Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2021, 12:20 AM   #1941
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Nault is pretty much the reason why I don't listen to the afternoon show. I actually think Steinberg is pretty good and I don't mind Klein either.
Nault is basically the drunk, angry guy at the bar who yells and throws things when conversations don’t go his way. He actually cheapens the show with his amateur hour takes and rants. Matt Rose or Logan could easily fill in for him and improve the show immensely. There’s negativity, then there’s just Nault. He went from copying everything Pat said to being the “everything sucks, I told you so” guy.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 12:50 AM   #1942
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Doesn't he ride on the plane with the team though? He's probably constantly interacting with the team and having real life conversations with them. I'd imagine that makes it tougher to criticize guys. I think he does a pretty good job of telling it like it is given those circumstances if that's how they are.

Wills is a glorified fan, with a job related to the team.

He does what he does well, calling play by play.

I don’t get that he is a strategist, or expert analyst, and that’s fine.

He’s just a guy who watches a lot of hockey and is around the team a lot by virtue of his job, but they shouldn’t present him as a guy with insight beyond what should be expected based on what he does

Give him kudos for his strengths and don’t project some sort of wisdom by proximity. Nothing wrong with that
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:17 AM   #1943
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think that there is a way to criticize or provide non-binary comments without the either or black or white being suggested here. And still maintain the friendships he has developed that he places above his own integrity and credibility.

For Wills it’s shortsighted because these players will come and go man. It’s how you become a legendary broadcaster like Maher... you realize you’re the fixture and these pampered millionaires the disposable ones.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:24 AM   #1944
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that Wills is pretty much just a Flames shill, that's part of his job I guess. But his love for Mike Smith seems way over the top, even for him. You can tell during Smith's stint here, as soon as Smith bounced back from a stretch of terrible games, guy could barely contain the smug "I told you so" attitude. He'd go out of his way to keep praising him for some reason. And that's after Smith has one or two average games, where he wasn't complete garbage.

Even now, he keeps saying how Smith looks good on the Oilers team. Maybe they're good friends, who knows. But reign it back a little at least.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #1945
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Kersh just mentioned on the fan, that they had meetings, I believe yesterday about not piling on to the Flames. It does seem a coincidence that Boomer, wasnt on the morning show today!
I certainly hope that's not the case.
Cowtownred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #1946
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another way to avoid media piling on the flames might be for flames management to address the performance of the team instead.
Speaking for myself of course, but I want my sports media to cut the bs and tell it like it is.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #1947
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Another way to avoid media piling on the flames might be for flames management to address the performance of the team instead.
Speaking for myself of course, but I want my sports media to cut the bs and tell it like it is.
Another way is to avoid media piling on is to avoid lazy easy takes.

You don’t have to be fanboys or doomers.

Do a smidgen or reading or research into literally a bottomless amount of material on professional sports and hockey (psychology, player development, mindset, roster discussion, audio books, podcast etc. etc. etc.).

Either the clowns at the station don’t have the capacity to communicate organized insightful thoughts or they’re lazy. Either way... thanks but no thanks.

Say what you want about Kerr, but he was good cultivating an alternative way of looking at topics. If you don’t agree, fine, that’s the point.

Pat is improving. I stopped listening to anything that includes Nault. He brings everyone down with him and it would be best if he stuck to producing. He’s the last person I would have mentoring anyone on hockey commentary.

I’m sure he’s a great guy and a ton of fun to hang around with, but there are exponentially better options for hockey discussion than his blather.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #1948
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtownred View Post
Kersh just mentioned on the fan, that they had meetings, I believe yesterday about not piling on to the Flames. It does seem a coincidence that Boomer, wasnt on the morning show today!
I certainly hope that's not the case.
Pinder was off the air as well was he not? Pretty laughable if the Flames came down on them for being critical as you have to have a bit of skin if you are going to own/run/operate a professional sports team. Don't ice a ####ty product if you can't handle criticism.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #1949
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Pinder was off the air as well was he not? Pretty laughable if the Flames came down on them for being critical as you have to have a bit of skin if you are going to own/run/operate a professional sports team. Don't ice a ####ty product if you can't handle criticism.
No Pinder stepped up into Boomers position, so Peter Klein took over the 9am slot
Old 03-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #1950
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Another way is to avoid media piling on is to avoid lazy easy takes.

Pat is improving. I stopped listening to anything that includes Nault. He brings everyone down with him and it would be best if he stuck to producing. He’s the last person I would have mentoring anyone on hockey commentary.

I’m sure he’s a great guy and a ton of fun to hang around with, but there are exponentially better options for hockey discussion than his blather.
I dont really like Nault either, but you have to agree, he has been spot on about the Flames for the last year or so? He has been the only guy saying the team are not very good, totally going against the other guys.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #1951
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really dislike that they've decided on an "agenda".

More apologists on the radio. Absolutely a joke. Pat is on the air making excuses for why this isn't the year to rebuild.

Yes, let's make excuses for incompetence. Let's not expect more from this team. It's too difficult to make trades...even though Winnipeg has already made an absolutely massive deal - while Brad Treliving hasn't made a single in-season trade worth a damn in 7 years. Our direct competition, Winnipeg, swung a HUGE deal. It's too difficult for the Flames to do it though? Bah, that's bull!@#$ excuse making.

Best to just waddle through the wastelands of irrelevancy.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-03-2021 at 03:34 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #1952
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you have traded Tkachuk for Dubois?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:54 PM   #1953
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Would you have traded Tkachuk for Dubois?
Not sure he is saying we should have jumped onto that deal. I took it to mean that the WPG example shows that a big deal can be done even in a Covid season.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #1954
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Listening to Will Nault on the fan right now is cringeworthy. Guy sounds like he is about to cry on the radio cause Steinberg wants to keep Lindholm through a rebuild if they get to that point. The guy can’t have a professional debate, I don’t understand why they keep him on the radio.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #1955
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Listening to Will Nault on the fan right now is cringeworthy. Guy sounds like he is about to cry on the radio cause Steinberg wants to keep Lindholm through a rebuild if they get to that point. The guy can’t have a professional debate, I don’t understand why they keep him on the radio.
He makes it impossible to have a discussion and he takes things far too personally. If someone cuts him off he angrily yells to let him finish and then proceeds to do the same thing himself. I remember when he melted down on Pinder as well who remained calm and Nault seemed like he was going to angry cry.

Even if I can agree with his points he just sucks at how he delivers them.

He is leading me to turn off the station.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #1956
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Sounds like he is just a fed up, frustrated fan of the Flames.
He did say about being 30 years old, and seeing the same organizational problems over that time.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #1957
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

Kevin Bieska up next. This should be good.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #1958
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I really dislike that they've decided on an "agenda".

More apologists on the radio. Absolutely a joke. Pat is on the air making excuses for why this isn't the year to rebuild.

Yes, let's make excuses for incompetence. Let's not expect more from this team. It's too difficult to make trades...even though Winnipeg has already made an absolutely massive deal - while Brad Treliving hasn't made a single in-season trade worth a damn in 7 years. Our direct competition, Winnipeg, swung a HUGE deal. It's too difficult for the Flames to do it though? Bah, that's bull!@#$ excuse making.

Best to just waddle through the wastelands of irrelevancy.
Winnipeg made a bad deal though...it's never a good time to make a bad deal
Old 03-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #1959
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I tuned in for a short period yesterday afternoon and I now see what so many of you are talking about when it comes to Will Nault. He got so upset over a discussion over whether they should get rid of Treliving now or at the end of the season I thought he was going to lose it. It wasn't like the other two were even arguing with him but, for some reason, he was raging.

I do have to say, though, I've heard Versteeg on there a couple of times now and I really appreciate his takes on the Flames systems. Provides a lot of useful information and insight to what they are doing, why they're not working and what they could do to make them more effective. This is the kind of information I'd love to hear from the color broadcasters.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #1960
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtownred View Post
Sounds like he is just a fed up, frustrated fan of the Flames.
He did say about being 30 years old, and seeing the same organizational problems over that time.
He is an idiot though...you can't trade every NHLer on your team. Trading Lindholm is the hill he is gonna die on?