Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #4821
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On a stanley cup contender backlund is no more than a complementary piece. This team needs to find talent in the farm system on ELC's i like the emergence of hathaway and janko. Even kulak to an extent. Backlund should be a 3rd line checking center on a SC winning team
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoughRiderRowdy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 12:16 AM   #4822
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Backlund is our second line. Removing him and replacing him with Bennett/Jankowski will not work towards the Flames' chance at being a contender in the next couple of seasons. If he has to be moved, then so be it, but I will be livid if he leaves as a Free agent without being replaced by an equal or better player.

I think we need to look around the league when considering Backlund's contract if we are intending on re-signing him. The Lucic/Eriksonn contracts (6x6) is easily what he deserves, and we know exactly the level of play were getting from him. He has atleast 3-4 years before his body breaks down and even then his biggest asset is his hockey IQ. This will be an interesting few months as this decision will have a huge impact on the team moving forward IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 01:46 AM   #4823
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Backlund is our second line. Removing him and replacing him with Bennett/Jankowski will not work towards the Flames' chance at being a contender in the next couple of seasons. If he has to be moved, then so be it, but I will be livid if he leaves as a Free agent without being replaced by an equal or better player.

I think we need to look around the league when considering Backlund's contract if we are intending on re-signing him. The Lucic/Eriksonn contracts (6x6) is easily what he deserves, and we know exactly the level of play were getting from him. He has atleast 3-4 years before his body breaks down and even then his biggest asset is his hockey IQ. This will be an interesting few months as this decision will have a huge impact on the team moving forward IMO.
What, are you his agent? Prior to signing with the Oil, Lucic had 151 career goals and 360 points, and he was a 6'3 233 lb wrecking ball. When he reaches free agency (at an age 9 months older than Lucic was), Backlund will be somewhere around 115 goals and 285 points, and he is 6'1 and 199 lb., known for his possession game but not toughness. I know being a centre carries a bit of a premium, but if the Lucic deal was and is viewed as a huge anchor for the Oilers, how much more would such a contract be for the Flames, for a player with only 2/3 of the production? Based on his recent drop-off in finishing, Backlund may already be approaching the back slope of his career in terms of production, and although he will still likely be a useful contributor for 3-4 years, why would it benefit the Flames to offer a 6-year contract, and at a salary comparable to Monahan's? Letting him leave for nothing would be preferable to having him be an anchor for the Flames in the latter years of his contract. If the club can't make a deal that works for both sides prior to the trade deadline, as much as I like Backlund, based on the club's poor post-season prospects this year, I would prefer to trade him. Treliving may be able to get a 1st, a top prospect and a complementary piece for him at the trade deadline, with Janko poised to take on his role in the future. Save the 6M to go toward a proper 1st line RW, an area where the club is clearly lacking at this time. I could accept 5M X 4 for Backlund, but offering him a Lucic-like deal, which is almost universally considered to be a disaster, would put the Flames back in cap hell.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #4824
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Anyone think Treliving is waiting to see how the Tavares situation unfolds before committing to Backlund? Would a GM risk losing his #2 Center just for the opportunity at luring a pending Superstar UFA?

If you let Backlund, Stajan, Versteeg, and Jagr walk this offseason, along with the buyout relief from Raymond, this team has no problem throwing 10M at Tavares and replacing the others from within our system (we've already seen them replaced this season).
Old 12-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #4825
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see the Flames trying to sign Tavres but I could see them trading for him if thrbislanders make a move and Backlund could be a piece that goes the other way (in addition to several other pieces)
Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #4826
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am a big Backlund fan ever since he led the rockets to the whl title but I am waning on 6 mil for him this year. He is a great complimentary player, maybe one of the best, but not a front line guy who wins games. Watching him this year at his probable peak as an Nhl player on pace for 50ish points I think he should get 4.5-5ish.

But ultimately it comes down to him and whether he wants to stay or go moreso than the dollars. The recent language Karlsson has been using gives us an idea of what happens when a guy gets that hardline mentality and surely Backlund gets more money on July 1 than he gets by re-signing early here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #4827
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think basically every GM is waiting to see how the Tavares and Karlsson situations unfold.

I would be happy to save the $6M a year Backlund is likely going to want, and moving some salary around (ie. trading one of our top5 d) and getting Tavares.

Tavares, Monahan, Jankowski, ?

That Center depth would make this team a front running contender in the west. To the point EE has made in his past few posts, signing backlund at a high price point is a questionable move, as it's buying into the current status quo. Going a different direction may provide options to try and improve the team (and the risk of actually getting worse of course).
Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #4828
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I would be happy to save the $6M a year Backlund is likely going to want, and moving some salary around (ie. trading one of our top5 d) and getting Tavares.

Tavares, Monahan, Jankowski
Wouldn't have to move anyone of significance out (with the exception of Backlund, who Tavares would be replacing).

OUT
Backlund 3.575
Stajan 3.125
Versteeg 1.750
Jagr 1.000
Lack .350 (buried)
Raymond 1.050 (buyout)
= 10.850M

IN
Tavares 10.000
Hathaway ~.850
Mangiapane .700
Hrivik ~.750
= $12.300M
Old 12-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #4829
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry, but Backlund continues to be one of the most dominant possession drivers in the league and is still by far the best on the Flames. He performs every role on this team that could be asked of him, and he does it extremely effectively. He has shown no signs of slowing down.

I don't usually say something like this, but if you don't think Backlund is worth 5x5, you have no idea what you are talking about.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #4830
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand wanting tavares, but I don't understand why tavares would want to come here.
It doesn't make much sense to me for the flames to be preparing for that possibility.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #4831
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Wouldn't have to move anyone of significance out (with the exception of Backlund, who Tavares would be replacing).

OUT
Backlund 3.575
Stajan 3.125
Versteeg 1.750
Jagr 1.000
Lack .350 (buried)
Raymond 1.050 (buyout)
= 10.850M

IN
Tavares 10.000
Hathaway ~.850
Mangiapane .700
Hrivik ~.750
= $12.300M
I'm pretty confident Brouwer gets a buyout in the offseason as well.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #4832
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

OUT
Backlund 3.575
Stajan 3.125
Versteeg 1.750
Jagr 1.000
Lack .350 (buried)
Raymond 1.050 (buyout)
= 10.850M

IN
Tavares 10.000
Hathaway ~.850
Mangiapane .700
Hrivik ~.750
= $12.300M
Tavares signing for 10M, let alone Tavares signing HERE for 10M is nothing but a pipe dream.

The market is going up, McDavid's deal set the bar - and he was an RFA.

Tavares will get above 10.5M, easily, on the market IF he goes to market, and I'd be surprised to see him pick Calgary. He's been buried in arena news in NYI for how long now? Would he really choose a city facing possible relocation (however unlikely) due to arena uncertainty?

I know nothing is certain...but having any dreams of Tavares signing here...whelp.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #4833
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
What, are you his agent? Prior to signing with the Oil, Lucic had 151 career goals and 360 points, and he was a 6'3 233 lb wrecking ball. When he reaches free agency (at an age 9 months older than Lucic was), Backlund will be somewhere around 115 goals and 285 points, and he is 6'1 and 199 lb., known for his possession game but not toughness. I know being a centre carries a bit of a premium, but if the Lucic deal was and is viewed as a huge anchor for the Oilers, how much more would such a contract be for the Flames, for a player with only 2/3 of the production? Based on his recent drop-off in finishing, Backlund may already be approaching the back slope of his career in terms of production, and although he will still likely be a useful contributor for 3-4 years, why would it benefit the Flames to offer a 6-year contract, and at a salary comparable to Monahan's? Letting him leave for nothing would be preferable to having him be an anchor for the Flames in the latter years of his contract. If the club can't make a deal that works for both sides prior to the trade deadline, as much as I like Backlund, based on the club's poor post-season prospects this year, I would prefer to trade him. Treliving may be able to get a 1st, a top prospect and a complementary piece for him at the trade deadline, with Janko poised to take on his role in the future. Save the 6M to go toward a proper 1st line RW, an area where the club is clearly lacking at this time. I could accept 5M X 4 for Backlund, but offering him a Lucic-like deal, which is almost universally considered to be a disaster, would put the Flames back in cap hell.
No I am not his agent, just a fan who's watched every season of his NHL career. Are you Lucic's agent? Most people could see that 6x6 for him would work out to be a bad deal in the long run for the Oil. Do you really think Lucic has more of an impact on his team than Backlund does to the Flames?

Also, do you expect Jankowski to jump into the role of a premier shut down centre one year into his career? Do you even want the Flames to make the playoffs? People need to forget the cap for a second and actually consider Backlunds worth to this team.

5x4 lol go home, I would love to hear your opinion on Brouwer.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #4834
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't think Calgary would be high on Tavares's list of preferable destinations. That's kind of a pipe dream as the only way the Flames could even move his needle is if they outbid all other offers like they did with Richards under Feaster. Typically players like this will prefer to play in a US market as if Karlsson ever hits free agency I can't see him signing with a Canadian team.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #4835
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
On a stanley cup contender backlund is no more than a complementary piece.
It's clear that there are 2 schools of thought on this point, with not much middle ground.

Backlund is a complimentary piece like Bolland was for the Chicago SC winning teams. ON a SC contender, guy like the old Bolland and Backlund are major forces.

Bolland took all the hard minutes against the other teams best players, allowing guys like Kane to run amuck.

Now Chicago let Bolland go after his 5 year contract because he'd became broken down, and only they seemed to understand that.

That certainly does support the proposition that Calgary needs to be cautious with Backlund if they see any slippage in his health/play. He does play hard minutes.

You remove Backlund from the team, and Monny immediately needs to take much tougher minutes, and there goes the scoring line IMO.

IMO, removing Backlund makes the Flames a much weaker team, and he'll be very hard, if not impossible, to replace.

That shut down center is becoming more and more important to a team advancing far into the playoffs.

Taveras playing for the Flames is pretty farfetched so I doubt that Treliving is making any decisions based on that possibility.

Sure there is always a chance, but it's somewhere between slim, fat and none.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #4836
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It's clear that there are 2 schools of thought on this point, with not much middle ground.

Backlund is a complimentary piece like Bolland was for the Chicago SC winning teams. ON a SC contender, guy like the old Bolland and Backlund are major forces.

Bolland took all the hard minutes against the other teams best players, allowing guys like Kane to run amuck.

Now Chicago let Bolland go after his 5 year contract because he'd became broken down, and only they seemed to understand that.

That certainly does support the proposition that Calgary needs to be cautious with Backlund if they see any slippage in his health/play. He does play hard minutes.

You remove Backlund from the team, and Monny immediately needs to take much tougher minutes, and there goes the scoring line IMO.

IMO, removing Backlund makes the Flames a much weaker team, and he'll be very hard, if not impossible, to replace.

That shut down center is becoming more and more important to a team advancing far into the playoffs.

Taveras playing for the Flames is pretty farfetched so I doubt that Treliving is making any decisions based on that possibility.

Sure there is always a chance, but it's somewhere between slim, fat and none.
Since the Flames aren't that team why overpay for a player that's more useful to a cup contender? There are a lot of posters here that think the coach is fine so that means the core of this team simply isn't good enough so if that's the case it's kind of silly to overpay to keep the core intact. The Capitals have done a fine job overcoming significant free agent losses this offseason and I wouldn't be surprised if they have more playoff success this season than past. Some times you simply have to double down with the younger players and existing core players on your roster rather than paying more for the horse that's been beaten to death. Not saying Backlund is part of the problem but he's not been part of the solution so it's my feeling a player or two (Brodie would be the other player) could not be moved out and the team may be better next season providing they don't botch the returns (which is entirely possible).
Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #4837
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I'm sorry, but Backlund continues to be one of the most dominant possession drivers in the league and is still by far the best on the Flames. He performs every role on this team that could be asked of him, and he does it extremely effectively. He has shown no signs of slowing down.

I don't usually say something like this, but if you don't think Backlund is worth 5x5, you have no idea what you are talking about.
5X5 would be fine by me. 6x6 though and you need to ship him out instead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #4838
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Since the Flames aren't that team why overpay for a player that's more useful to a cup contender?
I get your point, but I don't think we know the answer to that question yet.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #4839
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
5X5 would be fine by me. 6x6 though and you need to ship him out instead.
What about 5mil x 6 years?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #4840
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

I agree with you. But at the end of the day we still arent a stanley cup contender and i doubt we make the playoffs this year. Realistically he is a 3rd line checking center on a stanley cup winning team we cannot afford to pay him what he would get on the open market. I bet he signs a discount deal on a stanley cup contending team
Closed Thread