Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Shaw Centre Ice Package - New PVR

This will be my 4th season (maybe 3rd, I forget) with the Centre Ice Package. I called the other day and they said they will be giving me a new PVR with my order. I currently have the silver Motorola one...not sure the model name but you guys know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, they said because more games are being offered in HD this year, I will need this new PVR. I don't think it's made by Motorola and I'm curious as to why I need it and if it's actually better? Yeah, it's free but I only want it if it's an upgrade.

Can anyone shed light on the situation?
YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=95352
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the linked thread discusses it, but just for future reference, its because Centre Ice (and Sunday Ticket I believe) are broadcast using MPEG4 now (which only certain newer boxes can process). Use it as a good excuse to snag a free DCX-3400
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I know the linked thread discusses it, but just for future reference, its because Centre Ice (and Sunday Ticket I believe) are broadcast using MPEG4 now (which only certain newer boxes can process). Use it as a good excuse to snag a free DCX-3400
The only problem is it's really hard to get the DCX-3400 right now. They seem to be out everywhere from what I can tell. I live in Vancouver and ended up going out to Surrey (long story, don't ask.)

I ended up getting the Pace box (which I have heard less than stellar things about) with the 1TB expander because it was all they had in stock. I got it a week ago and so far, it works just fine. It is more responsive than the old silver Motorola I had and it has way more storage space.

I haven't had any of the myriad of problems other folks have reported yet, but I can tell you that the first time anything crops up, I'll be on the phone to Shaw demanding they get me a DCX-3400.

Also, it helps to keep in mind that people very seldom go on the internet or forums to report "things are great! No complaints here!"
Crazy Bacon Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Whatever they gave us won't rewind and I am pissed. WTF.

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinFlame View Post
Whatever they gave us won't rewind and I am pissed. WTF.
Pull the power plug for a few minutes and plug it back in. This happened to me as well.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bacon Legs View Post
The only problem is it's really hard to get the DCX-3400 right now. They seem to be out everywhere from what I can tell. I live in Vancouver and ended up going out to Surrey (long story, don't ask.)

I ended up getting the Pace box (which I have heard less than stellar things about) with the 1TB expander because it was all they had in stock. I got it a week ago and so far, it works just fine. It is more responsive than the old silver Motorola I had and it has way more storage space.

I haven't had any of the myriad of problems other folks have reported yet, but I can tell you that the first time anything crops up, I'll be on the phone to Shaw demanding they get me a DCX-3400.

Also, it helps to keep in mind that people very seldom go on the internet or forums to report "things are great! No complaints here!"
I exchanged an old Pace box for this new one (with the expander) 2 weeks ago. For the first 4-5 days I had nothing but problems, but apparently there was a firmware update, and now it has been working fine.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know if Shaw is doing the free Centre Ice preview again this year?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Anyone know if Shaw is doing the free Centre Ice preview again this year?
It's free for everyone Oct 7th to 24th.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HOOT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
iggyntangs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For anyone w/ Shaw, do you know which receivers that they have will support this MPEG-4 format for the NHL-CI preview?

Any help would be appreciated. They're offering me a free PVR rental for a year and I'd like one that would support this preview.
iggyntangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

They couldn't tell you?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyntangs View Post
For anyone w/ Shaw, do you know which receivers that they have will support this MPEG-4 format for the NHL-CI preview?

Any help would be appreciated. They're offering me a free PVR rental for a year and I'd like one that would support this preview.
I believe the Motorola 3400 is the one they rent you. If you kick up a stink and threaten to go to telus, they will sell you a new one for 1/2 price, at least they did for me.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a free HDPVR when I threatened to move to Telus, and it's a DCX-3400 (i.e. the new model).
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote