Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2022, 10:34 AM   #1321
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is such a weird thread. If 'living on your knees' refers to prostitution, are the same people who are up in arms going to come to the aid of sex workers? Let's find out!
Old 08-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #1322
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

What?!?! That's you seeing that the thread is too "weird" and thinking "Yeah, this'll get it back on track".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #1323
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What?!?! That's you seeing that the thread is too "weird" and thinking "Yeah, this'll get it back on track".
Be nice. Harry just wants to talk about sex workers and, quite frankly, if he is approaching the discussion in good-faith we must entertain it. Or something like that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #1324
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
In Canada we don't actually have any good political parties to vote for, we just vote for the opposition to remove the current corrupt government and repeat.
You clearly aren’t speaking for all Canadians here
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #1325
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Out of curiosity Yoho, and I’m asking this without judgement on your views, why do you think that people who were upset about a lack of workplace rights that resulted in them losing their jobs due to vaccine mandates being legal under certain circumstances appear to be primarily supporting parties(CPC, PPC, UCP) or politicians(PP, Smith) that don’t want to actually legislate improvements to the rights of workers?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #1326
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread v5

The new wave of increased privatization appears to be upon us in Ontario. This seems to be happening in both medicine and education.

They have been limiting funding for healthcare (even not spending dollars from the federal government) and service has been suffering as a result. Understaffing of nurses has been the most talked about, but there have been other ramifications such as closing ERs, no ambulances available, etc.

So far, the Ford government approach has been
- contact to private business for nursing, at 2x-3x the cost
- refuse to rule out additional private healthcare
- limit funding for private education, but offer $225m for Parents (approx $100/student) for catch-up via tutoring

Even Mother Nature seems to be against Ford: swallowed a bee:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1558118860502474756
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #1327
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
In Canada we don't actually have any good political parties to vote for, we just vote for the opposition to remove the current corrupt government and repeat.
I would argue no country on earth has political parties that people would say are all good.

Unfortunately there will always be some type of corruption because politics truly does attract some of the worst most self serving people. Regardless of whether they are career politicians or “not apart of the establishment” they all have an interest other than their ours in some way or another.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #1328
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was it that got Yoho thrown in the sin bin? Just sharing crazy views?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #1329
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Didn’t realize he was sin binned, would any of the other supposed freedom fighters be willing to answer my question from post 1325?
Old 08-12-2022, 12:40 PM   #1330
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what the criteria for getting suspended on this site are anymore. The mods are much more tolerant of some stuff (ie personal attacks) than they used to be, but seem more likely to sanction posters for being ‘disruptive’ than before. So who knows.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #1331
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps 'Body of Work?'

Its just a binning, he might just need a couple days to calm down. It happens.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #1332
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If you think someone is acting in bad faith, what do you hope to achieve by engaging with them?

If we’re going to drum out everyone in the politics threads who post nothing but low-effort partisan tweets and links, that’ll be a very long list.
Sometimes I am genuinely curious on something they stated, bad faith or not.

Also, what is with this- because you can't engage with everyone you think acts poorly you shouldn't try at all?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:03 PM   #1333
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Out of curiosity Yoho, and I’m asking this without judgement on your views, why do you think that people who were upset about a lack of workplace rights that resulted in them losing their jobs due to vaccine mandates being legal under certain circumstances appear to be primarily supporting parties(CPC, PPC, UCP) or politicians(PP, Smith) that don’t want to actually legislate improvements to the rights of workers?
This did seem strange to me when it happened. Workers protest is usually the realm of the left, and here the left took a hardliners stance putting the vaccine mandate ahead of workers rights. It was a very gutsy maneuver considering future negotiations with any workers groups by the party.

When the right saw a divide, they jumped in. Which is fine. Except they didn't understand any of the issues pertaining to the protection of workers rights and instead got all fox newsy, which is all they knew to do. Totally off the rails at that point, as the original workers rights protest essentially died, with no one to defend it.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:07 PM   #1334
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Not that strange when you think of it as a matter of collective action vs. individual rights. Antivaxxers are scabs.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #1335
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Voted NDP in the last election didn’t you Azure?
I actually voted CPC because I felt O'Toole was a decent option.

The current NDP is a sellout and a joke.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #1336
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
This did seem strange to me when it happened. Workers protest is usually the realm of the left, and here the left took a hardliners stance putting the vaccine mandate ahead of workers rights. It was a very gutsy maneuver considering future negotiations with any workers groups by the party.
I think you may have failed to pick up on the subtle sarcasm in my post. This “protest” was never about workers rights. Your claim that the “left” put vaccine mandates over workers rights seems based on either misinformation or a lack of understanding of what rights workers actually have. You can’t put something ahead of someone’s rights if they don’t actually have the rights you’re claiming they do.

Quote:
When the right saw a divide, they jumped in. Which is fine. Except they didn't understand any of the issues pertaining to the protection of workers rights and instead got all fox newsy, which is all they knew to do. Totally off the rails at that point, as the original workers rights protest essentially died, with no one to defend it.
Again, it was never a workers rights protest. Heck, it wasn’t even a protest it was a straight up occupation. This was a concerted effort to rile up a number of frustrated groups of people under a false flag so that a handful of grifters could make some money, if they happened to get some restrictions lifted and/or Trudeau to resign it would have simply been a bonus.

Can we stop pretending right/left political sides are a real thing? (I swear it’s easy if you try) It must be confusing the hell out of people who are all of pro-choice, anti-labour, pro-public heathcare but still want a tax break.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #1337
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

The concept of “selling out” for a major 3rd place party is hilarious to me and people viewing it that way is a huge part of what’s wrong with politics today.

As a right winger, I get it, having the centre-left party collaborate with the left wing party is probably disappointing, but having parties actually work together is better for everyone so long as fringe parties (PPC, Green) aren’t gaining outsized influence.

If the Liberals and the Conservatives actually worked together on things, it’d be amazing, but there would of course be people complaining about selling out because they didn’t get exactly what they wanted, in the way they wanted it, or because they would’ve rather had nothing than make concessions. It’s just an entirely toxic way to approach politics.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #1338
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

I’m stunned lol.

But also curious as to why you consider the NDP a sellout but a party that is bought and paid for by corporations isn’t.

Going back to your previous point, I don’t think O’Toole made the party a viable option for a lot of people. I think if he would have actually taken meaningful steps to prove to people that the party had changed it could have been different though, problem is even as the party leader he’s not really calling the shots.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #1339
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Going back to your previous point, I don’t think O’Toole made the party a viable option for a lot of people. I think if he would have actually taken meaningful steps to prove to people that the party had changed it could have been different though, problem is even as the party leader he’s not really calling the shots.
I thought it was interesting and disappointing how clear it was that O’Toole had little control over the party. I think he was a good choice, but it was awkward trying to watch him play to the further right and annoying how often he would have to justify logical, moderate right wing policies to insane people on the right.

Part of me thinks he was booted too early. The other part of me thinks the party is so far gone and lost to the far right that it wouldn’t have mattered anyway.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #1340
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I’m stunned lol.

But also curious as to why you consider the NDP a sellout but a party that is bought and paid for by corporations isn’t.

I have no problem with the NDP works with the Liberals, but you work issue by issue. A defacto agreement to support everything in exchange for a 'dental plan' is a joke.

Also, will never vote for the NDP while they refuse to support oil & gas development in our country.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote