Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2022, 10:53 PM   #61
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late at night, a car alarm goes off that sounds similar to yours. You wait it out for a minute in bed hoping it's someone else's, but the owner won't shut it off until exactly 1 second after paranoia finally gets the better of you and you jump out of bed to take a look...these are the rules.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 11:44 PM   #62
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Ok, this I disagree with. I'm Asian, so I do eat a lot of rice and noodle dishes, and the microwave is a convenient way to re-heat those. I use my microwave quite a lot.
When I was a student, my microwave broke and I resorted to steaming to reheat all my food. Worked fine but took a hell of a lot longer!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:21 AM   #63
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Now facial hair, that’s a sensible thing to dislike!
Pretty sure that was a "Random Thought" which I thought was ugly, it didn't grind my gears. Was also from an entirely different thread.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #64
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I feel like there is more gravel on the roads. Did street sweeping day coincide with opposite day?
I wonder if it's because we haven't had any big downpours lately that would help get rid of the stragglers?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #65
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dental offices that say they accept emergency patients and then don’t.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #66
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporations and firms that post virtue signaling content on their social media to seem like they're in touch and cool. It's cringey AF.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #67
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's a dental emergency? "Help, my incisor has a gun!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Corporations and firms that post virtue signaling content on their social media to seem like they're in touch and cool. It's cringey AF.
To be fair, they get it from both sides. The public now expects companies to express support for social issues and decry political activity that goes against them. Some employees expect that their company will take a stance on things, especially if that company donates to PACs and whatnot. Others can't stand when the company takes a position on a political issue they don't like, or stay silent. It's a no-win situation because of stupid mantras like "silence is violence".

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-03-2022 at 11:20 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #68
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
What's a dental emergency? "Help, my incisor has a gun!"
It’s like a regular medical emergency, only dental work related
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #69
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Dental offices that say they accept emergency patients and then don’t.
As someone that see's eyeball emergencies there is only so many you can put into the schedule. Also, do not wait until Friday. Everyone books them on Friday afternoon even though it was an issue earlier in the week.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #70
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Late at night, a car alarm goes off that sounds similar to yours. You wait it out for a minute in bed hoping it's someone else's, but the owner won't shut it off until exactly 1 second after paranoia finally gets the better of you and you jump out of bed to take a look...these are the rules.
To be fair, I can never figure out how to deactivate it quickly. Is it quickly push unlock? Hold panic for 3 seconds? Hold panic and lock for 5 seconds? Click and hold the lock button for 1 second?

WTF DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!?! NOTHING HAS HAPPENED THAT IS CONCERNING!!! HOW DO I SHUT YOU UP??

My parent have a van that keeps doing this when I jump start it and I still don't freaking know how to deactivate the alarm.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:33 PM   #71
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The public now expects companies to express support for social issues and decry political activity that goes against them.
But do they? Or do PR flacks make the mistake of thinking the 10 per cent of the population who are highly active on social media about contentious issues = “the public”?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #72
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, not sure anyone is boycotting company X because they didn't change their profile picture on Linkedin during Pride Month.

"I'm never buying another thing that was on a Maersk ship for any amount of time ever again!" Or the opposite "I'm definitely buying a BMW because of the pride background in the profile pic"
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 01:56 PM   #73
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But do they? Or do PR flacks make the mistake of thinking the 10 per cent of the population who are highly active on social media about contentious issues = “the public”?
The squeaky wheels get the grease. I am using 'the public' as shorthand for 'the loud minority on social media', because the actual public at large probably don't really give a crap.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-03-2022 at 02:00 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #74
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It really depends on the company, as you can have companies where 100% of their customers heavily rely on social media (actually social media companies like Twitter, for example) and companies where social media is a complete non-factor.

But at the end of the day, you make decisions related to social media that are catered to the portion of your customer base that are heavy users of social media all the time, because that’s basic business. It doesn’t matter if the public at large or 80% of your customer base doesn’t care/doesn’t see it, they’re a non factor.

Now, a lot of companies are really bad at that, but making decisions related to your corporate social media account catered to the select portion of your customers that are heavy social media users is not controversial.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 03:51 PM   #75
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 06:28 PM   #76
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
As someone that see's eyeball emergencies there is only so many you can put into the schedule. Also, do not wait until Friday. Everyone books them on Friday afternoon even though it was an issue earlier in the week.
Didn’t book in, as it wasn’t planned. I get there are circumstances that can complicate things but when a business advertises that they do emergency walk-ins and you show up right when they open you’d think they would at least be able to do something for you on that day.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #77
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Been a part of a large company that wore sustainability and climate on its sleeve and behind the scenes were about as wasteful as they come.

Just cause companies say they support something doesn't necessarily mean they have any skin in the game whatsoever.

Now it's become about staying relevant ("with the times") which means public back pats often with no actual substance. Look at actions, never words, even ones printed on billboards or pamphlets.

Have to remember we're in the age where content creators rule supreme and "news" comes from just about anywhere, often unsourced, and at least half of the population with limited education will take whatever is put through their social media newsfeed at face value.

To be fair to big companies, many have identified this and are merely taking advantage of the unsuspecting, zombie consumers of today.

Make politically correct statement online with stock photos of ethnically diverse people hugging and smiling, cash in on sales from passionate consumers that won't second guess your BS.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-03-2022 at 07:06 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2022, 06:08 PM   #78
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sounds of that person's voice who does the Sportsnet voiceovers on their promos grinds my gears. Whenever I hear her voice it irritates my ears so much.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #79
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That doesn’t sound like a strong corporate mindset to me… you better squeeze that 10% for every drop you can!
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:19 PM   #80
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My neighbor across the street appeared to have painted their driveway grey? It’s so ugly and I have no idea why you would do that.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote