Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2024, 11:23 PM   #10501
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of the "colleges" bringing in International Students are a complete scam.
They're not only bringing in crazy amounts of people, but they're also scamming the students with completely useless educations that will not be valued anywhere.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:20 AM   #10502
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
To clarify my thoughts a bit, the shortage of housing in some markets and the only solution we can come up with is capping international students seems like we are being fooled that someone is doing something.
That's pretty much the Liberals M.O.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:47 AM   #10503
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To clarify my thoughts a bit, the shortage of housing in some markets and the only solution we can come up with is capping international students seems like we are being fooled that someone is doing something.
It isn’t the only solution we’re coming up with. Governments across Canada are changing zoning laws and introducing tax incentives to get more housing built. But even with those we aren’t going to triple housing starts in this country overnight. It will take years to ramp up housing construction to the levels needed to improve affordability for the current population, let alone another million people a year. Reducing student visas to the levels of 7 or 8 years ago is a measure we can take immediately to let us catch our breath as we carry out the broader, long-term housing strategy.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 08:10 AM   #10504
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
They're not only bringing in crazy amounts of people, but they're also scamming the students with completely useless educations that will not be valued anywhere.
I’ve heard this stated a lot. I have never read anything that defines the scale of this problem. Is there documented information around this issue to demonstrate its scope and percentage of the total numbers.

I’m not doubting this happens my question is is this 1%, 10%, or 50%
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:55 AM   #10505
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the government us studying it now.
This article is about fake acceptance letter scams:
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/1...%20to%20Canada.

That's different from crappy, useless educations however.
I don't have numbers on what these educations translate into.
A lot of that is word of mouth within the Indian community here in Vancouver. Fair point to question the percentages, I'm not sure.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:59 AM   #10506
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, the tried and true scapegoat of foreign buyers ran out once they enacted heavy foreign buyer taxes in places like BC, then a complete ban on foreign buyers nation wide.
Low and behold that wasn't the driving factor

Without that blame card to play, people move on to the next closest thing, international students. As long as there's a coloured folk to blame, some people are content.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:02 AM   #10507
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I’ve heard this stated a lot. I have never read anything that defines the scale of this problem. Is there documented information around this issue to demonstrate its scope and percentage of the total numbers.

Cape Breton University is over 75% foreign students in an area with limit service/part-time type jobs available for them.

Some of these institutions have no other reason to exist.

Quote:
Well, the tried and true scapegoat of foreign buyers ran out once they enacted heavy foreign buyer taxes in places like BC, then a complete ban on foreign buyers nation wide.

Without that blame card to play, people move on to the next closest thing, international students. As long as there's a coloured folk to blame, some people are content.
I think Canada is (in many cases) taking advantage of these students, not the other way around.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 09:08 AM   #10508
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In fairness...regular Universities do that all the time too.

*cough* Art History *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Cape Breton University is over 75% foreign students in an area with limit service/part-time type jobs available for them.

Some of these institutions have no other reason to exist.

I think Canada is (in many cases) taking advantage of these students, not the other way around.
Meh...you're not wrong, but its typically 'quid pro quo.'

Canada and the schools are taking some money, but by being enrolled the kids get easy student VISAs and work towards PR status and eventually citizenship and in the meantime their parents are buying property on Canadian soil and funneling cash into Canadian banks that their home countries then can't touch.

This has been happening for decades.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 09:09 AM   #10509
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Long read, but this article covers the subject in depth. It’s hard to get exact figures on the scope of the problem because it’s mainly happening at private colleges.

https://macleans.ca/longforms/fraud-...onal-students/
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-16-2024, 09:15 AM   #10510
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you think this analysis by the National Bank of Canada economists was motivated by racism?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...igration-bank/
Old 01-16-2024, 09:26 AM   #10511
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, time for some more interest rate hikes?

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...-rate-decision

Canada’s annualized rate of inflation rose to 3.4 per cent in December, according to the latest Consumer Price Index data released by Statistics Canada.

That’s faster than the 3.1 per cent increase recorded in the previous month.

The increase in the headline inflation figure, a change that was anticipated by economists, was largely due to a year-over-year rise in gasoline prices, which were 1.4 per cent higher than in December 2022, even though monthly gasoline prices fell for the fourth month in a row, Statistics Canada said. In November, by contrast, gas prices had declined by 7.7 per cent year over year.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:28 AM   #10512
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Do you think this analysis by the National Bank of Canada economists was motivated by racism?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...igration-bank/
I "think" this is the article without the payment block.

https://financialpost.com/news/canad...conomists-warn

Population is growing faster than the economy can handle, says National

Canada is caught in a “population trap” for the first time in modern history and needs to limit immigration to escape it, say economists with the National Bank of Canada.

A population trap, according to Oxford dictionary, is when the population is growing so fast that all available savings are needed to maintain the existing capital–labour ratio, making any increase in living standards impossible.

National Bank’s report joins the growing chorus of concern that the influx of newcomers over the past two years, many of whom are temporary workers or students, is too much for the economy to handle.

From a global perspective Canada’s population growth of 3.2 per cent last year was five times higher than the average of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development nations.

“We currently lack the infrastructure and capital stock in this country to adequately absorb current population growth and improve our standard of living,” said the economists.

No where is this strain more evident than in housing, they say.

National says the shortfall has reached a record of only one housing start for every 4.2 people entering the working-age population. The historical average is 1.8.

Excessive population growth is also impeding economic well-being, they argue. A fact they say is underscored by real gross domestic product growth per capita stagnating for six years in a row.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:38 AM   #10513
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too...many...people.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 09:40 AM   #10514
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In fairness...regular Universities do that all the time too.

*cough* Art History *cough*

Meh...you're not wrong, but its typically 'quid pro quo.'

Canada and the schools are taking some money, but by being enrolled the kids get easy student VISAs and work towards PR status and eventually citizenship and in the meantime their parents are buying property on Canadian soil and funneling cash into Canadian banks that their home countries then can't touch.

This has been happening for decades.
They actually can't do this right now, even if they have the money.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:44 AM   #10515
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the government us studying it now.
This article is about fake acceptance letter scams:
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/1...%20to%20Canada.

That's different from crappy, useless educations however.
I don't have numbers on what these educations translate into.
A lot of that is word of mouth within the Indian community here in Vancouver. Fair point to question the percentages, I'm not sure.
Studying now? Has the government been skipping classes all year and realized that the exam is next week? The scams in the process have been well known and running for a long time. These are just a few investigative news pieces from a year or two ago already.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:44 AM   #10516
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to get called callous and maybe insensitive or racist for laying this out, but IMO the only solution to this is putting immigrants to work immediately.

Something like new immigrants are immediately put into work camps building national infrastructure projects. They must remain for 2 years working those positions to earn citizenship. They can be fed and boarded during the 2 years by the working company, and the money they would be owed is put into a "Canada account" that would then provide them with a nominal downpayment for property or somethign at the end.

Ideas for national infrastructure projects:
- Northern route trans canada to open up access to more natural resources.
- home building in northern communities that are accessible within 3 hours to a current major center
- More pipelines
- ports
- Commuter rail lines

The current plan doesnt work.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:46 AM   #10517
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I'm going to get called callous and maybe insensitive or racist for laying this out, but IMO the only solution to this is putting immigrants to work immediately.

Something like new immigrants are immediately put into work camps building national infrastructure projects. They must remain for 2 years working those positions to earn citizenship. They can be fed and boarded during the 2 years by the working company, and the money they would be owed is put into a "Canada account" that would then provide them with a nominal downpayment for property or somethign at the end.

Ideas for national infrastructure projects:
- Northern route trans canada to open up access to more natural resources.
- home building in northern communities that are accessible within 3 hours to a current major center
- More pipelines
- ports
- Commuter rail lines

The current plan doesnt work.
Yeah, that'll ensure Canada gets the best and brightest. I'm sure the ~70% of Canadian immigrants with post-secondary degrees would be dying to end up in a work camp that sounds more like a prison.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 09:48 AM   #10518
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we need to expedite immigrants being allowed to work in their Professions and exert their expertise.

I dont think Gulags are the answer.

Hold on, let me quickly ask Mr. Stalin over here...

"Did the Gulags work? They didnt? Okay. Cool."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-16-2024, 09:54 AM   #10519
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mr Sundar Pichai; you have 2 options:
1) Immigrate to Canada, work in a labour camp for a minimum 2 years in a field your skills have nothing to do with.
2) Immigrate to the USA, attend Stanford with your advanced tech prowess and later become he CEO of Google

Choose wisely!
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 09:57 AM   #10520
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quebec man who blamed wildfires on government pleads guilty to setting 14

https://canoe.com/news/national/queb...e-a1c8ab3f5810
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote