Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #321
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

+1 for spending for quality. Not concerned about the “name brand” necessarily, but the super cheap stuff never holds up.

I exclusively buy clothing items on clearance sales. I try to stick to that and not get too attached to things I want. Not that there is anything wrong with that either.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #322
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I can’t imagine having the same shoes for almost a decade. Don’t you get tired of them or the style?

$700 shoes last you 7-8 years.
$100 shoes last you 1-2 years.

It’s all the same in the end, just depends if you like the style/fit for that long.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #323
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
I can’t imagine having the same shoes for almost a decade. Don’t you get tired of them or the style?

It’s all the same in the end, just depends if you like the style/fit for that long.
15-20 years.

I just go for classics. Otherwise it gets too expensive.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #324
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Good quality men's dress shoes don't go out of style. Look back through pictures the last few decades of well dressed men. You'll likely see the same styles over and over.

Also, with proper care, $700 shoes won't only last 8 years, they'll probably outlive you. In fact they'll probably look better after 8 years than the day you bought them.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #325
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah. While I don’t believe you have to spend money to look good, for the most part of you spend more on a piece of clothing it makes up the value by lasting significantly longer.

Case in point: 5 years ago I paid $130 for a t-shirt. Yes, a t-shirt. I recommend nobody spend that amount, but I just wanted it. However, that same t-shirt still looks brand new, and significantly better than the t-shirts I’ve bought since then (even in the last year) from the likes of Costco, the Gap, etc. It’s gone through the same washes, been washed the same amount (a lot more, since it’s been around 5 years, but it goes in with all the other t-shirts) and it’s still here and looking as good as new while other newer shirts look like garbage or have already hit the donation bin.

Same with Vans. All the pairs I’ve had look beat to #### after a year (I still wear them because I feel like Vans are supposed to look haggard and it’s pretty much unavoidable if you skate them), but the nicer shoes I have still look fantastic after 3+ years.

I would never buy $600 shoes. But if I did, I have a lot of confidence they’ll give me 6x the life of Vans (or more).
I have 2 levels of dress shirt.

The dress shirt I only wear with suits which run around $150-$200 each, but last forever if you buy style/colour which is timeless or close to. This is why undershirts are key as well. The Dress shirt doesn't soak up the sweat or grease the undershirt does. The dress short always looks fresh and clean and new.

The dress shirts I wear daily are in the $50-100 range. It allows for buying shirts that have a short style life, and are generally less quality. But again is you wear and undershirt the life of them is extended.

Also, just so you know, no dress shirt is "No Iron". All dress shirts should be ironed before wearing with the exception of flannel, but they ain't "dress".

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #326
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:
Default Style police: Teach us!

Yeah fair, I guess it’s a mentality thing then. Too long term of an investment for me haha.

But if you’re comfortable spending that much, make it last 20 years and still be happy with it, all the power to you!
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #327
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah fair, I guess it’s a mentality thing then. Too long term of an investment for me haha.

But if you’re comfortable spending that much, make it last 20 years and still be happy with it, all the power to you!
It's not an investment. You buy something that you love, and you become quite attached to it the more you wear it, and then it just becomes a favourite thing.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #328
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
What's a decent shirt to wear with jeans? Like a collard dress shirt kind of thing. Spruce up the jeans an t-shirt look once or twice a year.
Any type of dress shirt will look great with jeans, assuming the fit is right and the colours look good together. Tucked vs untucked is up to your discretion, however you'll look better if your untucked shirt is tailored to be worn as such (straighter, shorter hem)

Another option is to go for a button down shirt like an Oxford shirt. In North America, we typically classify these as "dress" shirts as well, but are considered to be a more casual option. Just make sure you keep the collars buttoned down.
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #329
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No dress shirts look great with jeans. Only casual shirts or an OCBD (Oxford Cloth Button Down) will do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #330
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
+1 for spending for quality. Not concerned about the “name brand” necessarily, but the super cheap stuff never holds up.

I exclusively buy clothing items on clearance sales. I try to stick to that and not get too attached to things I want. Not that there is anything wrong with that either.
100% agree with the bold.

In fact most big name brands are actually mass produced garbage.

Hugo Boss shirts? They're just a small step up from Banana Republic for 2-3 times the price. You're better off going to J Crew, Club Monaco or Brooks Brothers.

Hugo Boss suits? They're fused canvas construction, which is what you'll find at Tip Top or RW Co.

Prada shoes? Most of them are cemented construction like Aldo with questionable leather. Just get a pair of Allen Edmonds or Alden for 50-70% of the price.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #331
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The trick is to have enough in your rotation where you can’t get sick of one pair. And avoid flash in the pan styles so they’ll never look stupid.

Also, I don’t justify my shoes with economics. Honestly I don’t think I could wear all my shoes out if I tried. I just happen to like them, so that’s my justification.
Also, a well fitting, well constructed ‘dress’ shoe is more comfortable than any thing else.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #332
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
No dress shirts look great with jeans. Only casual shirts or an OCBD (Oxford Cloth Button Down) will do.

Thank you for the OCBD idea. Will definitely add those to my wardrobe.
Tell me more about casual shirts. I always struggle with finding shirts to wear with jeans (at work). I am not young enough or slim enough to get away with some of the stuff I see at places like the Bay or BR
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #333
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Thank you for the OCBD idea. Will definitely add those to my wardrobe.
Tell me more about casual shirts. I always struggle with finding shirts to wear with jeans (at work). I am not young enough or slim enough to get away with some of the stuff I see at places like the Bay or BR
Flannel, corduroy (I love corduroy), and OCBDs.

Lands End is a great place to shop if you are budget conscious. Great return and definitely a regular fit.

https://www.landsend.com/search/S-y5b?q=flannel%20shirt

https://www.landsend.com/search/S-xfe-y5b?q=oxford
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #334
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
100% agree with the bold.

In fact most big name brands are actually mass produced garbage.

Hugo Boss shirts? They're just a small step up from Banana Republic for 2-3 times the price. You're better off going to J Crew, Club Monaco or Brooks Brothers.

Hugo Boss suits? They're fused canvas construction, which is what you'll find at Tip Top or RW Co.

Prada shoes? Most of them are cemented construction like Aldo with questionable leather. Just get a pair of Allen Edmonds or Alden for 50-70% of the price.
It's worth mentioning that most "labels" have different lines within the brand - some lines are for mass consumption at lower prices (and lower quality) and some lines are higher quality at higher price points.

I've seen several posters mention they shop the sales and the outlets. There's nothing wrong with that, but you also need to be aware that many of these labels (such as Boss and BB) have lines specifically for their outlet stores, so they are designed to be cheaper from the start. That's not to say that there aren't good deals on higher quality pieces to be found on sale or at outlets, but no one should blindly buy from a "brand" just because they think it's a good deal.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #335
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Any type of dress shirt will look great with jeans, assuming the fit is right and the colours look good together. Tucked vs untucked is up to your discretion, however you'll look better if your untucked shirt is tailored to be worn as such (straighter, shorter hem)

Another option is to go for a button down shirt like an Oxford shirt. In North America, we typically classify these as "dress" shirts as well, but are considered to be a more casual option. Just make sure you keep the collars buttoned down.
I get what you mean. I do own a few Oxford shirts from Eddie Bauer but I never knew that was the name. And no to the suit shirts with jeans, noted.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #336
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve always wanted very much to be able to trust clothes from Costco. But they all seem cut to fit Danny Devito.

The socks are solid though.
They have a few different brands. As a cyclist I have larger legs, so maybe they just suit me better. Skinny jeans are a physical impossibility for me. The nice part is, you don't have to care about them at $20. I had a brand new pair I tore on a sharp corner, no real way to fix it, had they been $100 pants I would have been pissed. But they went into the rag bin. No tears.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #337
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve always wanted very much to be able to trust clothes from Costco. But they all seem cut to fit Danny Devito.

The socks are solid though.
Their shirts are like that for sure but I've gotten some decent pants and sweaters from there
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #338
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They have a few different brands. As a cyclist I have larger legs, so maybe they just suit me better. Skinny jeans are a physical impossibility for me. The nice part is, you don't have to care about them at $20. I had a brand new pair I tore on a sharp corner, no real way to fix it, had they been $100 pants I would have been pissed. But they went into the rag bin. No tears.
False.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #339
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
The stylish jeans with dress shirt and suit jacket trend is horrendous. It looks like two different people on top and bottom.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #340
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The stylish jeans with dress shirt and suit jacket trend is horrendous. It looks like two different people on top and bottom.
Especially when the jean has a low yoke.
It just looks so weird to me.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote