Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #281
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Outside of the usual players I liked Fischer, Pollock and Healy. Thought they all played well and definitely something there to build on. Fischer could be another Hathaway, tough, pest like player with some skills.

Foo looks good although he should in this being one of the more seasoned players but he does a lot of the little rings right which is nice to see. Him and Jankowski have legit ####s at an NHL roster spot this year.

Joey Kenward still sucks.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #282
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
"Valiamaki"
"Janikowski"

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #283
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't catch the game since I was watching NFL but always good to see the Flames beat the Canucks. Its nice to read about their concerns with Juolevi
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #284
SirPsychoSexy
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Didn't catch the game since I was watching NFL but always good to see the Flames beat the Canucks. Its nice to read about their concerns with Juolevi
Like what? I want to remind a Canuck fan co-worker who they could have drafted over their potential bust. Some Juolevi dislike from Canuck fans would be great.
SirPsychoSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #285
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

As someone who has doubted Jankowski for quite a while. I was incredibly impressed. He looked like
He was a huge step above everyone.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #286
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPsychoSexy View Post
Like what? I want to remind a Canuck fan co-worker who they could have drafted over their potential bust. Some Juolevi dislike from Canuck fans would be great.
Reading their HF thread they were concerned by his poor play. I didn't watch but sounds like Valimaki and Andersson were better players.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #287
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just finished watching.

Man I love Valimaki. So composed, so smart, and always making the right play even under pressure. He badly outshone Juolevi tonight.

Rasmus had a great game too. Was making savvy plays on both ends of the ice and was positionally sound all night. Here's hoping two nights ago was an aberration because tonight he looked like how I expected.

Jankowski is an NHL player. That skill. That size. That reach. He shouldn't have to put on the Flaming "S" ever again.

Foo was great again tonight too. Great skater, chippy and gets a lot behind that shot as we saw on his one-timer. If he continues to play like this in main camp, he may find himself in Edmonton on October 4th.

I really like Adam Ruzicka. Could help to improve his boots, but he has a great mind for the game and always seems to know where to be. He will be an interesting one to follow next season.

Dillon Dube might be the best skater in the organization. Needs to put on some weight, but he's another one that will be intriguing to follow next season. Was a puck magnet tonight and made a lot of things happen with his forechecking and quick pivots along the wall. Fun player to watch.

Phillips was buzzing at times. Took a lot of abuse, but was fearless and never let it intimidate him. Still only 19 too so I'm curious to see where he's at in two years. (When we got to see Johnny)

Zach Fischer is a swiss army knife. Physical, has skill, can skate. This guy is the breed of the modern day enforcer. Glad our scouting staff took a flyer on him in the draft, wouldn't surprise me to see him on the Flames 4th line in a few years.

Hawerchuk with his speed and Brad Morrison with his passing and stick handling caught my eyes at time. Wouldn't mind to see Brad in Adirondack come fall.

Pollock. Big man with soft hands. What a goal. Another project to keep your eye on. AHL bound?

Nick Schneider was calm in the net tonight, great puck handler too.

Even Healey and Doetzel were solid tonight.

Hunter Smith was so-so. I'd like to see him use his frame to his advantage more. Had a couple of chances and also some turnovers. Like the fight. One thing you can't question about him is his heart. He's done nothing but improve since he's been drafted so here's hoping he takes another step next season.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #288
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always been critical of the Canucks taking Juolevi. He was the one defencemen I was hoping that the Flames avoid taking. Valimaki > Juolevi right now IMO. I think my biggest reservation of Juolevi is the lack of compete in his game, that lack of urgency. People will say that it is because he is so cerebral that it just looks like he isn't competing, but when he keeps on losing puck battles, I do question his compete. Now I am questioning his IQ too.

I think we can all expect Jankowski to make the Flames on opening night. I would say he is ready. Will be interesting to see where the Flames slot him in. There is a handful of other guys that will see time for sure, but without question Jankowski is an NHL player now.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #289
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Janko keeps #77
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #290
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
This is the sort of guy that should have gone no higher than 15th overall. Handing the Flames Tkachuk like we did was one of the dumbest, most braindead moves any GM has made running this franchise. So ****ing stupid.

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #291
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Outside of the usual players I liked Fischer, Pollock and Healy. Thought they all played well and definitely something there to build on. Fischer could be another Hathaway, tough, pest like player with some skills.

Foo looks good although he should in this being one of the more seasoned players but he does a lot of the little rings right which is nice to see. Him and Jankowski have legit ####s at an NHL roster spot this year.

I'm having trouble figuring out what bolded could mean.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #292
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
My guess is that Galakanokis meant to type ‘shots’ and fat-fingered the O.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #293
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

spelt shots with an i
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #294
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
Yeah, just bad at typing on the old mobile device I guess. My autocorrect knows me well.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #295
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well since you asked

Quote:
What the **** is Juolevi doing? He's #48, yes?
Quote:
Nice dekes and pass from Juolevi there, right after giving the puck away

Man is this guy a frustrating player
Quote:
Juolevi must really like being in London.

And Brisebois and his partner...wow. WTF was that?
Quote:
Juolevi cant skate aide to side, we need him to get a skating coach for a year.
Quote:
Most of these defensemen are later round draft picks, undrafted free agents, or are at the tournament on invites. Juolevi needs to start playing like a 5th overall pick and dominate the game in at least one of the three zones.
Quote:
If this showcase is about spots in camp.

I would cut juolevi no joke.
Quote:
A pick that high may not dominate this type of tourney maybe just thinking to get their feet under themselves going into main camp but they should be solid.

It's concerning that this doesn't seem to be the case with Juolevi especially with already being called out for attitude or what not by Green.

It could rapidly turn from being the wrong pick into a very bad pick in short order.
Quote:
Sorry but, where was Juolevi drafted?
Quote:
Really he doesn't even need to dominate just showing solid play knocking the rust off for camp would be fine. The issues he's having are concerning.
Quote:
OK. .. brutal D from 48 there. Ouc
Quote:
Pollock just undressed Juolevi.
Quote:
Juolevi turnstiled by an ECHLer. Ugh.
Quote:
Juolevi just got danced. He has not been impressive. Feel like he has a floor of a Nick Leddy.
Quote:
if this tournament means anything for evaluations, it looks like Juolevi should go back to juniors
Quote:
I dono why he gets walked so easily over and over.

Stecher like never gets walked
Quote:
Valimaki >>>> Juolevi.

Passing on Tkachuk is going to haunt us for 15~ years.

So will passing on Nylander and Ehlers.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #296
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been impressed by Zach Fisher. Seems to have a Ferland type of offensive ability. Is he able to sign an AHL deal a la Falkovsky and play pro next year?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #297
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Today's observations:

Forwards

Andrew Mangiapane [88]

-Lots of energy, creativity, and scoring chances. Made a great pass to Jankowski resulting in a goal. Had a few good chances in close. Got a few good shots on goal.

Mark Jankowski [77]

-Solid play continued. Great skater, puck distributor, great puck control, great puck protection, good at gaining the o zone. Smart player who really gets how to play centre. Very defensively responsible. Constantly got below the puck when Calgary turned it over to support defensive play and smooth breakouts. Does lots of little things right.

Spencer Foo [15]

- Showed off his speed and quick release. Lots of shots and scoring chances both 5v5 and on PP. Great hands. Lots of jump in his step. Drove the net to tip in a Jankowski pass in the first for a goal and rang another off the post. Scored on a rocket one-timer slap shot from the point on the PP.

Ben Hawerchuk [97]

-Was a great fit with Dube and Fischer causing havoc on the forecheck. Hard worker. Nice set up out of the corner led to a Fischer goal.

Dillon Dube [59]

-Continued to drive play and cause havoc on the forecheck. Non-stop motor. Flashed some skill early in the first. Seemed to constantly have the puck. Used his shiftiness to protect the puck in the o zone. Set up teammates for good chances. Used his speed well. Elevated the play of his line mates. Got stronger as the game went on.

Zack Fischer [48]

-Jump in his step, strong on the forecheck, physical, greater wrister from the slot in the first period. Continues to look better with each viewing. Replaced Smith in net-front PP position and was an improvement in the puck retrieval area. Good puck protection. Got a few quality shots on goal. Hands look good in traffic.

Brett Pollock [60]

-See few flashes of why he was a second round pick but looks to be projecting to a bottom-6 style player. Had a burst of speed and a goal off the rush in the third. Also added an empty netter.

Glenn Gawdin [80]

-Continued to play physical, win face offs, use his speed and look like a possible centre option in the bottom 6 for Stockton. Fast skater. Doubt he gets an NHL contract but maybe an AHL deal.

Hunter Smith [71]

-A little more physical. Found the right position at times but the play died on his stick a few times. Used net front on the power play but bobbled some passes. Dropped the gloves at the end of the first and landed some solid punches. Finds the right position but lacked the hands to complete a play. Threw a huge hit on the forecheck in the third.

Brad Morrison [84]

-Scoring chance created from speed but shot right into the goalie. Got an assist on the Ruzicka goal. Skating and hands look a bit choppy but was a hard worker.

Adam Ruzicka [63]

- Showed some speed on the forecheck early on. Looker faster overall today. Nice effort on the back check. Showed some speed and flashes of skill on a rush. Nice goal in tight on a rebound from a failed wraparound. Phillips seemed to bring out the offender in him.

Matthew Phillips [47]

-Didn't shy away from the tough areas, drove the net hard for scoring chances. A few passes that led to scoring chances. Nice work in tight to set up a Ruzicka goal. Seems to bounce right back up after getting hit.

Defence

Juuso Valimaki [42]

-Not as noticeable as yesterday but continued his solid play. Smart, patient heads-up, play crisp passes, smooth skating. Got beat out of the corner with a power move but stuck right with him and cross checked him after for good measure. Quietly broke up lots of plays. Excellent gap control.

Rasmus Andersson [54]

-Best of the d-men today. Looked good on the PP. Nice, accurate passes. Set up Foo for a nice one-timer. Smooth and patient on the PP. Great hockey sense and positioning at both ends of the ice.

Josh Healey [85]

-Smooth skater. Showed a burst of speed to get back for a defensive play. Seemed to rush a bit when the puck was on his stick, especially his shots. A few turnovers. Continued the physical play. Tried to jump in the play to stand out but looked like he was trying too hard at times. Tendency to be aggressive put him out of position at times but his good skating helped him recover. Definitely needs AHL time.

Kayle Doetzel [43]

-Looked like a serviceable AHL defender. Quiet game. Steady, calm, predictable d-partner.

Adam Ollas-Mattsson [68]

-Good pinch that led to Fischer's goal. An unforced turnover leading to a breakaway. Got beat wide. Some solid positional play.

Sam Ruopp [98]

-Big. Reasonably good skater for his size. Plays tough. Not enough to really stand out.

Goalies

Nick Schneider [70]

-Looked decent. Made a few good saves early. Stopped a breakaway in the second. Some good positional saves but not overly busy.
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Ring of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #298
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

In all honesty these types of prospects tournaments don't mean much to players like Juolevi. Guys who are on try-outs and stuff like that go all out while guys like Juolevi, Boeser just try to not get hurt and get to main camp. Now if Juolevi struggles in main camp and preseason games I'll be a bit concerned.

I'll also say that I don't think he should've been drafted at 5 overall, but I'm not quick to write him off yet.
Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #299
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a weird fondness for AOM.
If he continues to grow, he seems like he could be the ideal 3rd pairing guy; big, physical, smart.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #300
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Valimaki will get the nine games.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post: