Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2022, 10:46 PM   #1921
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Crowfoot was top of the list for a while. It was first with stadium seating and curved screens. I seem to recall seeing Speed 2 there when it first opened.
It probably was. I grew up in the South and going past Memorial didn’t happen unless you were skiing. It was basically another city to me until I moved past the Bow in my 30s.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 06:36 AM   #1922
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
I can't remember the last time a saw a grasshopper. My kids have never seen one.
Yeah there certainly seems to be less of them in the city. I recall seeing a lot more dragonflies in the city when I was young as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:46 AM   #1923
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marlborough Mall was my movie fix almost every Saturday. With only three screens and movie ratings, meant I saw certain movies over and over again. I reckon I saw 9 to 5 almost 59 times (might be exaggerating).

Other notable repeat viewings:

Xanadu
Battle Beyond the Stars
Used Cars
Oh God
Oh Heavenly Dog
The Electric Horseman
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 07:14 AM   #1924
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Wasn’t it Cannery Row first or was that a different restaurant all together?
I recall Cannery Row being in that tall red brick building that now houses a World's Gym. Across from the new Modern Steak/Catch.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #1925
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah there certainly seems to be less of them in the city. I recall seeing a lot more dragonflies in the city when I was young as well.
all the old school Calgary climate bugs are just going to be replaced by stuff like those ticks that make you allergic to meat.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #1926
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a ton of dragonflies last year. I always get a monster one stuck in the house every year too.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:57 AM   #1927
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I never see enough dragonflies. They're such a cool bug.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #1928
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Grasshoppers and Dragonflies are bugs whose cool factor outweighs the eww factor. I remember being fascinated with them as a kid during the summer.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:28 PM   #1929
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally forgot (just remember from the listings, never went) about Calgary Place and Palliser Square theatres.

Is there a more 1970s to 1991 era building than Palliser Square as far as mixed use?

Basically the tourist hub of the city in thst era, a Via Train station, the Tower, theatres, connected to the Palliser at the west and Four Seasons (now Marriot) at the east end.

Would’ve loved to remember how that config with the train station worked; walking through there now almost daily it’s got to be almost empty, given the odd layout and footprint for any sort of office setup. Tower Drugs is still in there and I assume it’s still around in because its still surviving off the fact in printed money back in the 80s selling over priced snacks and People magazines to Euro and eastern Canadian tourists who stayed on a layover in the Palliser for a few days on their Via trip from Vancouver to Montreal.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #1930
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Totally forgot (just remember from the listings, never went) about Calgary Place and Palliser Square theatres.

Is there a more 1970s to 1991 era building than Palliser Square as far as mixed use?

Basically the tourist hub of the city in thst era, a Via Train station, the Tower, theatres, connected to the Palliser at the west and Four Seasons (now Marriot) at the east end.

Would’ve loved to remember how that config with the train station worked; walking through there now almost daily it’s got to be almost empty, given the odd layout and footprint for any sort of office setup. Tower Drugs is still in there and I assume it’s still around in because its still surviving off the fact in printed money back in the 80s selling over priced snacks and People magazines to Euro and eastern Canadian tourists who stayed on a layover in the Palliser for a few days on their Via trip from Vancouver to Montreal.
Not sure how Palliser drugs is staying in business. Palliser One is pretty empty of business tenants. Slumberger has been fully remote work and now the building has been cleared to convert to residential which will take some time.

I heard the old rail platforms are still hidden under the mass of concrete and parkade structures somewhere.

I had no idea there were movie theatres there. There is still one live theatre company in Palliser Square (Lunchbox maybe?) but the other one packed up and closed during covid.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:06 PM   #1931
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The old Palliser theatre you had to go down like 100 steps of a winding staircase.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:36 PM   #1932
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Wasn’t it Cannery Row first or was that a different restaurant all together?
I seem to remember it was The Corkscrew before Earls Place.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:23 PM   #1933
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
The old Palliser theatre you had to go down like 100 steps of a winding staircase.
Where was it even? Deep in the bowels of the complex? Or entrance by the street to the tower?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #1934
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I remember this curtain before Jurassic Park! This is still the coolest cinema I remember going to in terms of the feeling of it.

North Hill Cinemas in the Sears parking lot!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-30-2022 at 10:27 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 10:30 PM   #1935
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Not sure how Palliser drugs is staying in business. Palliser One is pretty empty of business tenants. Slumberger has been fully remote work and now the building has been cleared to convert to residential which will take some time.

I heard the old rail platforms are still hidden under the mass of concrete and parkade structures somewhere.

I had no idea there were movie theatres there. There is still one live theatre company in Palliser Square (Lunchbox maybe?) but the other one packed up and closed during covid.
As I said, it's likely living off the profits of the 80s.
I'm sure the old theatre are where Lunchbox etc are.
Parking structure was there when Via was there, so nothing should be covered over.
I vauguely recall as a child that youbhs to go "down" from the floor where the Tower is to get to the Via station, and alll sorts of tourism offices nd car rental desks also on the Main level.
But it's a labyrinth of alcoves and odd office spaces and random picturs on the wall of Red Earth gas plant and such circa 1965 to 1985, that some oil company forgot to take down when they went away.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:19 AM   #1936
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
As I said, it's likely living off the profits of the 80s.
I'm sure the old theatre are where Lunchbox etc are.
Parking structure was there when Via was there, so nothing should be covered over.
I vauguely recall as a child that youbhs to go "down" from the floor where the Tower is to get to the Via station, and alll sorts of tourism offices nd car rental desks also on the Main level.
But it's a labyrinth of alcoves and odd office spaces and random picturs on the wall of Red Earth gas plant and such circa 1965 to 1985, that some oil company forgot to take down when they went away.
I found these:

https://imgur.com/gallery/9SejV

https://www.flickr.com/photos/benand...n/photostream/

Apparently in 2013 there was something called a Hidden Spaces tour? They should have filmed the Last of Us down there. It looks like a post-apocalyptic bunker. That's a 1975 Stampede sticker on that window.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-31-2022 at 01:25 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 06:47 AM   #1937
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Palliser Square was one of the marque theatres in the city, with the biggest screens and largest capacity. The Empire Strikes Back opened there. Lineups ran all the way outside and past the Calgary Tower entrance. They oversold tickets, and some kids had to sit on the floor to watch.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 07:01 AM   #1938
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Palliser Square was one of the marque theatres in the city, with the biggest screens and largest capacity. The Empire Strikes Back opened there. Lineups ran all the way outside and past the Calgary Tower entrance. They oversold tickets, and some kids had to sit on the floor to watch.
I was there.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 08:42 AM   #1939
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I never see enough dragonflies. They're such a cool bug.

Over the summer I see them quite a bit in Royal Oak around all the ponds.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #1940
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

North Hill says hold my beer. Wasn't their screen the largest in Calgary?
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time