Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #361
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the nice thing about living in Victoria vs. Vancouver. Everyone dresses like a student or a stoner on the island, so the bar is really low.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #362
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Is anyone else reading this thread wondering why so many grown men are wearing jeans so often? I'm not trying to judge by saying that, but I have worn jeans maybe 4 or 5 times since I hit my late 30's.

If I'm out somewhere, it's khakis (variety of neutral colors including navy or dark brown) or nice shorts (essential Florida wear), the occasional corduroy, and dress pants for nicer events. Shirts are anything from polos to oxford button downs to full dress shirts. NEVER t-shirts in public. Shoes are anything from boat shoes or loafers to quality dress shoes. Never running shoes or anything like Vans. Nice sandals only on the really hot days.

If I need something extremely casual or active, it's usually t-shirts and athletic wear with running shoes, but that's only for doing something active or bumming around the house.

It might sound snobbish or uppity, but it's not meant to be. I just don't feel comfortable in jeans anymore, even if they're nice jeans. I guess I just feel like I want to dress my age and not worry about looking overly stylish or trendy. Am I alone in this?
Not necessarily alone as a lot of the older suburban dads I see dress the same way. You also mentioned you’re in Florida so maybe living in a foreign country changes things.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #363
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sound like my Grandpa who always complained jeans were for miners.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #364
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Not necessarily alone as a lot of the older suburban dads I see dress the same way. You also mentioned you’re in Florida so maybe living in a foreign country changes things.
True, jeans are just not a Florida thing. Unfortunately, when people (namely ladies) want to wear something casual they go for exercise/yoga pants and sloppy half there tank tops. It's awful. The men aren't much better. Track pants and tank tops seem to be pretty common. I'd kill myself before wearing something like that in public.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #365
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
True, jeans are just not a Florida thing. Unfortunately, when people (namely ladies) want to wear something casual they go for exercise/yoga pants and sloppy half there tank tops. It's awful. The men aren't much better. Track pants and tank tops seem to be pretty common. I'd kill myself before wearing something like that in public.
So Florida is Edmonton?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #366
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I assume this is because of your habit of not washing them for the first while, but you must be just thrashing your jeans. I’ve got a pair of Nudies running on 5 years with 3 repairs and they could probably go another few for sure. And Nudies aren’t exceptionally high quality.
I've purposely washed jeans early to presence the dark look and it's still the same thing. Nudies, in terms of quality, are a mid tier denim. I've owned three pairs of those. They last a long time if you don't wear them all that frequently. But if you use them as daily wearers, they won't last more than about 1.5 years before having serious structural issues.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #367
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if the Canadian Tuxedo is a factor...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #368
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It might sound snobbish or uppity, but it's not meant to be. I just don't feel comfortable in jeans anymore, even if they're nice jeans. I guess I just feel like I want to dress my age and not worry about looking overly stylish or trendy. Am I alone in this?
I’m sure you’re not alone, but jeans are a pretty timeless and ageless staple. There’s certainly no reason you have to wear jeans your whole life, but if you do, there’s also nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I've purposely washed jeans early to presence the dark look and it's still the same thing. Nudies, in terms of quality, are a mid tier denim. I've owned three pairs of those. They last a long time if you don't wear them all that frequently. But if you use them as daily wearers, they won't last more than about 1.5 years before having serious structural issues.
This is not true. It may come down to a number of different issues for you personally, but having worked in a denim shop, I can tell you that even mid-tier jeans like Nudies (properly fitted and worn everyday) can easily last half a decade with average levels of care. I’ve seen farmed-in wranglers hit that and more, even. I won’t guess at what’s causing your issues, but if you’re burning through a heavier weight pair of high-quality jeans in 3 years with daily wear, the issue lies outside the denim. I’d look at how you’re fitting them and what you’re doing in them (cycling for instance?). For the average daily-wearer, they’ll likely get tired of them long before the jeans give out. Could easily be a decade or more.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #369
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a pair of Nudies that I bought from Leo maybe 10 years ago.
They've been patched 4-5 times. I don't wear them often anymore, but I probably wore them 3-4 times a week for 3-4 years.
I also have a pair of Unbranded Brand 14.5oz raw selvage jeans that I've had for 3 years and they feel like they might outlive me.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #370
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is anyone else reading this thread wondering why so many grown men are wearing jeans so often? I'm not trying to judge by saying that, but I have worn jeans maybe 4 or 5 times since I hit my late 30's.

If I'm out somewhere, it's khakis (variety of neutral colors including navy or dark brown) or nice shorts (essential Florida wear), the occasional corduroy, and dress pants for nicer events. Shirts are anything from polos to oxford button downs to full dress shirts. NEVER t-shirts in public. Shoes are anything from boat shoes or loafers to quality dress shoes. Never running shoes or anything like Vans. Nice sandals only on the really hot days.

If I need something extremely casual or active, it's usually t-shirts and athletic wear with running shoes, but that's only for doing something active or bumming around the house.

No, you're not alone, but you should be.

There is no age appropriate dress. Want to wear a t-shirt with the superman logo? Go for it. Whether you're 4, 15, 32, 61 or 88!

Wear that shirt with jeans or cargo shorts, or athletic shorts, or sweat pants. Whatever you want. Be yourself and express yourself with your clothes.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #371
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is not true. It may come down to a number of different issues for you personally, but having worked in a denim shop, I can tell you that even mid-tier jeans like Nudies (properly fitted and worn everyday) can easily last half a decade with average levels of care.
Eh, Nudies have always had well known seam blowout issues. Other jeans of similar "tier" are definitely more durable, so as a general statement, you're right. Also, it's not like it's hard to repair jeans if they get worn through or blown out through use. In any event, that shouldn't be your main concern - just find the ones that seem to fit the best. That's 9/10ths of the battle with jeans.

That being said, I still regret not buying the Naked & Famous 32oz superheavyweight denim when I had the chance. Good luck wearing through those suckers.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #372
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Eh, Nudies have always had well known seam blowout issues. Other jeans of similar "tier" are definitely more durable, so as a general statement, you're right. Also, it's not like it's hard to repair jeans if they get worn through or blown out through use. In any event, that shouldn't be your main concern - just find the ones that seem to fit the best. That's 9/10ths of the battle with jeans.

That being said, I still regret not buying the Naked & Famous 32oz superheavyweight denim when I had the chance. Good luck wearing through those suckers.
I always knew you were a sucker for punishment.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #373
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It honestly wasn't that bad. Even brand new and starchy, yeah they were stiff, but not so much that it would impede movement significantly. The tradeoff was that it felt substantial. It was sort of like wearing a heavy leather jacket but in jeans form. Should've bought 'em. Right now I have a few pairs of Big Star Icons for no better reason than because they fit properly.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #374
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite jeans were the hemp ones I got from a hippie store in Nelson. They just got more and more soft and comfy as the years went on. Looking forward to being able to find more as hemp makes a comeback, I hope.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #375
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
No, you're not alone, but you should be.

There is no age appropriate dress. Want to wear a t-shirt with the superman logo? Go for it. Whether you're 4, 15, 32, 61 or 88!

Wear that shirt with jeans or cargo shorts, or athletic shorts, or sweat pants. Whatever you want. Be yourself and express yourself with your clothes.
Respectfully, I 100% disagree with the bolded.

Everyone should feel free to express themselves through their clothes. However, everyone needs to be keenly aware of what their choice of clothing communicates to the rest of the world.

It absolutely matters.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #376
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, would somebody in their early 40s be communicating something wrong by wearing jeans and a superhero branded t-shirt?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #377
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can I still wear my CJSW t-shirts? I'd be pretty sad if I couldn't. Or do I have to clear that with the style police first?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
V
Old 08-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #378
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me try to put it another way before everybody gets all pissy with me.

What does this outfit communicate to you? Does it not tell you a bunch of stuff about this person without ever talking to him?

Feel free to dress however you want. Just be aware of what your fashion choices are communicating to other people.

And if you're wearing superhero tees in your 40s you might be saying something about yourself that you don't necessarily intend. Maybe ask someone that you trust what they think of your style choices and what it says about you. You might be surprised and not like what they have to say.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #379
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m certainly not as into style and fashion as a lot of you and for my casual, non-work clothes I’m comfortable with my style.

When it comes to dress/work clothes, it isn’t that I have no style, it’s that I have a super hard time finding clothes that fit properly. Even when people tell me to just go to a tailor it doesn’t help because I don’t have one and if I did I wouldn’t even know what needs to be done. I know when clothes look good and fit good but I always find it hard to get there.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #380
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

FFS Cali Panthers Fan, would you please spoiler tag explicit material like that? Some of us would like to eat again this week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: