Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #201
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

His love of food and travel is well known but he was also very heavily into Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and his loss has had a large impact on that community as well. Seems like he was a very popular person.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ip392

This is the Les Halles episode. It's mostly Mexicans and central Americans (like a massive part of the restaurant industry in the US is). The epicness starts at 33:00
That was awesome. Thanks for posting that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #203
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #204
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Whenever I hear people say, "suicide is the easy way out", I know that person is pretty much what I call a lowest common denominator thinker.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure everything leading up to finally offing yourself is likely pretty damned difficult.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #205
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Whenever I hear people say, "suicide is the easy way out", I know that person is pretty much what I call a lowest common denominator thinker.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure everything leading up to finally offing yourself is likely pretty damned difficult.
It's generally from a lack of education, to which a lot of the blame falls on our government for failing to properly teach our population about mental illnesses.

It's getting way better, but Canadian society as a whole is still pretty ignorant towards illnesses and disease they haven't experienced in their families or close circles.

And when ignorance comes into play with something that produces results that surprise or confuse (aka suicide, schizophrenia) human beings turn ugly and tend to push away science and facts because they want to demonize.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #206
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Like when a paranoid schizophrenic kills someone, you'll see the educated view of how it works and how it could happen to anyone, and how jail is literally useless.

But anyone who isn't well versed in the illness will fall back on simple human nature - "I can't imagine how someone could kill someone without knowing they did it so therefore he shall be judged as a regular person without this so called paranoid schizophrenia, which makes him a despicable monster who should never see the light of day despite what any stupid doctor or health professional says".

It quickly turns into a need for justice and the facts get in the way of that human need so they are ignored/pushed away. Those who call suicide selfish are on the same wavelength. They can't accept it if they experience it before being properly educated and react accordingly and will rarely give into facts that counter what they believe (just like politics).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #207
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
His love of food and travel is well known but he was also very heavily into Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and his loss has had a large impact on that community as well. Seems like he was a very popular person.
my favorite episode was the Okinawa one when the 70 year old master gave Bourdain a lesson about pressure points.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #208
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/...VD&sh=12314f50
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #209
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
my favorite episode was the Okinawa one when the 70 year old master gave Bourdain a lesson about pressure points.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #210
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of his greatest adventures ever! Giant squid hunting in Sicily. Couldn't find the follow up to this where he blows up but it's must watch.

Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #211
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

David Simon posted a nice tribute about Bourdain yesterday.

Quote:
Bourdain insisted that creative and personal growth is, for all us, dependent on encounters with The Other, on a journey from the known and comfortable to the alien and disorienting. ... That’s what he argued successfully in our drama. That’s what he argued successfully in his world journeys on television.

He was precise when he told Barack Obama that he wished more Americans had passports. And indeed, it’s hard to argue against the idea that the portion of our republic that hasn’t ventured abroad is the deadweight now dragging us into national mediocrity, insisting that all points of the compass save ours lack basic liberties, or don’t exalt human values, or don’t eat, drink, cure the sick, proscribe violence or educate fools with greater efficacy than we do in this fading realm. They won’t go there. They won’t dare. Yet they already know how exceptional America is and how miserable and frightening the rest of the world must surely be.

Go, move, see, feel, eat – grow. The Church of Bourdain was founded not merely on the ever-more-vulnerable national credo that all Americans are created equal, but on the much more ambitious insistence that this declaration might be applied wherever you wandered and with whomsoever you cooked or shared a meal. He remains, for many of us, the American that we wish ourselves to be in the world’s sight. To have him widely displayed as our countryman, open to and caring about the rest of the world, and being so amid our current political degradation — this was ever more important and heroic. To lose him now, amid so many fear-mongering, xenophobic tantrums by those engaged in our misrule, is hideous and grievous.

But make no mistake: It wasn’t love of food that led Bourdain to the embrace of a shared human experience, of a world merely hiding its great commonalities behind vast and obvious culinary variations. It was the other way around. Tony was intensely political, a man always aware of those at the margins, or those who seem never to be reached by wealth or status or recognition.
http://davidsimon.com/tony/
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #212
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bourdain wasn't really famous over here and I had only vaguely known his name, but I recently saw the Parts Unknown episode about Armenia with Serj Tankian and absolutely loved it. Looks like a series I could get hooked to.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #213
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Bourdain wasn't really famous over here and I had only vaguely known his name, but I recently saw the Parts Unknown episode about Armenia with Serj Tankian and absolutely loved it. Looks like a series I could get hooked to.
That was a great episode.

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #214
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was never personally a fan, but I knew of the guy and respected him. I actually hate food and eating, so I was never really interested in his shows or books, but I know plenty of people that were.

This is heartbreaking for so many and it seems to have affected a lot of you quite profoundly. I am more into music, so I personally have still not recovered from the loss of Chris Cornell. I can't listen to his voice and it'll be a while before I can again

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your travel stories---I wonder if he knew how much of a positive impact he had on people? My condolences.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #215
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
I actually hate food and eating
Huh. I didn't realize this was even a thing. You hate eating food?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #216
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Huh. I didn't realize this was even a thing. You hate eating food?
Leaves more room for drinking.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Leaves more room for drinking.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #218
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eating is cheating.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #219
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
That was a great episode.

Great! Thanks for posting! I'm shocked I hadnt seen that one.

Does anyone else find it weird to watch Anthony Bourdain episodes now?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #220
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched a ton of episodes this weekend. Probably a dozen. It's pretty bittersweet.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: