Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Why not just buy about 1000 old Commodore 64's and joysticks. Load up the convention center with them and invite the best gamers from 92 different companies to come over here and compete with

We could probably spend under a million bucks on the olympics.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #82
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Women's halfpipe had that this year.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #83
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I vote NO, unless we get a sequel to Cool Runnings. If there is a Cool Runnings II involved in the deal, my vote could be swayed to a YES.
Make it a trilogy and I'm in.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #84
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked that slow motion replay of the little jump at the crests.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #85
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pay provincial and federal taxes too, so the idea that those levels of government would cover much of the costs isn't persuasive to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #86
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It is pretty humorous to see a lot of people staunchly against public money going towards an arena onboard with the Olympics. They're essentially the same thing, except instead of helping out billionaires from the city you're helping out an international consortium that has its headquarters in a compound in Switzerland.

What happened to all the cries about money for the homeless, or seniors?
Yup.

The hypocrisy is hilarious.

Maybe he should talk to the IOC like he does the Flames and tell them their business model is ‘half baked’ and “if you want Olympics here you can pay for half.” All while continuing to publicly skewer them in the media.

The one thing I have respected in the Flames/City building debate, is the team took the high road, and just said. “We don’t want to talk about this anymore.” While petulant baby Nenshi has been the one slinging the insults and drive by’s at the team.

I want the plebiscite to read this:

If given the choice between spending 4 billion dollars on the Olympics or 600 million for a new NHL arena and concert venue would you prefer:

A) Olympics
B) NHL Arena

I would almost wager my life 70% or more people would prefer 30 more years of NHL, than 20 days of mixed curling. But, because Mr. Nenshi is so smitten with these amateur athletes, he assumes, in his little narcissistic world, that everyone must or at least should feel the same way.

Last edited by pylon; 03-21-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #87
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a completely stupid plebiscite question that would be.

What an awful post.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #88
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
If given the choice between spending 4 billion dollars on the Olympics or 600,000 million for a new NHL arena and concert venue would you prefer:
That would be one hell of an arena.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #89
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I wouldn't mind spending eleventy billion on the new arena.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #90
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
That would be one hell of an arena.
Lol. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #91
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If given the choice between spending 4 billion dollars on the Olympics or 600 million for a new NHL arena and concert venue would you prefer:

A) Olympics
B) NHL Arena

Maybe the plebiscite should read: If you had to choose, would you bang:
A) Your mom
B) Your dad
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #92
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The hypocrisy of hating any public money for an arena and yet being warm to the idea of the Olympics is stunning.

Actually I think that is what pushes me even more against the Olympics.

A crazy level of hypocrisy.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #93
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
The hypocrisy is hilarious.

Maybe he should talk to the IOC like he does the Flames and tell them their business model is ‘half baked’ and “if you want Olympics here you can pay for half.” All while continuing to publicly skewer them in the media.

The one thing I have respected in the Flames/City building debate, is the team took the high road, and just said. “We don’t want to talk about this anymore.” While petulant baby Nenshi has been the one slinging the insults and drive by’s at the team.

A) Olympics
B) NHL Arena

I would almost wager my life 70% or more people would prefer 30 more years of NHL, than 20 days of mixed curling. But, because Mr. Nenshi is so smitten with these amateur athletes, he assumes, in his little narcissistic world, that everyone must or at least should feel the same way.
Can I vote for the Olympics solely to see you froth at the mouth about Nenshi? Your level of obsession over this one person is very impressive.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #94
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Calgary itself could spend $600 million (its contribution) on the Olympics, and got a new arena and new infrastructure, and showed the wonderful City of Calgary to to the world for tourism and business, that would be better than gifting an arena to the CSEC, IMO.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #95
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are people still under the impression that there isn't already hundreds of millions of public dollars on the table for a new arena?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #96
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
The hypocrisy of hating any public money for an arena and yet being warm to the idea of the Olympics is stunning.

Actually I think that is what pushes me even more against the Olympics.

A crazy level of hypocrisy.
It's not hypocritical at all. If I look at the public benefit from an arena, vs that of the Olympics and the legacy of facilities and infrastructure, and decide the Olympic option provides more benefit, their is nothing hypocritical about it.

Personally I don't really see the Olympics working without a new arena(I'm a hard no on the Edmonton option) then I can look at the Olympic option as being the better choice because we can leverage provincial and federal dollars into an arena, and get both. This will probably require the cooperation of the Flames though, and given their demands for veto's over development, free transit etc it makes the starting point a lot tougher. It would probably be a totally different model than the ones they were envisioning.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #97
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
So...if you think it's worth trying, you've "drank the Kool-aid"? What kind of discourse is that? We're here to discuss the pros and cons of going after it aren't we? How about a respectful discussion.

I happen to think the Olympics are very important. I don't blame people for being skeptical, or even cynical. The track record of requirements and cost control has been poor. The IOC has taken tangible, positive steps through its reform program Vision 2020 - which you can see some of the results of in the LA and Paris programs.

Forgive me for waxing poetic, but I think the games are important because they are one of the only true global events that brings humanity together for common cause, and cooperation. That has value. I also just think it's a hell of a lot of fun. If Calgary can truly be part of getting the games hosting situation back on track, and we can leverage that effort to our advantage knowing the IOC needs us more than we need them, let's go down the path. I've always said, if the terms are not favourable, or if demands return to being ridiculous, then we should be out. Full stop.

lol. hasn't been that way for a very long time.

and even if it were still the case of the surface, don't mean that under the curtain it isn't a cesspool of corruption and chicanery.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #98
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Are people still under the impression that there isn't already hundreds of millions of public dollars on the table for a new arena?
No because it doesn't fit their narrative that people want olympics, but are hypocrites since they don't want a blank cheque handed to the Flames for a new arena.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #99
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
What a completely stupid plebiscite question that would be.

What an awful post.
No it is not.

I would rather see the city straight up lose 600 million that has been established to build a new arena, than gamble what I bet would end up being 10 billion after costs run out of control on the Olympics.

I also believe Calgarians care way more about the Flames than the Olympics regardless of the cost, and if he truly is “A man of the people” as he tries to sell himself as, he will give the people a choice on where our tax dollars go.

Have you ever written a cheque to the city for property tax Nik?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #100
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, it comes out of my account monthly since I'm not 80 years old.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread