Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #3821
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

so we cant afford Backlund but can trade for a top line RW? Where would we get the cash to do that?
Backlund scores and plays D very well. He is invaluable to the Flames as a Selke style forward.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #3822
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

He means as a rental this year. The guys he mentioned are UFA's in the summer. Both Neal or Nash would be rental trigger men. In the off season both the rental and Backlund would walk
Old 11-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #3823
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
He means as a rental this year. The guys he mentioned are UFA's in the summer. Both Neal or Nash would be rental trigger men. In the off season both the rental and Backlund would walk
Not necessarily, but Backlund's cap-hit going forward could cause cap-complications that will alter how the team is structured. So with how the team is built right now, giving it one big-push this year could be fruitful.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #3824
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if we are only going to trade for a rental...and let Backlund go this year as a UFA, what happens next year? Cross our fingers we can infill with AHLers? Wouldnt that put this team back a year or two?
Nah I cant see that happening at all. Backlund is part of the core and will get re-signed.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #3825
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Flames were in on Kyle Turris?

https://t.co/aCB9EdzRgo
I assume Treliving heavily scouted him for the Coyotes so it makes sense.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #3826
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I wonder now if the Flames feel Backlunds next contract will not fit in the Flames plans moving forward.

Tkachuk is gonna have to get paid pretty quick here. If Jankowski has a great rookie season leading into the deadline he's gonna get a good chunk of cap space too.

I feel Backlund should be a flame for life but maybe the salary cap isn't going to allow it.

That's going to be Trelivings biggest obstacle at deadline day and into the off-season.
I suppose there's a realization that Backlund is in that 6x6 realm of next contract. The question had to be whether there are other centers out there who come with a similar sized contract that may be even better than backlund. One could argue Turris might be as good, or better.

There is no other clear cut #2 Center in the organization as early as next season. Bennett's likely a winger going forward, and let's see where Jankowski's progression takes him, but penciling him in as the #2 C on a playoff contending team is a risky proposition.

My take is that the flames will be investing $5-6M bucks on the #2 center. It's likely to be backlund, but it's their job to be keeping their eyes open on alternatives should quality ones present themselves.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #3827
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Backlund, to me should be a Flame until he retires. I love the way he has developed, what he does on and off the ice and for the team going forward is huge.

But I think his contract has to be handled very carefully if this team wants to be a contender for the next decade.

It is so easy to overpay a player like him, but also how do you quantify his abilities? Do you go all in on him like a Bergeron? I don't think he's as good.

Scoring has been identified as a weakness going into this season. Do you throw a ton of money at a guy like him, potentially signalling the departure of another?

Im so torn on what his value is in $.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #3828
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
Realistically, what could we get for stone in the draft? Assuming he has a good year on the power play.
I actually think Stone is better than Hamonic so no thanks.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #3829
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think Backlund is a 6x6 player. 1 50pt season does not get you what Turris and Little signed for both of whom have had multiple seasons over 50pts.

I also think Backlund really wants to be here and would sacrifice cap hit for term. I am holding out hope they can keep the cap hit under $5M per so Backs can slide back to the 3rd line spot in the later years of the contract and not be too overpaid. If it takes a 7 year deal to do it so be it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #3830
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 year 5.25 mill would be perfect - but when you consider we gave that same contract to Dennis Wideman and I think Backs will probably sign for 5 x 5.75
Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #3831
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
5 year 5.25 mill would be perfect - but when you consider we gave that same contract to Dennis Wideman and I think Backs will probably sign for 5 x 5.75
Previous mistakes don't translate to setting the bar.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #3832
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is essential to this team imo, his defensive ability makes him a prized asset and now that his scoring touch has substantially improved you cannot let someone this valuable leave at the prime of his career. He's an advanced stat god and can be put on the ice in any situation. He may not win the Selke but he has the ability to get close to it for sure. There are moves to be made to ensure that he's on this team for the next 4-6 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #3833
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Backlund is essential to this team imo, his defensive ability makes him a prized asset and now that his scoring touch has substantially improved you cannot let someone this valuable leave at the prime of his career. He's an advanced stat god and can be put on the ice in any situation. He may not win the Selke but he has the ability to get close to it for sure. There are moves to be made to ensure that he's on this team for the next 4-6 years.
Backlund is a valuable player but you also can't go Oiler and overpay him for those services either.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #3834
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if a 4 team trade was ever discussed.
Duchene to Ottawa, Turris to Calgary, Backlund to Nashville, Collection of picks/prospects to Colorado.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #3835
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I wonder if a 4 team trade was ever discussed.
Duchene to Ottawa, Turris to Calgary, Backlund to Nashville, Collection of picks/prospects to Colorado.
I would rather pay Backlund $6M a year than Turris if it came down to that.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #3836
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
i would rather pay backlund $6m a year than turris if it came down to that.
100%
Old 11-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #3837
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would rather pay Backlund $6M a year than Turris if it came down to that.
Agreed, definitely prefer Backlund.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #3838
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I wonder now if the Flames feel Backlunds next contract will not fit in the Flames plans moving forward.
I've always assumed the Flames braintrust had Bennett pegged as the #2 centre and Backlund out of the picture next season, which is why they were so stubborn with keeping Bennett at centre. Maybe they've changed their mind now that it's clear Bennett struggles at the position.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #3839
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does Backlund get Derek Stepan money? Steep price for the Flames.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #3840
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Does Backlund get Derek Stepan money? Steep price for the Flames.
Definitely not. Curious what your opinion is?

Closed Thread