Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Rating out of 10 : Flames Deadline
0 3 0.98%
1 8 2.61%
2 9 2.93%
3 33 10.75%
4 25 8.14%
5 51 16.61%
6 77 25.08%
7 73 23.78%
8 23 7.49%
9 1 0.33%
10 4 1.30%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #161
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with the additions, but I wish we would have been able to cash in an asset (Brodie or Hamonic). I know that injuries sort of took that choice out of Tre's hands, so it's tough to trash him too much for not selling off one of our ufas.

I would have liked to see a middle 6 rw as well, but echoing others, the prices seemed way too high to get it done.

6/10 imo
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #162
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It has been totally quiet on the contract front with Brodie. Maybe he does want to stay here, or maybe he does not want to be traded in season (I'd suggest few players do unless they are end of career chasing a ring or simply unhappy with their role). But I'm guessing if the Flames wanted to move him, they would have.
I tend to think that the Flames have a stronger appetite to re-sign Brodie than it appears from the outside looking in, but again, I think it was more difficult to trade Brodie than you insinuate. Certainly the Flames could have moved him if they were determined to do so, but perhaps we can agree on this much: there are several mitigating factors which have either hampered their ability, desire or both to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #163
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
These poll results are interesting and kind of show that there was a huge vocal minority yesterday.

After reading all the comments throughout the day I would have guessed the average would fall between 3-4, and not 6-7.

Reading this board sometimes does not give the most accurate pulse of our community.
Not necessarily, as it seems that most of the higher-rated posts are also accompanied by comments like "didn't do anything stupid"...which rather limits the logic of what is considered "good" vs "bad"....
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #164
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
....It's when you consider whether he was able to improve the team's shortcomings and position the team for future success that the grade gets lowered. There is no real improvement here and we have 5 pending UFA's on the back end.

For an offseason that figures to be monumental, that's not a great position to start from...
See, this is where I disagree. Having exclusive negotiating rights to five UFA defensemen to fill two or three positions affords a pretty useful level of flexibility.

Quote:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #165
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Not necessarily, as it seems that most of the higher-rated posts are also accompanied by comments like "didn't do anything stupid"...which rather limits the logic of what is considered "good" vs "bad"....
I feel that regardless of team and year, not doing something stupid is always a win on deadline day.

We’ve seen a lot of horrible trades before.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #166
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
See, this is where I disagree. Having exclusive negotiating rights to five UFA defensemen to fill two or three positions affords a pretty useful level of flexibility.
This is actually a really good point I hadn’t considered.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #167
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Voted 5

DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #168
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is actually a really good point I hadn’t considered.
I just hope Treliving doesn’t feel pressured to sign them because he gave up assets for them.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #169
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I just hope Treliving doesn’t feel pressured to sign them because he gave up assets for them.
He didn't even attempt to sign Fantenberg or Shore in the past couple years after giving up assets, so I don't think he will.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:25 PM   #170
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Itse, I have to disagree. Winning a round is nothing. This core group won a round 3 years ago and it has meant basically nothing to the team. In fact, it is probably the single biggest contributing factor to the team now bottoming out as it provided them with the false belief that they were close to contention. Winning a round or two this year likely has the same effect, pushing off hard decisions because of a mistaken belief that luck = preparation.
I have two separate comments to this. First, I don't agree they lucked out. They had the right coach for that time, and more importantly they had someone with lots of experience and who was good at playoff hockey. That kind of a coach can push a team further than they should go on paper.

(IMO the first consistent mistake this organization makes is underestimating the importance of the head coach. It's why we're almost never any better than our roster. The second consistent mistake is that the management (and even ownership) is too involved in deciding how the team should play. These are obviously related issues. I feel like head coaches are typically treated like middle management in Calgary.)

Second, I don't think winning a round now would be anything like winning that round was last time, mentally speaking. Winning a round now would show they can actually win a round without needing to be special super underdogs on fire. It would mean the first one was not a fluke.

Btw, I think the team would have been sellers if there hadn't been terribly timed injuries in the back end. It's an example that the best laid most meticulous plans can go to waste in an instant. You have to make do with the cards you're dealt.

Remove an injury from either Välimäki or Hamonic and the whole situation is different.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #171
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Please provide some research and data on how many UFAs sign with the team that they finish the season.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:56 PM   #172
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Please provide some research and data on how many UFAs sign with the team that they finish the season.
This is a very narrow minded view to a post referring to the flexibility the team has now.

For example, he can evaluate different combinations of the 5, and what their anticipated salaries are, to help shape roster decisions for the summer. And he can start on that today.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #173
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I give it a 6/10. I'm happy with the additions, but I did want a winger too however I guess that wasn't feasible this time around with prices that were being paid for some of the guys that were available. I'm pleased Tre didn't spend much.

I'm excited to see what Gustafsson can do, being essentially a bottom pair defenceman that can put up 50+ points just on offensive ability including power play prowess. Hopefully Forbort is a defensively responsible physical presence.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #174
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well sure the Flames have the choice of whether they want to offer them a contract. But the point is they will be expensive given their UFA rights. And if the off season is about trades, expiring UFA’s have no value.

That’s why they’re considered rentals.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #175
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
He didn't even attempt to sign Fantenberg or Shore in the past couple years after giving up assets, so I don't think he will.
I raise you a Michael Stone.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #176
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the players we added will not make a difference in whether this team makes the playoffs, how well they do in the playoffs if they make it nor will they re-sign either as a UFA. So, probably they just burned a couple picks for nothing.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #177
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
You go ahead and dig that up if you are so inclined.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #178
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Well sure the Flames have the choice of whether they want to offer them a contract. But the point is they will be expensive given their UFA rights. And if the off season is about trades, expiring UFA’s have no value.

That’s why they’re considered rentals.
The Flames would have had the same number of holes to fill on the blue line whether or not they moved Brodie at the deadline, but I tend to think having a surplus of players with exclusive negotiating rights like they do is ultimately beneficial. They won't be paying any more to fill those holes than they would have without acquiring additional defensemen, and now that they have there is a chance it may even cost a little less.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-25-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #179
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames would have had the same number of holes to fill on the blue line whether or not they moved Brodie at the deadline, but I tend to think having a surplus of players with exclusive negotiating rights like they do is ultimately beneficial. They won't be paying any more to fill those holes than they would have without acquiring additional defensemen, and now that they have there is a chance it may even cost a little less.
I see what you are saying and agree they are no worse off in terms of having to fill the upcoming holes on the back end than before the deadline. I might have hoped that knowing this situation was coming for a year, the organization would have managed their assets a little differently. For now, I hope one or both of the new guys fit in and are interested in staying.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:26 AM   #180
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gave him a 7. I was hoping to add, and he did. I didn’t want him to sell, and he didn’t.

I wanted to add a forward but we didn’t get one. Could have been a lot worse.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote