Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #101
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Can I vote for the Olympics solely to see you froth at the mouth about Nenshi? Your level of obsession over this one person is very impressive.
If Calgarians chose the Olympics in a fair and square vote, I have no issues with it. That’s how democracy works.

This is a vanity project for a very vain man in my opinion. My opinion may be wrong, but let tax payers decide where our money is going, especially when it will be something that costs us for the rest of our lives.

But I have a feeling a lot of the Olympic Glee Club here, has never written a cheque with the “City of Calgary” on the payee line.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #102
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
This is a vanity project for a very vain man in my opinion.
Bunk?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #103
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I pay provincial and federal taxes too, so the idea that those levels of government would cover much of the costs isn't persuasive to me.
You would prefer they go to newfoundland and PEI. The most useless provinces this side of the mississippi.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #104
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
If Calgarians chose the Olympics in a fair and square vote, I have no issues with it. That’s how democracy works.

This is a vanity project for a very vain man in my opinion. My opinion may be wrong, but let tax payers decide where our money is going, especially when it will be something that costs us for the rest of our lives.
So you don't feel our democratically elected representatives can be trusted as a whole to make a choice for Calgary, even though they were recently elected to make choices for their constituents? What's your line on when they should get the public to vote on something outside of the general elections held every four years?

Quote:
But I have a feeling a lot of the Olympic Glee Club here, has never written a cheque with the “City of Calgary” on the payee line.
This is seriously the most tired opinion of the 2010s, in my opinion. You want something I don't, so clearly you're a dirty renter who doesn't pay taxes? Should I send you a picture of my taxes to confirm my eligibility to have an opinion on these matters?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #105
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Bunk?
Ice cold.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #106
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
So...if you think it's worth trying, you've "drank the Kool-aid"? What kind of discourse is that? We're here to discuss the pros and cons of going after it aren't we? How about a respectful discussion.
fair enough comment - my apologies if I came off like a unit with my gu sights set on you.

while I agree it would be cool to host the games, to me the cost becomes the massive negative, and the fact that I simply do not believe that the games can make any money unless a bunch of creative accounting is done, and I recognize that it is a difficult process to do because how do you allocate the costs of "capital" improvements like c-train lines.

like all government projects, I believe the cost estimate is way too low, and the true cost will really be closer to 9 billion - but what do I know.

given all levels of government are dealing with debt that can never be repaid, why pile more debt to give millieneals the experience of coming to Calgary once for the oympics - they will likely not come back, because they will then be off to look for new experiences, or be taking their kids to Disney land just like their parents did.

given the price tag, I'd rather just see the city move ahead with the Calgary next project as I believe that would be cheaper in the end
Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #107
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yup.

The hypocrisy is hilarious.

Maybe he should talk to the IOC like he does the Flames and tell them their business model is ‘half baked’ and “if you want Olympics here you can pay for half.” All while continuing to publicly skewer them in the media.

The one thing I have respected in the Flames/City building debate, is the team took the high road, and just said. “We don’t want to talk about this anymore.” While petulant baby Nenshi has been the one slinging the insults and drive by’s at the team.

I want the plebiscite to read this:

If given the choice between spending 4 billion dollars on the Olympics or 600 million for a new NHL arena and concert venue would you prefer:

A) Olympics
B) NHL Arena

I would almost wager my life 70% or more people would prefer 30 more years of NHL, than 20 days of mixed curling. But, because Mr. Nenshi is so smitten with these amateur athletes, he assumes, in his little narcissistic world, that everyone must or at least should feel the same way.
Outside of Canada and maybe the few US NHL cities, no one gives two Fs about the Calgary Flames.
The whole world would watch the Olympics though.

Big difference.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #108
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Choosing to host the olympics is well beyond the scope of an elected counsil. They're spending more for two weeks than they do to operate the city for an entire year. I think that requires some pretty special consideration.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #109
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Do you believe any plebiscite would be fair? There is no way for everyone to be properly informed to make a yes or no decision. That is why we vote in people to make decisions for us... They should have the time to review all the facts and then make a proper educated decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to CPK80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #110
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Choosing to host the olympics is well beyond the scope of an elected counsil. They're spending more for two weeks than they do to operate the city for an entire year. I think that requires some pretty special consideration.
Then they shouldn't of made a decision on the Green Line then? That project in the end would cost more then the entire Olympics.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to CPK80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #111
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
You would prefer they go to newfoundland and PEI. The most useless provinces this side of the mississippi.
I'd honestly rather see a couple new schools built in Newfoundland than a new ski jump built outside Calgary.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #112
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the no camp currently, but I don't think we need a plebiscite for this. Let the council do what they're paid to do.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #113
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Forgive me for waxing poetic, but I think the games are important because they are one of the only true global events that brings humanity together for common cause, and cooperation. That has value. I also just think it's a hell of a lot of fun. If Calgary can truly be part of getting the games hosting situation back on track, and we can leverage that effort to our advantage knowing the IOC needs us more than we need them, let's go down the path. I've always said, if the terms are not favourable, or if demands return to being ridiculous, then we should be out. Full stop.
Based on numerous reports from past Olympics, this is true but I don't think it's what you intended #condoms
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #114
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
So you don't feel our democratically elected representatives can be trusted as a whole to make a choice for Calgary, even though they were recently elected to make choices for their constituents? What's your line on when they should get the public to vote on something outside of the general elections held every four years?
This isn’t a new overpass, or an off leash area.

This is a massive project that will riddle this City with debt for the next 30-50 years, and likely become the responsibility of the next Mayor before the games even come to fruition.

Absolutely something of this scope should be voted on.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #115
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not hypocritical at all. If I look at the public benefit from an arena, vs that of the Olympics and the legacy of facilities and infrastructure, and decide the Olympic option provides more benefit, their is nothing hypocritical about it.

Personally I don't really see the Olympics working without a new arena(I'm a hard no on the Edmonton option) then I can look at the Olympic option as being the better choice because we can leverage provincial and federal dollars into an arena, and get both. This will probably require the cooperation of the Flames though, and given their demands for veto's over development, free transit etc it makes the starting point a lot tougher. It would probably be a totally different model than the ones they were envisioning.

Except the Olympics would cost the city 10X more. So it's not apples to apples.

Personally I'm in favor in both, it's just odd when people's main arguments against the arena were:

-Every study ever says it's a bad investment
-Why are we enriching already rich parties
-How can you justify spending for this when we need money for homeless, seniors...basically insert any disadvanatged group here.

Those arguments go against the Olympics just as easily.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #116
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ice cold.
True that. You have nothing to be vain about.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #117
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Outside of Canada and maybe the few US NHL cities, no one gives two Fs about the Calgary Flames.

Big difference.
Yeah no. The whole world definitely watches the summer Olympics. Basically half the planet, at least, couldn't give a #### less about the winter Olympics.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #118
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

Big difference.
But Calgarians care about and are passionate about the Flames. They are woven into the civic fabric. And that’s what matters most. What effects Calgarians, when Calgarians are expected to foot most the bill.

Secondly. You greatly over estimate the popularity of the winter games.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pylon=
Quote:
But Calgarians care about and are passionate about the Flames. They are woven into the civic fabric. And that’s what matters most. What effects Calgarians, when Calgarians are expected to foot most the bill.

I think you greatly overestimate the popularity of the Flames and what they mean to the majority of Calgarians.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #120
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Classic post calling out someone for overestimating popularity of something while overestimating the popularity of something else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread