Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #41
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Is there anything to suggest she actually knew what was going on?
Yeah, let’s not go full QAnon here.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #42
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Interesting fact: the direction that the monarch faces on our coins alternates. George VI faced left, Elizabeth II faces right, and Charles (or whatever name he assumes) will face to the left.

I'm not a monarchist by any means, but I do like the Queen. I also find the inevitable transition interesting. Having a new monarch happens so infrequently, especially because of the Queen's own longevity, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Most of us have never had another monarch.
It's like when a pope passes. Things get set in motion that are already predetermined so really nothing "interesting" happens. It's all been planned out for a long time already. Now they just go through the motions.

The only thing that could throw a wrench into the equation is if Charles decides not to be King, but there is a protocol for that too.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #43
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't generally pay attention to that stuff, so I have no idea if there is compelling evidence or not. If there isn't, it seems an awfully calous thing to insinuate about someone on their death bed.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
It’ll be interesting if this will be one of those that people always remember where they were like JFK or Princess Diana. I assume no since there won’t be quite the surprise or shock and the overwhelming presence of constant media and internet in our lives.
She is also 1000 years old and not in the prime of her life and not dying tragic fashion
Old 09-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #45
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
She raised two prolific pedophiles. With any luck, she has an eternity of hellfire in front of her.
Yeah, cuz that’s how eternal damnation should work
Old 09-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #46
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
My Grandpa turn 100 next year and was really hoping to get a letter from her. He's going to be a bit bummed.

I guess Charles face will be on all the Canadian coins now?
I was fine with keeping QE on our currency to respect her legacy, but I really hope we take the opportunity after her passing to put some more notable Canadians on the 20 and coins
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #47
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mom and all her family are from HK, so naturally they've always been very tuned into all things Royal family with HK being a colony for so long. Already received a ton of messages in our HK family group chat about this.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #48
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I was fine with keeping QE on our currency to respect her legacy, but I really hope we take the opportunity after her passing to put some more notable Canadians on the 20 and coins
It should just become a random lottery where one Canadian is selected each year to have their face on the 20. Might want some conditions, like no sex offenders etc., but it would be pretty awesome.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #49
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Washington is still on one dollar bill. Lincoln is on the five. Just because she passes away doesn't mean we have to frantically recall all physical money and reissue it with Chuck on it.

I'm not trying to sound glib or edgy, but sounds like we get a holiday out of her passing.

They've done a lot of bad ####, but I have respect for people who served their country during WWII and she did that, despite having a privileged life. I respect Harry too for his time in the army, earning rank of Captain. (He had tons of honorary titles, but he earned his rank in the army).
The United States have nothing to do with this and shouldn't be looked at as a comparable.

Like it or not, we're still part of the Commonwealth. I'm no expert on the subject but, since it appears to be imminent, I've been doing some Googling. Currency, passports, portraits all have to be changed within a set period of time. Mourning protocol is defined. A whole lot of other protocol and procedure is set in place. All of this is law. None of it has been practiced during the life times of most people. During this process, will most people stare in awe and wonder at the absurdity of how much this is going to cost? Probably. But, hang on to your butts, because it's happening.

Edit...And yes, the Queen's funeral and coronation of the new Monarch will both be national holidays. In Britain for sure. I think the rest of the Commonwealth as well, but will be happy to be corrected on that.

Last edited by Leeman4Gilmour; 09-08-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #50
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's like when a pope passes. Things get set in motion that are already predetermined so really nothing "interesting" happens. It's all been planned out for a long time already. Now they just go through the motions.

The only thing that could throw a wrench into the equation is if Charles decides not to be King, but there is a protocol for that too.
Even the plan itself is interesting though. I don't expect shocks and surprises, but observing the process will be something that we haven't done before.

The pope thing was interesting as well. All of these old rituals like waiting for the puffs of smoke and all that. There is a protocol in place, but seeing it in action is rare.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:01 AM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Uhh hate to break it to you but the photo is real and has been reported on by dozens of major media outlets including the bbc.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:08 AM   #52
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

She's had one hell of a run. I think the brand that is the Monarchy doesn't do well without her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Good lord, let's hope not.
We're gonna have to make all the coins oval so we can fit Charles' ears on them.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:13 AM   #53
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
The United States have nothing to do with this and shouldn't be looked at as a comparable.

Like it or not, we're still part of the Commonwealth. I'm no expert on the subject but, since it appears to be imminent, I've been doing some Googling. Currency, passports, portraits all have to be changed within a set period of time. Mourning protocol is defined. A whole lot of other protocol and procedure is set in place. All of this is law. None of it has been practiced during the life times of most people. During this process, will most people stare in awe and wonder at the absurdity of how much this is going to cost? Probably. But, hang on to your butts, because it's happening.

Edit...And yes, the Queen's funeral and coronation of the new Monarch will both be national holidays. In Britain for sure. I think the rest of the Commonwealth as well, but will be happy to be corrected on that.
Wow are you serious? I just got a 10-year passport.

Can I bill Buckingham palace directly for the replacement?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #54
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
My favourite was the one where Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell were photographed hanging out at the Queen’s cabin at Balmoral. Classic QEII.
I looked it up.
They visited the estate as a guest of Andrew in 1999, when the photo was taken.

So not sure what you're trying to insinuate, as it has nothing to do with the Queen.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #55
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm assuming it would just be the imagery within the passport be changed and all existing passports would still be valid. I can't imagine forcing every person to get a new passport would be viable.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #56
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just as they didn't recall all King George coins (you can still find some in circulation), they won't be recalling anyone's passports. NEW passports, currency, etc. will have modifications but nobody is coming for your already-issued QEII coinage or passports.

You think that the passport office had trouble this year? Can you imagine?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 10:26 AM   #57
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Based on what I've read, yes. I personally think it's a massive waste of public funds and hope they find a way to avoid the expenditure. I have my doubts though. I'm really hoping someone with more knowledge than I (this is a very large group of people so I'm sure there's someone on this forum who fits that bill) will chime in on this.

There's already of lot of dismissive posts in this thread about the Queen's passing. I have no problem with that. Everyone is entitled to how they feel about the Monarchy and/or Queen herself. But, if you don't think for a second the passing of Queen Elizabeth won't be one of, if not the, largest event in modern history for a large portion of the world, you're kidding yourself.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #58
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1567887297315745799

"All powerful" eh?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #59
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be absolute ####ing bull#### if we have to change our passports because the old lady croaked.

Frankly, I think you misunderstood whatever it is you are reading, or the source is hokey.

Why would our passport be invalid just because she passed?
Old 09-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #60
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would be absolute ####ing bull#### if we have to change our passports because the old lady croaked.

Frankly, I think you misunderstood whatever it is you are reading, or the source is hokey.

Why would our passport be invalid just because she passed?
If that were to be the case foreign travel for Canadians would probably be halted for the next two or three years based on the passport debacle that has just played out over the last six months.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: