Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #3401
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cyberpunk 2077 CE for PC is available

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07THHKLN4/..._ya_os_product
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #3402
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
To be fair, none of those are anywhere near as demanding. You've got between zero and one NPC asset in those shots.

Anyway I doubt the hardware is the problem exactly, it's more that if you're developing a game, you kind of have to choose which platform you're giving priority to. Cp77 no doubt could have just been designed for last gen console and would be a better game for those consoles as a result, but it would place a ceiling on what it would look like on new hardware PCs and new gen consoles.

With the benefit of hindsight, it maybe would have been best to delay it further and / or only release it on PC and new gen consoles, but the point about foregoing lots of sales is a good one. That's a tough sell given the amount of money spent on development.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #3403
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If my PC was running mid level hardware from 2012 like the PS4 is, I'd expect it to run terribly for me too. But again that's on CDPR not the players. They should have not bothered or at least delayed it, nothing wrong with a later release for some platforms
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #3404
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
To be fair, none of those are anywhere near as demanding. You've got between zero and one NPC asset in those shots.

Anyway I doubt the hardware is the problem exactly, it's more that if you're developing a game, you kind of have to choose which platform you're giving priority to. Cp77 no doubt could have just been designed for last gen console and would be a better game for those consoles as a result, but it would place a ceiling on what it would look like on new hardware PCs and new gen consoles.

With the benefit of hindsight, it maybe would have been best to delay it further and / or only release it on PC and new gen consoles, but the point about foregoing lots of sales is a good one. That's a tough sell given the amount of money spent on development.
Umm, did you even see the shots on the consoles? My buddy is playing through it now and it's basically rendered worse that what some games were rendered on the PS3. The PS4 version is like 540-720p at best according to him and it still suffers from garbage frame rates, stutters, freezes etc. He says he could live with the lower quality if the game play was smooth, or the crappy game play if the game was beautiful, but he has neither on the PS4.

I think many gamers would have been fine with it not being released/delayed for console, or released on PC first only... but that's not how it was touted and the company keeps contradicting itself. It was supposed to run on those consoles. It doesn't run. It's not just a few glitches it's straight up game breaking. This isn't a few bugs, it's a plague. Not a few freezes, it's a polar vortex. More choppy than a lumberjack competition... Anyone on a console, this was being sold a bill of goods, plain and simple.

The game runs fine on PC. That's cool, but the console launch was botched horrifically, plain and simple at levels that I don't think we have ever seen before.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #3405
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Any PS5 owners here that have Madden 21 on PS4 who have had problems getting the PS5 upgrade to work?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #3406
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

The first Cyberpunk teaser trailer came out in Jan 2013, almost a full year before the PS4 even launched. It was in development for the entirety of last-gen, there is no excuse for the sad performance on those consoles. And the "ceiling" argument is bunk, it's quite possible to develop multiple versions of a game with different capabilities. Miles Morales looks and plays absolutely fantastic on the PS5, but the PS4 version isn't some crippled mess because of it (with lots of NPCs)

This just comes down to CDPR developing for high-end PC's first so they could get the prettiest screenshots for marketing, ignoring the console base that made up the actual bulk of pre-orders. And the PC version is still rife with bugs too and an open world that isn't even half of what CDPR teased. Hell you can't even get in a police pursuit, the cops don't have any car AI. That's something GTA had working pretty well almost 20 years ago

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 12-14-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #3407
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Any PS5 owners here that have Madden 21 on PS4 who have had problems getting the PS5 upgrade to work?
You should just have to go to the PSN Store, and the PS5 Version of the game should be discounted 100% (so, free). Add it to cart, and check out.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #3408
Toonage

Exp:

Ah, if it were only that easy. See, I am prompted for the upgrade in the PS4 game (disc in the PS5) and even found it in the store and the game hub. Each time I download it it gives me the trial from EA Play and then tells me it can't connect to the servers. I can't download the full version of the game as it appears to be an EA Play glitch. Curious if anyone else had errors. Basically I can't upgrade to the full version and the trial it keeps giving me can't get online to play at all.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #3409
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's messed up, sorry Toonage. I'd hit up @EAHelp on twitter if you haven't already.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #3410
Toonage

Exp:

I've spoken with EA at length (several cases open) and they reply to me in an almost robotic fashion. Ask for pics of the game disc, my online ID, proof of purchase, and then proceed to tell me how to upgrade, apologize for the problem I am having with FIFA (wrong game, which makes me laugh) and I even tried cancelling EA Play but they told me to go to Sony about it, who in turn told me they can't cancel it any longer. Just have to wait for it to run out. At this point I was just hoping someone who had a similar issue maybe had a work around. If by chance you read anything somewhere by all means feel free to share it with me. Very much appreciated!
Old 12-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #3411
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I have played several hours on my PS4 and regret it. It looks like Duke Nukem, but honestly I find the dialog and gameplay super corny so that could be part of it.

I am going to get a refund and reconsider when I get my PS5.
Yep, all the performance talk but I'm not sure I even like the game very much...it's okay

Not the best shooter, not the best open world game
Old 12-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #3412
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yep, all the performance talk but I'm not sure I even like the game very much...it's okay

Not the best shooter, not the best open world game
Yeah performance aside (runs great for me) the game just isn't that fun. The combat and driving feel terrible
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #3413
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Link
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #3414
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Instant police?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #3415
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gross the enemies are bullet sponges too? Good way to make me not want to play a shooter.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #3416
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Gross the enemies are bullet sponges too? Good way to make me not want to play a shooter.
From what I am given to understand, you start off weak, with crappy guns and almost no skills/driving abilities. So everything feels like it sucks. Then as you level and grow and find/make better stuff, you do much better.

So you are supposed to grow into a very good character. But folks aren't making it that far, due to the bugs.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #3417
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those magical spawning police officers are a neat game mechanic.

IMO it's these types of bugs that show the game was rushed and is just broken.

It's one thing for the game to just not look good on last gen due to the demands of the game itself, but when you have actual flaws in the AI and game logic then it's a different issue.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #3418
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That's about the time I gave up on Yakuza Kiwami when I tried to get into the series. Half the game is sitting watching these characters talk in terrible dialog with a super hamfisted plot. I realized that Japanese games just aren't for me
I powered through it and am now on chapter 7. My revised review is I love it and will fight anyone who doesn’t like it. Pointless substories? Mob bosses in diapers fighting over formula? Rogue crawfish? A dumb as rocks protagonist and silliness abounds and is mixed with intermittent graphic violence. You son of a bitch I’m in.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #3419
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

On a side bar to the best games of 2020 thread, I wanted to post my top 5 favorite games I played this year with no restrictions on release date or DLC.

1. Hades
2. Breath of the Wild (second playthrough, still amazing)
3. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Patches 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 (I suppose each one is a separate "release" but the 2020 patches really do meld together nicely and make up an incredible amount of content)
4. American Truck Simulator: Colorado DLC
5. Super Mario World (played it again for the 30th anniversary, still really fun)
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #3420
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't help but feel bad for the devs and marketing team for Cyberpunk 2077. They're taking a ton of flak that likely isn't even their fault. I can't help but feel like the situation they're in is purely due to unrealistic and idiotic restrictions/requirements on how to do things, placed upon them by upper management/investors who don't know what they're doing.

I think that's why there was that debacle in November where the marketing team tweeted it was a firm release date in November, only for a tweet that over rode them around a day later.

This is also perhaps why a game that was to be built for last gen consoles in mind now looks like a rushed, crippled mess of a PS3 (not even PS4) PC port when it's been in development for years.

Heck, ME:Andromeda was in this type of development hell/reset situations and even they rushed out something in 18 months that wasn't as bad as this. This on top of the fact that the game was supposed to be released April 2020, and 6 months of delays later, this is what shows up on console? Based on the promises made over the years, where the console games are at etc. this is something to expect stage wise in April, not half a year of delays later. You can't really blame devs if they are told to march in the wrong direction off a cliff. This on top of the fact that I believe the console versions are at like the 4th patch since launch? (v1.4 vs v1.1 at launch per my buddy) This is why I blame the upper management/investors over devs.

You tell devs with no interference to focus on graphics or play-ability, they should be able to figure one or the other out in 6 months. Not being able to do either in 6 months is seemingly not possible without interference or inability to utilize the full 6 months.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote