Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #4081
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The reason I have a hard time seeing a civil war is the sheer might of the military.

I could see skirmishes in hotspots and even a battle between blue states and the federal government but a legal battle or a fight in the court of public opinion.

Actual guns and soldiers and troops invading cities? Doubtful.

Unless trump loses. Then I could see republican voters mobilizing their hillbilly white supremacist militias.
Also, the largest part of Trump's base are low-income uneducated white men over the age of 65, who live far from major cities.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #4082
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I need a Trump re-election purely to see the outrage in this thread. It's gonna be worse than a playoff loss PGT.
Lol, check out Edgelord over here.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #4083
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

If states can ignore popular vote and choose their own electors, is that just for President or can they choose their senators? What happens if Trump steals the election but loses the senate? Over under on impeachment (in days)?
Old 09-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #4084
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
If states can ignore popular vote and choose their own electors, is that just for President or can they choose their senators? What happens if Trump steals the election but loses the senate? Over under on impeachment (in days)?
That would be great news for the Republicans. You get four whole years of a Pence presidency before he runs as an incumbent.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #4085
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

NSFW!

Language.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #4086
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

2016 continues to be a temper tantrum for the ages.

I wonder how folks feel about that write in ballot, or voting for a third party, or not voting at all, now that the supreme court is decided for a generation and the threats to Roe v Wade, ACA, voting rights, etc. etc. have been made crystal clear.

I get HRC wasn't a great candidate. But the alternative has been so dramatically worse than anything even remotely considered at the time.

In less than 4 years we've gone from the peaceful transfer of power following an election as a given, to a president who is priming the public that he will contest the result.....unless his open efforts to suppress votes allow him to remain in power.

We are in for quite a ride over the next several months.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #4087
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That would be great news for the Republicans. You get four whole years of a Pence presidency before he runs as an incumbent.
Impeach Pence too! Double Secret Impeachment.

Seriously though, maybe the biggest hammer Blue States have is to threaten secession unless there are democratic reforms? They are the economic engine of the nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secess...tate_secession
https://www.desertsun.com/story/opin...ia/5366653002/

Last edited by troutman; 09-23-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #4088
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How's that going to work? They're totally geographically separate. Unless you're talking about seceding to form three separate countries.

Not to mention that the "blue states" are not at all politically homogenous. The red-blue divide is mostly an urban-rural one, not state by state.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #4089
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How's that going to work? They're totally geographically separate. Unless you're talking about seceding to form three separate countries.

Not to mention that the "blue states" are not at all politically homogenous. The red-blue divide is mostly an urban-rural one, not state by state.

Majority rules. Quebec might have separated on 51%. If Alberta ever Wexits it won’t be unanimous. Secession is less difficult in that regard than a civil war that literally pits neighbour against neighbour (though it might trigger one)
Old 09-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #4090
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Enough with this horse####. There is no evidence that anyone in the democratic party is planning to tamper with the vote. There is hard evidence that Russia already tampered with the 2016 election and is doing so again to benefit the Republicans, and Trump is on record stating that he will not accept the result if he loses and is planning to send voter intimidation squads in blue voting districts. One side is justifiably frightened that this election will be stolen and the US will slide into fascism, the other side is being fed fake news by Trump and Fox
I'm glad you brought this up.
Hunter Biden accepted millions of dollars from russian oligarchs while Joe was VP. Weird considering Trump is in their pocket as well. Projections abound.
Anyways, people can now get back to regular scheduled calls for political assassinations. Good look for sure.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #4091
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Hunter Biden accepted millions of dollars from russian oligarchs while Joe was VP. Weird considering Trump is in their pocket as well. Projections abound.
Anyways, people can now get back to regular scheduled calls for political assassinations. Good look for sure.
Sure we can talk about Hunter, but we should also talk about Rick Perry getting his two buddies on another Ukrainian gas company board while he was US energy secretary.

People should probably wake up the fact both parties are at the trough.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #4092
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Sure we can talk about Hunter, but we should also talk about Rick Perry getting his two buddies on another Ukrainian gas company board while he was US energy secretary.

People should probably wake up the fact both parties are at the trough.
Yup. He can go to hell too.

I mean, he doesn't have links to human trafficking (that we know of) but yes, he can go to hell too.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #4093
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Hunter Biden 2020 is really starting to feel like Hillary’s emails 2016.

Something for Fox and the right to freak out about, but in the grand scheme of things it’s pretty much a whole bunch of nothing. It riles up their base so I guess it works.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #4094
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

But Russia?
Old 09-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #4095
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Come on man, you're better than that. You can clearly see the difference between the kid of someone already in office, taking a job with a Ukrainian firm in an advisor role, versus a candidate for the presidency accepting assistance from the GRU to win an election. You're smarter than that.

Also, it was one person who suggested "assassination" and he got jumped on and walked his comments back. Again, you're better than that.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #4096
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure 3.5 mil for "consultant" work from the wife of former disgraced Moscow mayor Baturina (who was forced out of office due to corruption, in Russia of all places) is totally on the up and up. Naturally, dems are chalking this up to russian misinformation campaign. Lul

Come on NewEra. No more malarkey.

But wait! There's more! Human trafficking ties incoming. Maybe there is another dossier that can tie up the courts for 3 years? Anything? Please god?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #4097
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
2016 continues to be a temper tantrum for the ages.

I wonder how folks feel about that write in ballot, or voting for a third party, or not voting at all, now that the supreme court is decided for a generation and the threats to Roe v Wade, ACA, voting rights, etc. etc. have been made crystal clear.

I get HRC wasn't a great candidate. But the alternative has been so dramatically worse than anything even remotely considered at the time.

In less than 4 years we've gone from the peaceful transfer of power following an election as a given, to a president who is priming the public that he will contest the result.....unless his open efforts to suppress votes allow him to remain in power.

We are in for quite a ride over the next several months.
I have friends in the U.S, they're fine with where their country is at. I asked them if they wished Hillary won and they said hell no.

Objectively to us it may seem like a disaster, but not to the people who actually voted republican. We tend to ignore that fact here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #4098
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

And all this time I though Joe Biden was running for president, but it was actually Hunter Biden.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #4099
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

As WAPO said, its merely problematic. Nothing more. It's not ok to ignore Trumps nepotism, let's not play dumb here as well.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #4100
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What the two tribes are fighting for is to be free to follow their own values. The can be achieved by a devolution of authority from the federal government to states, and from states to cities. Alongside an acceleration of the geographic population sorting that has been transforming the country for the last 40 years.

Alternatively, everyone gets exhausted with culture wars and turns to individualistic hedonism, like what happened in the 70s following the turmoil of the 60s.
Closed Thread