Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #861
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Bravo Pizza in West Springs is open for business. standard crust pepperoni is regular pan thickness, slightly sweet tomato sauce, and decently broiled up top. thin crusts are california style and only come in size XL.

overall thumbs up and different enough from other nearby options that it can go into the rotation without replacing anything.

https://bravopizzas.ca/
we had it on Friday and our take is similar- will go into the rotation. we went standard crust , the sauce definitely is notable

they phoned two hours later to followup and ask us how we enjoyed the meal
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:03 AM   #862
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
To clarify, ham is also considered both sweet and savory, as it is a meat cured in relatively large amounts of sugar. What makes the hawaiin pizza good is the play of the sweet and caramelized pineapple and ham off each other.

Also, on the fruit thing, virtually all "vegetable" toppings commonly found on pizza are indeed fruits: olives and all peppers. In fact, the only common true vegetable pizza topping is probably the onion.

So basically, the only thing that separates pineapple from the other toppings is sugar content. But Ham is sweet, and we just had multiple posters talking about how much they love honey on their pizza.
I have only found 1 pizza that pulled off pineapple and that is at the Blackbird Pub down by me.

It isn't a menu regular but is pineapple, fried chicken, jalapenos. Now I was pretty lit up, but it was amazing.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #863
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have only found 1 pizza that pulled off pineapple and that is at the Blackbird Pub down by me.

It isn't a menu regular but is pineapple, fried chicken, jalapenos. Now I was pretty lit up, but it was amazing.
I also forgot to add, that a key to a good hawaiian is also in the sauce. The sauce should be tangier than normal, which bridges the gap between the sweet and savory.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #864
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dislike pineapple on pizza for the same reason I dislike fresh tomatoes - they prevent the cheese from crisping. In general, I prefer sub-cheese toppings (pepperoni, mushrooms, ham) on traditional cheesy pizzas.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:40 AM   #865
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I also forgot to add, that a key to a good hawaiian is also in the sauce. The sauce should be tangier than normal, which bridges the gap between the sweet and savory.
Or spicy, a nice spicy sauce and the pineapple on top to caramelize.
Lame, half cooked pineapple is terrible, I think that's why most people don't like it.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #866
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spiros pizza has a great pineapple “Anna’s island”

Posto has a great pineapple pizza with jalapeņos. Also the last time i was there they used pickled pineapple which was unreal

I think what has led the turn around on pineapple pizza is the greater emphasis on gourmet pizza. Like poster said above, half cooked pineapple pizza is crap. So most chain places make crap pineapple. I won’t order it at dominoes or papa John’s etc because they don’t take the care to make a good pizza.

Last edited by Cappy; 12-10-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #867
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fastlane Pizza in Acadia has a delicious spicy sauce option that goes good with pineapple. My go-to is pepperoni and pineapple with that sauce.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #868
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hawaiian with a spicy component is the king of pizzas.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #869
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Since I haven't seen it mentioned, Connie and Johns has opened up in the East Village. Chef Connie DeSousa from CharCut has opened up a Detroit style and New York style pizza place. https://www.connieandjohns.com/
Went full grease wheel tonight and have one of these on order.

Looking forward to folded cheesy goodness!!!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #870
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
That's great news! Tavernatta was my favorite restaurant and I was supremely disappointed when they closed.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
ordered Little Tavern yesterday. did pickup but the in house restaurant/lounge was actually fairly active, but that's for another thread

my wife placed the order and I think she was warned the pizzas were big- and they are (we did the Sicilian thick style, which measure 18x12, they also sell a thin crust 16 inch pie)

very good- we definitely have a few more meals worth of leftovers. did remind us of a very specific pizza location in Italy we had once

will return
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #871
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Went full grease wheel tonight and have one of these on order.

Looking forward to folded cheesy goodness!!!
It is a good pizza, but don't think it's quite worth $35.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #872
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Are you able to crisp the bottom well? I get this dough and set my oven at 525F I put the pizza on steel to prep and slide it on stone. The stone had been in for 30 mins.

Still pale bottom.

Crisp crust is the most underrated but most critical to a great pizza. Drives me crazy I can’t get it consistently right!
I put my dough in a gently warmed and lightly oiled/buttered 12” cast iron pan. Into a 500 degree oven that I immediately drop to 425, for 11 mins. Typical flip it to broiler with one minute left. Crispy every time! Maybe it has something to do with the dough too though.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #873
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It is a good pizza, but don't think it's quite worth $35.
Totally agree. We ordered a couple a little while ago - one of each style - $63. Everyone really liked it. But price is steep for what you get.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #874
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Totally agree. We ordered a couple a little while ago - one of each style - $63. Everyone really liked it. But price is steep for what you get.
The biggest piss off was that it was cold by the time I got it home. I live less than 5 minutes from charbar. So clearly it was waiting in the oven down below for at least 30 minutes before I was supposed to pick it up as I was right on schedule for once in my life.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #875
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The biggest piss off was that it was cold by the time I got it home. I live less than 5 minutes from charbar. So clearly it was waiting in the oven down below for at least 30 minutes before I was supposed to pick it up as I was right on schedule for once in my life.
You had the opposite problem i did, mine was 20 minutes late. It was worth a shot but definitely not worth the money.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2020, 11:52 PM   #876
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Bravo Pizza in West Springs is open for business. standard crust pepperoni is regular pan thickness, slightly sweet tomato sauce, and decently broiled up top. thin crusts are california style and only come in size XL.

overall thumbs up and different enough from other nearby options that it can go into the rotation without replacing anything.

https://bravopizzas.ca/

Had this tonight.

I'd rank it below recent try's we have had with Good Pizza and Villages Pizza.

Pricey and taste didn't quite hold up in our opinions.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #877
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have visited Airdrie a few times recently for some work related things. I have stopped by a place called Old Town Pizza House and had an amazing pie and other things as well.

Pizza loaded with toppings, great prices for dine in service while it was allowed and plenty of the nicely browned cheese. It was a medium thick crust.

If I lived in town it would be a very regular spot for sure.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #878
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

We had Connie & John's again last night. As per my last post about it in this thread, I had the same issue with them cooking it way too early. We were driving there and got notified it was ready when we were at Deerfoot and Anderson

So we gave it another chance last night and went with the Detroit pepperoni. Still way too much grease/pepperoni/salt for us, as much as I like a greasy slice.

The bigger issue is the pizza itself. We were already on our way home when we noticed one slice of the rectangle pizza was missing We really didn't want to go back and complain and wait another 20 for a new pizza. They told us it was a failed pizza (we noticed when we got home the edges that were fairly burned). They kept in the kitchen for their staff and when they went to grab our pizza, they grabbed this one instead with a slice missing. Very weird, not sure why they would stack good pizzas next to one the staff was going to munch on. They said they would refund the pizza, will keep an eye on the CC.

So, be early and check your pizza for missing slices As they dont have any real combination pizzas that we like, we wont be heading back.

Last edited by RW99; 12-13-2020 at 11:01 AM.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #879
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else tired of this new (and disgusting) fad of throwing anything on a pizza? I’m sorry but perogies, donair’s, tacos, and spaghetti should never make it’s way on a pizza. Had Royal pizza from Sage Hill on the weekend and noticed a spaghetti and meat sauce pizza...ugh.

Anyhow, ordered a pepperoni, green pepper and mushroom which was good. A tad soggy but otherwise decent. Also got a Hawaiian...sauce was a bit too sweet for my liking.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #880
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Donair pizza has been around for a long time. I used to get it when I went to SAIT and it is amazing, as long as the pizza place is also a donair place. Spaghetti and meat sauce though sounds like it would put me in a coma.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote