Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2024, 08:43 AM   #461
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope dead to me. We should boo him.

If he had said Boston, Colorado, LA, or any other team that would be fine. But saying the Oilers is unforgivable. His dad had an excuse, that was where he was born and lived, no excuse for Tij.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 08:49 AM   #462
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame his Iggy's mom. She still lives in Edmonton and we know there is something in the water. Nothing will cure that faster then being drafted by the Flames and being around their alumni. Plus McDavid will be an Oiler for one or 2 more years and then the landfills will be full of those orange pylon jerseys.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:45 AM   #463
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
We get stuck on labels
This draft is unique because of the high number of guys with top pairing potential
Which is a key piece. So it’s a great chance to get one
Franchise altering? I don’t know what that bar is
A #1 Dman, who can play in every situation and the other teams top players. He doesn't need to be 90 points Makar good.

It alters the franchise so now you don't have to go spend assets on trying to trade for one.

We traded a 1st and 2 2nds for Hamilton to be that guy.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:54 AM   #464
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I would argue this team needs a game changing skilled forward even more, the flames have a couple of young talented defensemen in the pipeline now but as hard as I try I can’t find a bluechip forward anywhere.
We have wingers that is the thing, we can't take someone just because of the last name and passing on the potential to plug a gaping hole.

We need more explosive forwards I agree, but we need a #1C and #1D and the only way to get them is through the draft. You can get wingers in the market.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:07 AM   #465
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

You are saying draft for position which is a terrible way to go.

You draft BPA based on your scouts compilations of viewing, making your list and getting the highest guy there when its your turn.....full stop.

Any other approach has a much greater chance of failing.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #466
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The Flames need a franchise changing defenceman. If one slips to our spot you take him, you can't take Tij because of the last name.

We are building a team here. You win with a #1C and #1D not a bunch of wingers which we are deep in. If Tij is the BPA at our spot take him.
We need a franchise changing:

Center
Dman
Winger.

Preferably multiples of both.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:14 AM   #467
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

You draft BPA based on your scouts compilations of viewing, making your list and getting the highest guy there when its your turn.....full stop.

I am not saying draft for position. I stated that if Iginla is the BPA when its our pick you take him.

What I am saying is that if we are picking 9 and Iginla is 11 on the list and one of the defenceman drop to 9 and we had them ranked higher, you can't pass on that him just because you want to take Tij because his last name is Iginla.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:17 AM   #468
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

The thing about taking BPA is the potential for bust is always lower. It's why I will never fault a team for taking a consensus BPA even if it's not a position of need. Picking the best player available is what good organizations do. Reaching for needs is more than not what bad organizations do.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:17 AM   #469
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Iginla just scored short-handed. It's being challenged for offside (looks good though on replay - officially a goal). He was going down the left side on a two on one, mad a nice toe drag around the D and was trying to pass it across for a tap in but the backchecker accidentally deflected it five hope on his own goalie when attempting to break up the pass.

Skilled play by Iginla for sure.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:20 AM   #470
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In the follow up powerplay (for the failed offside challenge) Iginla got two more scoring chances. He's having a good period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:27 AM   #471
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Iginla scores again on the powerplay. Gavin McKenna finds him in the slot on the powerplay with a perfect pass and Iggy Jr goes top corner glove on a one timer.

Canada looks incredible. Good crop of players.
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:32 AM   #472
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Iginla scores again on the powerplay. Gavin McKenna finds him in the slot on the powerplay with a perfect pass and Iggy Jr goes top corner glove on a one timer.

Canada looks incredible. Good crop of players.
How's Brunicke playing?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:34 AM   #473
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
How's Brunicke playing?
I haven't noticed him yet. There has been a lot of special teams to start the game. Unfortunately I have to stop watching for a bit. I'm recording and will keep an eye later on though.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:43 AM   #474
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tij will climb into the top 8 of consensus draft rankings by the time people do their final lists. Hope he drops to us.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:55 AM   #475
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tij is probably the second winger taken after Demidov.

I could see jackets, utah and senators all being interested in Tij.
Then there was that rumored interest from the habs.
Positionally, they all have some young depth in C and D.

Throw in the succes of the Tkachuk brothers and Doan.

I will not be supprised at all if he is gone by 9.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:59 AM   #476
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I got sick to my stomach when I heard that the Oilers were his favourite team. Like, your Dad is a Flames legend, and is an executive with the team right now. He couldn’t have just said, “I don’t have a favourite team”?

Screw him, move on, lol.
Sick to the stomach, lol. You guys are too sensitive. Players have favorite teams growing up for any number of reasons, they're kids. And the second they get drafted it doesn't matter anymore.

A guy named Jarome grew up loving the Oilers, now his banner hangs in the Saddledome.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 11:01 AM   #477
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

How similar are Tij and Coronato? Up until his stint with the Wranglers Coronato always had more goals than assists, and Tij seems to have the same pattern.

Coronato seems like a guy that can create his own shot and score, is Tij similar? The highlight packages show him usually creating his own goals.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:02 AM   #478
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Sick to the stomach, lol. You guys are too sensitive. Players have favorite teams growing up for any number of reasons, they're kids. And the second they get drafted it doesn't matter anymore.

A guy named Jarome grew up loving the Oilers, now his banner hangs in the Saddledome.
Ya, kids are not like they used to be. My kids and buddies are all pretty "gender fluid" with their favorites.

Also, what in the hell have the Flames done that is in the least bit compelling to lock in a 18 year old kid as a fan for life.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:05 AM   #479
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

He would have been what 5 or 6 when Jarome was traded. His formative years are all outside of Calgary.

Tij is a offensive player, and lots of kids grow up liking a certain player and follow that team.

I liked Aaron Rodgers so I followed the Packers, I wasn't a die hard Packer fan. Keyword is liked here.

The Flames don't have a Iginla on the team right now for anyone to grow up cheering for.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:10 AM   #480
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Ya, kids are not like they used to be. My kids and buddies are all pretty "gender fluid" with their favorites.

Also, what in the hell have the Flames done that is in the least bit compelling to lock in a 18 year old kid as a fan for life.
I'm surprised it's not the Bruins. But younger players are drawn to talent versus team structure etc. So when highlight reels are full of McDavid and Draisaitl, a teenager living in BC is going to be attracted to that team.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: