Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Cheapest place to buy ground beef?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Costco

/thraed
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Order directly from http://www.xlfoods.com/

They have a huge sale on at the moment.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Lobotroth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You could practice Freeganism and get it for free!
Lobotroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we tell you, will you give us a coupon for your restaurant?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have a quick question that doesn't warrant an actual thread?

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...37#post3881437

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Food and Stuff.

It's where I buy my food. And my stuff.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

may not apply to the original poster, but in general, buy a cheap cut of meat like chuck eye, or even top round and grind your own. Tastes way better than any store ground beef, and this way you can safely do rare or medium rare burgers
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so no votes for 7-11?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Why can't you do medium rare burgers with store stuff? Always wondered that...
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Why can't you do medium rare burgers with store stuff? Always wondered that...
Technically you can. Although anything ground runs more of a risk of ecoli. Prepackaged burgers have more of as risk as they can have random fillers.

There was actually a good article on that this spring in the Post.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03...us-as-thought/

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 10-01-2012 at 06:31 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

^^ Because with a steak or a roast you are taking the part of the meat exposed to air and cooking the bacteria out. Once you grind the beef the entire thing is exposed to air.

What places that serves medium rare burgers are supposed to do is start with a roast, cut off the outside on all 6 sides, grind and immediately cook the beef. The outside pieces get ground up to make the well done burgers.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ecoli is from fecal matter or exposure to fecal matter. most ground beef is ground with parts of the intestines, hence the fecal matter. They try to remove but it is still almost always present.

That is why blue rare steak doesn't make you sick. If you quickly add high heat to the outside of the steak you kill of any fecal matter that it may have come in contact with. If you grind sirloin or chuck you can eat it mid rare with no issues.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you drastically misunderstand the inner workings of any modern meat packing plant, if you think that intestines are used in grind.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's not that intestines are used in ground beef, it's that muscle cuts can become contaminated in the slaughtering process.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...schlosser.html
Quote:
It's during the evisceration of the animal, or the removal of the hide, that manure can get on the meat. And when manure gets on some meat, and then that meat is ground up with lots of other meat, the whole lot of it can be contaminated.
So when meat is ground up the contaminated bits can get into the middle and not get cooked enough to kill the bacteria.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smartcar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also likely why steaks were included in the recall.
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/0.../#.UGr742t5mK0

Quote:
The beef steak recall was limited to the Costco located at 13650 50 Street in Edmonton. #The steaks were sold between Sept 4 and Sept. 7, 2012. The four E. coli illnesses traced back to the Strip Loins sold at that location were by the Alberta Health Services.
One focus of the Costco investigation is the meat tenderizing process, which might have driven the pathogen further into the meat.
Commercial meat tenderizing machines have pins, if there was any bacteria it would be on the surface and easily killed even on a blue rare steak, but the pins could drive it into the middle.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I think you drastically misunderstand the inner workings of any modern meat packing plant, if you think that intestines are used in grind.
I stand corrected.... the meat comes in contact with the intestine.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
I stand corrected.... the meat comes in contact with the intestine.
Actually that's wrong as well.

Disclaimer: I worked 15 years in the meat packing plant, from the lowliest peon to having personal connections with people in almost the highest level of management. I cannot be 100% sure of every detail that I relate here, but I never heard any contradictory evidence during those 15 years to lead me to believe any of is was incorrect. I worked at facilities that both produced and/or used beef that was processed at XL in Calgary, Lakeside in Brooks and Cargill in High River. I knew people who worked at pretty much every major plant in Alberta.

What happens is that when it is wet in the yard that the cattle are dropped of in is wet, and some of them crap on the ground. Then crap flings up and sticks to the legs of the cows, which can't be 100% washed off.

The cow is knocked, bled and then proceeds to have it's hide removed, starting at the leg. During this procedure, despite all reasonable precautions, occasionally tiny pieces of ingesta end up on the the exterior of fat on the skinned leg.

The rest of the hide is removed, all organs are removed, the cow is split into sides and it is sent to the cooler. At this point it is visually inspected for ingesta probably 5-6 times per 'area' for the rest of the process. Any ingesta is removed through whatever reconditioning process the governing body of the country deems safe, for example in Canada it is trimming off the surrounding area with a knife. Up to this point the process is pretty much universal to all modern meat packing plants.

Now here is the part where Lakeside failed, or more correctly, could have done better:

After a side is done in the slaughter area (a dirty area) and before it goes into the cooler, it would be nice to have a 'cleaning process' that would help remove the small bits of injesta and sanitize the exterior of the side. The best process for doing this is through radiation, but it produces some bad side effects since you are really just microwaving the beef, so last I heard no one was using it in a large scale facility.

Next is pasteurization, which is just like it sounds, where you essentially use steam or heat to kill the bacteria on the exterior of the cow. The Lakeside plant in Brooks, doesn't own a patent or rights to that technology, like Cargill does, so they can't use it. This technology is apparently so good that you can just eat the injesta straight up because of the small bacteria count.

However, for the life of me, I can't remember what the process is called that they use out there, but it isn't as good.

So you have a system that can't possibly remove all ingesta, and as a result all E.Coli bacteria from the system before it hits the 'clean' area where the meat is processed before it is ground. So any one misses one piece, often smaller than the head of a pin, and you get contamination. This obviously happens all the time, because the nightmare it would create in production to have 100% assurances would be far too immense to allow for any sort of profit to be made, and no one would run meat packing plants.

So they run tests all day on the product, based on a policy approved by whatever regulatory body governs that kind of thing in the country you are in. If you find a certain number of pieces in a sample of a bin/box of meat that is destined to be ground, they need to reprocess the entire bin/box. If you fail multiple bins in a shift, you might need to redo ALL bins for that shift. It really depends on the policy, but it is something along those lines.

So the government inspectors are deciding what level of contamination is allowed through, with certain levels being ok, certain being 'shut down the facility' type bad. Of course, the inspectors end up with boxes of meat in their trunk or sitting on their doorstep, probably with cash along to grease the wheels if something bad happens, so that can't help the amount that actually gets through.

So, cook your ground beef to 160, or like Ken said, only accept medium-rare burgers from a place that you know has ground it from the primal (big chunk of beef - the entire muscle typically). If it was ground in the plant, you should assume 100% that is has some level of e.coli in it.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-02-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ingesta: material taken into the body by way of the digestive tract

Most of it looks like tiny peices of grass, TBQH.

So yes, fancy name for #####, but stuff that comes out of the stomach, intestines or wherever else, also qualifies.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

So are you saying Cargill meats are good and XL may or may not be good?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote