Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 AM   #61
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interesting articles on wormholes

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-scient...wormholes.html

Quote:
Wormholes are a recurring motif in science fiction. A wormhole is a sort of tunnel that joins distant points in space, or even two universes, via space-time curvature. Theoretically, such a tunnel could be traversed from one point in space to another without actually traveling the distance between them. Roman Konoplya, a RUDN physicist, evaluated the possibility of such interstellar travel.
"Our hope for the existence of these exotic objects rests on the fact that Einstein's equations allow for wormholes as their solution. However, for wormholes to be traversable and not to collapse because of gravitational effects, the repulsion force in the bottleneck of a wormhole should be extremely high," says Roman Konoplya.

Quote:
"Some preliminary studies of foreign colleagues seemed to indicate the possibility of such stability. However, we confirmed that a wormhole according to Einstein's theory with quantum corrections is critically unstable. Evidently, an unstable system cannot exist in nature as any reaction with the environment would cause it to disintegrate. Mathematically, it is expressed in unlimited growth of initially neglected minor system deviation from statistical balance. Unfortunately, these results mean that we still don't have a theoretically consistent wormhole model without exotic assumptions," said Konoplya.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 AM   #62
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

'theoretically consistent wormhole model without exotic assumptions' is science speak for 'wild-ass guessing'
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #63
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weirdest thing for me is that the MO for aliens with advanced technologies would be to stealth into Earth super sporadically and always manage to only be seen by crazy people.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #64
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don't even understand the energy that makes up 85% of the universe.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #65
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
The weirdest thing for me is that the MO for aliens with advanced technologies would be to stealth into Earth super sporadically and always manage to only be seen by crazy people.
Maybe when the MIB mind erase only half works, you seem crazy.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #66
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
The laws of physics are defined by what the universe shows us, even if an advanced life form figured out a way to go light speed it's simply not survivable. If an object tries to travel 186,000 MPS, its mass becomes infinite,(so does the energy required to move it) For this reason, no normal object can travel as fast or faster than the speed of light. The hardest diamond on earth would turn to invisible molecule dust.

Lets say a civilization in the Proxima Centauri system found a way to travel 1/10 the speed of light (670 million MPH) and live to tell about it, it would still take them over 42 years to reach earth, and that's just our closest star system.

Why would they bother?
We're only beginning to examine the possibility of using wormholes as a means of traveling to different universes.

Why would they bother? You tell me why we bothered to go to the Moon or to Mars to search for forms of life. We do because we as species are curious as to what is out there. I'm sure they would be the same.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 AM   #67
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
In all seriousness the military can’t just open fire on a horde of citizens. It would be a pr nightmare. A single person getting shot some time ago can be covered up or buried in the news. Even five hundred people showing up would have to be settled somehow other then machine guns.
Hey if the US can cage thousands of children and then 'lose them' so their families never see them again shooting a few hundred morons is small beer
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #68
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

How angry pilots got the Navy to stop dismissing UFO sightings

Quote:
“Since 2014, these intrusions have been happening on a regular basis,” Joseph Gradisher, spokesman for office of the deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare, told The Washington Post on Wednesday.

Recently, unidentified aircraft have entered military-designated airspace as often as multiple times per month. “We want to get to the bottom of this. We need to determine who’s doing it, where it’s coming from and what their intent is. We need to try to find ways to prevent it from happening again.”
Quote:
Luis Elizondo, a former senior intelligence officer, told The Post that the new Navy guidelines formalized the reporting process, facilitating data-driven analysis while removing the stigma from talking about UFOs, calling it “the single greatest decision the Navy has made in decades.”
Quote:
In some cases, pilots — many of whom are engineers and academy graduates — claimed to observe small spherical objects flying in formation. Others say they’ve seen white, Tic Tac-shaped vehicles. Aside from drones, all engines rely on burning fuel to generate power, but these vehicles all had no air intake, no wind and no exhaust.

“It’s very mysterious, and they still seem to exceed our aircraft in speed,” he said, calling it a “truly radical technology.”
Quote:
Elizondo, who ran the AATIP, said the newly drafted guidelines were a culmination of many things, most notably that the Navy had enough credible evidence — including eyewitness accounts and corroborating radar information — to “know this is occurring.”

“If I came to you and said, ‘There are these things that can fly over our country with impunity, defying the laws of physics, and within moments could deploy a nuclear device at will,’ that would be a matter of national security,” Elizondo said.

With the number of U.S. military personnel in the Air Force and Navy who described the same observations, the noise level could not be ignored.

“This type of activity is very alarming,” Elizondo said, “and people are recognizing there are things in our aerospace that lie beyond our understanding.”
Quote:
According to Mellon, awestruck and baffled pilots, concerned that reporting unidentified flying aircraft would adversely affect their careers, tended not to speak up. And when they did, he said, there was little interest in investigating their claims.

“Imagine you see highly advanced vehicles, they appear on radar systems, they look bizarre, no one knows where they’re from. This happens on a recurring basis, and no one does anything,” said Mellon, who now works for To the Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences. Because agencies do not share this type of information, it is difficult to know the full extent of activity. Still, he estimated that dozens of incidents were witnessed by naval officers in a single year, enough to force the service to address the issue.

“Pilots are upset, and they’re trying to help wake up a slumbering system,” he told The Post.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...ngs/ar-BBWhBvo
Old 07-15-2019, 03:26 AM   #69
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I watched the Bob Lazar documentary and found it to be pretty boring. He's not exactly a ball of energy when he talks and I was pretty uninterested in him and what he had to say.
I thought he was robotic and scripted, I started to get somewhat interested when he mentioned the grey aliens were coming here for many years from the twin star system Zeta Reticuli but then he failed to mention how they traveled the 40 light years to get here.

Perspective, using our current top speed(New Horizons) it would take us about 750,000 years to get there! maybe they are using underGRADFlame's wormhole.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #70
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
We're only beginning to examine the possibility of using wormholes as a means of traveling to different universes.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #71
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Or perhaps they're just further unexplained. What's more likely, those 5% of cases are just another example of the 95% or it's intergalactic beings?

I mean really.
Yes, thank you.

For this, and any other conspiracy theory please apply Occam's Razor: whenever presented with two possibilities the simplest explanation is to be preferred until disproven. Do not create more complex explanations for phenomenon without a necessity.

I'll add this: It is arrogant to assume that we are the only life form in the universe. The sheer number of possibilities for life to have occurred elsewhere gives pretty good odds to it happening through random processes. So any rational person should recognize the possibility of life on other planets.

But possibility is not evidence. Just because the odds are good doesn't make it a reality. Until there is tangible evidence of life (even microscopic life) just on other planets or moons in our solar system, one should be reticent to assume that life exists on other planets. Let's start with Europa and go from there.

Physical contact with aliens is not only difficult, it's the least efficient way to try and do so. Electromagnetic waves (radio, microwave, laser) that travel at the speed of light has long been the way to reach out and find life, but that assumes that the other species have the ability to use those same technologies and respond in kind. The other problem is that other star systems are still very far away, the closest being Proxima, which is around 4 light years away. That means any study of that system would take at minimum 8 years to get usable data, probably closer to a decade to complete. And that is the CLOSEST system. You can see the problems already.

Again, I'd start locally and look for pieces of evidence that suggest life on other planets is at least possible before worrying about traveling through wormholes or making spacecraft to take us on long journeys.

Science isn't always sexy, but it can still be extremely exciting if you do it right.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 07-15-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Is that Risa or The Last Resort bar on Mars?
Not sure, I don't really get out much anymore.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #73
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Lets say a civilization in the Proxima Centauri system found a way to travel 1/10 the speed of light (670 million MPH) and live to tell about it, it would still take them over 42 years to reach earth, and that's just our closest star system.

Why would they bother?
1. "Why would they bother" is a very different point to make than "it's not possible".
2. Your whole outlook on this is pretty anthropocentric. For all you know, there are species that live for what we would think of as essentially forever, and for whom a 42 year trip (or a 400 year trip) would be like a heading to the corner store.
3. If you want good reasons for why no extraterrestrial life has contacted humanity, you could just read the wikipedia entry for the Fermi paradox.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #74
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #75
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
How angry pilots got the Navy to stop dismissing UFO sightings

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...ngs/ar-BBWhBvo
Elizondo is involved with Tom Delonge (Blink 182) with the To the Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences, an organization dedicated to exploring UFO phenomena and pushing the U.S. government for disclosure.

Whether that sounds crazy or not is a matter of opinion. But in the UFO community, there seems to be more buzz now than ever before, as guys like Elizondo are entering the private domain, as well as the public release of the Nimitz encounters, the acknowledgement of AATIP, and the strengthening of Navy UFO reporting protocols.

Of course, UFO's should never be confused with intelligent life. UFO's could simply be human technology and projects but other observers are unable to determine what it is. They could also just be drones, balloons, wildlife, and anything else until confirmed.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #76
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
As an aside, I watched a fascinating documentary on Netflix (though i didnt like the way it was done very much) on a man named Bob Lazar.

Honestly, he is either the craziest SOB alive (he is a genius in academic terms) or what he experienced working at that facility is what many expect has happened in the past. Really worth the 90 minutes of your time if at all interested in the accusations of what the government has been hiding for decades.
I enjoyed his interviews and the other discussions but the Mickey Rourke psychobabble voice-over stuff was painful...almost enough for me to turn it off.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #77
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here's the anti-UFO conspiracy: UFO's are man made and are meant to convince the general populace that we are under threat from alien invasion, creating a sense of fear and panic that will culminate with the creation of an authoritative, one world government. As per Werner Von Braun, first head of NASA and Nazi war criminal.

Quote:
Dr. Carol Rosin, a former leading aerospace executive and space & missile defense consultant with whom Von Braun became good friends late in his life, has testified before Congress that over the 4 years she knew him, up until his deathbed in 1977, Wernher had repeatedly warned that once all other methods of control and manipulation through fear, or ‘threat cards,’ have been played by the powers that be, (communism, then terrorism, then ‘crazy’ third world leaders, then asteroids,) “the alien card is the final card. We are going to have to build space-based weapons against aliens and all of it is a lie.” Some of her key testimony can be viewed here

https://iainthegreat.wordpress.com/2...thbed-warning/

Last edited by Matata; 07-15-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #78
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I enjoyed his interviews and the other discussions but the Mickey Rourke psychobabble voice-over stuff was painful...almost enough for me to turn it off.
Between that and the director of the film constantly inserting himself into the film, I found it pretty unwatchable. They obviously needed to stretch the content they had, but they should have inserted more historical background instead.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Hes been to Area 51 though and seen the Alien Spaceships...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #80
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some interesting discussion that can really take you down a wormhole, pardon the pun. This Bob Lazar guy is an interesting fella. Seems like what he says stacks up to what we've discovered about the universe, some of it recently.

What is interesting is he speaks to the exact technology and how it works. He also talks about an element (115) that was non-existent but the fuel to drive the vehicle.

Stephen Hawking doesn't rule out the possibility of travel like this, or even time travel. Like I said, a really interesting topic that has consumed way too much time.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote