Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2022, 01:08 PM   #6741
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
They will not rebuild but it’s no longer a good team without Johnny. Borderline playoff team if that.
For what it's worth JFresh projects the Flames at second in the Pacific and third in the west if Gaudreau walks.

It needs to be taken with a grain of salt since it has teams missing players, for example Colorado and Toronto probably have replacement level goalies at the moment.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1545784172236587008
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 01:12 PM   #6742
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, no. Tkachuk and the Flames can also continue to negotiate a new contract. Why would he just settle for his QO? Even if he had every intention of becoming a UFA next year, it seems incredibly unlikely to me that he would just settle on his QO right away.

As usual, this is just you running around and screaming at everyone that your hair is on fire.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
And why would Tkachuk do what you're suggesting? Why would he bother going through the motions of negotiating a one-year deal when he can just accept the qualifying offer - which is a one-year deal - and then be available to all 32 teams next summer? Do you think the Flames are going to sweeten the pot in any way for a guy that is pushing to be an UFA next year? What would be their benefit in bumping the price up if the intention is to sign that one-year deal and go achieve the UFA status?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:21 PM   #6743
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

what are the rules for QO? Can it be 7 years, $9M, or can it only be 1 year term?

Is arbitration an option to buy time?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #6744
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Disagree, Gaudreau was in on 40% of this teams offense, he stirs the drink
The offense is not going to drop by 40%. Nothing even close to that. Someone else (or multiple players) will "stir the drink." And even if not quite as effectively, the team will still be able to score. Even if they lost 50% of Gaudreau's production (which I think is incredibly unlikely) the Flames would still have the sixth best goal differential in the Conference, and likely second or third in the division.

When a player is moved, the value of his production is not reduced to nothing. We have seen this happen every time when a player changes teams—offensive production never drops as steeply as you imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #6745
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

72 hours of unbridled anxiety on tap!

And the most important week of Trees career.

Here. We. Go.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:38 PM   #6746
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
what are the rules for QO? Can it be 7 years, $9M, or can it only be 1 year term?

One year for QO.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:41 PM   #6747
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post

A qualifying offer is a one-year contract offer extended to restricted free agent to retain the player's negotiating rights. For a player of Tkachuk's contract level is means the Flames must offer at least the same amount as earned last season ($9M) to retain his rights. If the Flames fail to extend the qualifying offer, Tkachuk immediately becomes an UFA. The Flames could elect to take Tkachuk to arbitration and hope the arbiter agrees with them and awards a lesser salary, but the minimum the arbiter could award is 85% of what Tkachuk earned last season, and then only for a max two-year contract. Most contracts awarded are one-year deals, and most arbitrations are settled before the arbiter has a chance to force an award. I don't see the arbitration setting as a means to buy time, but the Flames could go that route if they honestly believe that setting the Gaudreau contract situation will have influence on the Tkachuk contract.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #6748
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

An arbitration would piss Tkachuk off and guarantee he won’t extend, plus probably sour him into not playing particularly well, though it would be another contract year. If the Flames want to move him, they’d qualify him maybe with a heavy signing bonus (not sure if that’s how you can do it) and make him attractive as a rental.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #6749
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At this point, the Flames need to sign Tkachuk to a long term deal or he is going UFA next year.

Sure they can trade him but the return is probably much less after he goes UFA
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:21 PM   #6750
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
At this point, the Flames need to sign Tkachuk to a long term deal or he is going UFA next year.

Yes. I am sure the return for an unrestricted free agent (nothing) is much less than it would be for a player who is still under contract (something). Well done.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #6751
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks tips.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #6752
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The offense is not going to drop by 40%. Nothing even close to that. Someone else (or multiple players) will "stir the drink." And even if not quite as effectively, the team will still be able to score. Even if they lost 50% of Gaudreau's production (which I think is incredibly unlikely) the Flames would still have the sixth best goal differential in the Conference, and likely second or third in the division.

When a player is moved, the value of his production is not reduced to nothing. We have seen this happen every time when a player changes teams—offensive production never drops as steeply as you imagine.

I don’t know. You lose Johnny, not only you lose his production, you also lose his impact on the success of other players. Guys like Tkachuk and Lindholm depend on him. The whole PP run through him as we have no #1D. Team can also focus on stopping Tkachuk and Mangi instead. So many negatives.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:25 PM   #6753
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. I am sure the return for an unrestricted free agent (nothing) is much less than it would be for a player who is still under contract (something). Well done.

I meant after he qualified to go UFA next year
Old 07-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #6754
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
I don’t know. You lose Johnny, not only you lose his production, you also lose his impact on the success of other players. Guys like Tkachuk and Lindholm depend on him. The whole PP run through him as we have no #1D. Team can also focus on stopping Tkachuk and Mangi instead. So many negatives.
I disagree with this sentiment. Yeah Johnny produces with them but you cannot deny he wouldn't be as successful as he was without them specifically either. Lindholms a Selke level #1 C and Chucky is second to none at what he does.

I just don't think the team as whole will drop as starkly as some of you want to believe with Johnny gone.

Last edited by dammage79; 07-10-2022 at 02:38 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:32 PM   #6755
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Qualifying Offer is just paperwork to maintain the player's rights. Players don't often sign them as written, especially players of Tkachuk's calibre.

Another thing to keep in mind is filing for arbitration takes away a player's options of signing an Offer Sheet, so Tkachuk and Mangiapane might decide the Offer Sheet threat is a better tactic than arbitration.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #6756
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Offer sheets for either may be a blessing in disguise for the Flames too. Takes all the negotiating power away from Tkachuk. And anything he would sign would guarantee a large haul of draft capital.

I dont much like it, but from a person who doesn't like the idea of having chucky sign the 1 year qo so he can just walk away at the end of the year. It's a silver lining.

And as for Mangiapane. He's got the short straw no matter what happens. He's the last at the feeding trough for FA forwards
Old 07-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #6757
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
A Qualifying Offer is just paperwork to maintain the player's rights. Players don't often sign them as written, especially players of Tkachuk's calibre.

Another thing to keep in mind is filing for arbitration takes away a player's options of signing an Offer Sheet, so Tkachuk and Mangiapane might decide the Offer Sheet threat is a better tactic than arbitration.
True, however most players don't have the option of accepting a QO

Then once the 1 year lapses become a UFA

Its a serious card for Tkachuk and his agent if he wants to leave for another team
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:38 PM   #6758
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
For what it's worth JFresh projects the Flames at second in the Pacific and third in the west if Gaudreau walks.

It needs to be taken with a grain of salt since it has teams missing players, for example Colorado and Toronto probably have replacement level goalies at the moment.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1545784172236587008
So I am supposed to believe the Islanders will be 1st and Minny is better than the Stanley Cup champ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #6759
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I disagree with this sentiment. Yeah Johnny produces with them but you cannot deny he wouldn't be as successful as he was without them specifically either. Lindholms a Selke level #1 C and Chucky is second to none at what he does.

I just don't think the team as whole will drop as starkly as some of you want to believe with Johnny gone.
Fair. We just have different beliefs. Only time will tell.
Hopefully we don’t have to deal with that
Old 07-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #6760
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The last year John Tavares played in NYI they scored 264 goals and Tavares factored in to 32% of the team's production. The following year they scored 228 goals, which is 36 fewer, and accounts for a loss of 43% of his production.

The last full year of Eichel's time in Buffalo the Sabres scored 195 goals, and he factored in to 40% of the team's total offense. In the time since he last played in Buffalo and when the trade was completed the Sabres scored 313 goals in 115 games. This amounts to 223 goals in an 82-game season, which is about nine fewer than when Eichel played, or a reduction of 13% of his production.

The point is, we can't know how Gaudreau's loss will be compensated for, but chances are very low that the entirety of his contribution to the team's production will completely disappear. As I mentioned above, even if there is such a dramatic loss to the tune of 50%—which is incredibly unlikely—the Flames would still almost certainly be a top-six team in the West. They would still be very well coached. They would still get excellent goaltending. They would still get scoring from multiple good forwards like Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Backlund, and Toffoli.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-10-2022 at 02:46 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win