He couldn't have told her that during their 50 hour horse back ride to Kings Landing? Kind of ridiculous he gets through to her in a 15 second speech...
One has to wonder of the situation surrounding them suddenly came into play. No way was Sandor turning Arya around during the ride to King's Landing. The context of their survival changed dramatically.

Pycnet covered this perfectly two pages back.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
AC, Zevo
Old 05-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #5293
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watches the episode, and all I can say is wow.

What a fantastic pile of turd that episode was. Nothing made a any sense. Half the way through I started to just laugh out loud at just how incredibly dumb and bad it was.

At this point I think the only way to watch the last episode is as a drinking game.

I honestly don't see why someone would even bother to rationalize what any character does, because there isn't even a hint of character, plot or world consistency left at this point. It's just a bunch of random stupid crap someone thinks would be cool.

Last edited by Itse; 05-13-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #5294
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
The situation had changed dramatically. They didn't know if the attack on the city would be successful. Even if it was successful, there could have been many ways for Cersei to survive it.

By the time they're in the map room, the whole castle is crumbling around them and Dany is torching the entire city. There is no doubt that Cersei is going to die. The only thing that Arya will accomplish by going with him is getting herself killed.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #5295
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about Qyburn biting it at the hands of his own creation? Always felt like that guy's head had the consistency of an overripe melon.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #5296
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
How about Qyburn biting it at the hands of his own creation? Always felt like that guy's head had the consistency of an overripe melon.
That death was probably the most surprising one from last episode.
Not that he died, but how he died I guess.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #5297
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One of the best deaths in the series imo.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #5298
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose he at least got a quick and painless death. Burning to death as so many did in that episode can't be a good way to go.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #5299
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you think this is the only reason she goes mad, you haven't been paying very much attention. She showed up in Westeros with 3 dragons and 2 massive armies. She was then convinced to not do what she wanted, take the Iron throne. This led to the loss of half her armies and 2 of her dragons. Varys betrayed her, Ser Jorah, the one person who truly loved her died, She can't trust her hand at all, and the man she thought loved her betrayed her the second after she begged him not to. She has lost everything, and was hearing the bells, realizing that it was probably another failure form Tyrion. She sees what is going on and decides the only solution is full destruction. She even said something similar earlier about starting from scratch. Her arc is one of the most complete on the show. Jon not kissing her probably wasn't even the proverbial straw.
Ok so all of that is true but how exactly do we get to senselessly murdering hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians tie into her desperation?

As someone pointed out, it would make sense if she went after the Red Keep and Cersei and in the process killed some civilians who were basically Cersei’s human shields.

But why in God’s name would Dany murder hundreds of thousands of people and destroy everything but Cersei and the Red Keep (until the end)? It literally has no purpose and achieves nothing.

Trying to claim anyone who doesn’t “get it” must be not paying attention is a cop out. You’re connecting dots that don’t exist. I’d argue the people paying attention are the ones pointing out how ridiculous it seemed.

What’s worse is that I think this is similar to GRRMs ending. It’s just that the show did an awful job of getting us to this point and now nothing makes sense.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #5300
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Arya gunna poison every single cup of wine at the coronation, everyone toasts, she drinks and her Final words will be "What do we tell the God of Death? .... Today". Everyone drops dead, Arya included. Roll credits
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote