Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2023, 11:38 AM   #4381
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Sounds like the provincial government is trying to find another buyer to keep the talent/technology here. Sure hope so. Unless news articles were blowing it up a bit much, sounds like there were on to something with their plant based vaccines. And having a manufacturer in our own backyard is never a bad idea.
Even if the feds have to step in again with more money every effort should be made to keep that technology and manufacturing in Canada. That was supposed to be a long term solution to our sudden inability to acquire the medicines we needed.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:44 AM   #4382
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Simply raising wages is not getting to the heart of the problem.
Wages are not the solution. In fact they're the problem.

Medicine in Canada suffers from the same affliction that housing, dairy, and telecommunications do: there are people who have benefit from supply scarcity, and those people have managed to make the people who control the system do their bidding (by various means).

In the case of scarce medicine, the beneficiaries are the staff, who enjoy high salaries as a result of Canada not having enough doctors. We have roughly half as many doctors per capita as the EU and 2/3rds of the OECD average (source). We would be more efficient if we could increase the supply of staff and pay them less as a result.

That would suggest increasing med school places as a solution. However, there are a few problems. The first is keeping those doctors in Canada after we train them. The training would need to be tied to a significant contractual obligation. The second is harder to solve: the politicians that make the investment would be replaced by the time it pays off. It's just not a good policy on a four year timeline. We need to tell our potential leaders that we want to make the investment and will reward them for it even if won't pay off until the long term.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 12:23 PM   #4383
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I think we need to re-think how we deliver healthcare in our country.

Obviously, I have more experience with the Nova Scotia system and none with the Alberta but I'd assume they're relatively similar.

Also keep in mind I don't work in healthcare, so I may be way off base on these thoughts and am welcome to feedback.

1. Family Doctors. They should serve a similar purpose they do now. Basically be a physician to oversee you're overall health and be a constant for you.

2. Walk-in Clinics. These should be in every community, ideally staffed by Nurse Practitioners and some Doctors. Of whom, they are employees of the province. If you have the sniffles, an infection, need an antibiotic, etc. this is likely where you'd go. This fills the role of "need to see a doctor, it isn't an emergency, but I can't wait 3 weeks for a regular appointment with the family doc".

3. Walk-in clinic connected to but not part of ERs. Basically filling the same role but diverts those who go to the ER for a hangnail, or Rx for amoxicillin.

4. ERs function as it, but divert the mild cases to the Walkin Clinic in the hospital. Speed up those who need emergency care by not having to attend to those that a NP can see.

5. Increase Med School seats. Nova Scotia just announced a new medicine program for Cape Breton University. There's a lot of question marks about this announcement but on the surface it's a good thing and a start.

6. Make it easier for doctors to come into the country, especially Canadians that have been trained elsewhere. If you're from an accredited school, get them practicing at home.

I also think doctors that work full-time in provincial hospitals should be employees of the province, but I know that's more complicated than that I just don't know enough about it. Seems weird to me that a full-time ER doc is a private contractor.

If we want to take the business out of front-end healthcare we need to take it out of the back-end as well.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:30 PM   #4384
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
so what? Is this supposed to be a shot at the Liberals for "wasting" the money? It doesn't hit.

At the time with what we were going through with COVID and before the vaccines came out, I think the money was a fair spend. Especially as there was outrage at not having a home gown vaccine.
The landscape of vaccines has greatly changed since then.
i guess it is a backhanded dig on a couple of levels. it seems like it was yet another example of the government wildly spending cash on COVID, it also is another gift for PQ.

Bigger picture is yet another reason why governments should stay out of these types investments; however, if we did not invest, then some other government would have and as observed, it is a kick to canada's efforts to get a homegrown vax supply

hopefully, it can be sold and folks can keep their jobs, we get some return on investments and canada gets a homegrown supply option
Old 02-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #4385
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So incredible adults could actually continue to vote for this charade.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1622263781278498820
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:28 PM   #4386
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Um...are there even 7,100 Nurses even available to be hired?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 03:43 PM   #4387
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Um...are there even 7,100 Nurses even available to be hired?
I was gonna go with don’t provincial governments run their healthcare systems, but that too.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:59 PM   #4388
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I was gonna go with don’t provincial governments run their healthcare systems, but that too.
I just assumed it was Federal Health funds to be transferred to the Provinces but earmarked for Nursing employment.

You know...the whole hullaballoo about the Federal Government withholding Health Care funding because they want to disperse it with 'strings attached' and those strings are presumably that chunks of it has to be allocated to hiring Nurses and Alberta Smitty is stamping her feet and throwing a tantrum about not accepting filthy Federal money if they're going to tell her how to spend it?

All of that nonsense.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:16 PM   #4389
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I just assumed it was Federal Health funds to be transferred to the Provinces but earmarked for Nursing employment.

You know...the whole hullaballoo about the Federal Government withholding Health Care funding because they want to disperse it with 'strings attached' and those strings are presumably that chunks of it has to be allocated to hiring Nurses and Alberta Smitty is stamping her feet and throwing a tantrum about not accepting filthy Federal money if they're going to tell her how to spend it?

All of that nonsense.
I can't wait to hear the details tomorrow, and sadly I won't be surprised if it's actually reasonable and Smith is crying over nothing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #4390
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Was going to say the same. Unless they are military and maybe a few others I'm not aware of the feds have absolutely zero to do with hiring nurses.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #4391
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1622981326084120577

Some road bumps in Quebec for liberals.

Last edited by Yoho; 02-07-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #4392
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ it really seems like the PM is getting to his expiry date. Which make sense on several levels especially if he is really like morneau has seeming suggested (lots of control, his way etc) - but he has bene PM for a while now and hopefully voters are ready for a change
Old 02-07-2023, 10:11 AM   #4393
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wonder what the backlash is going to be with the NDP and Liberals voting down the Conservative bill on bail reform.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #4394
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yesterday i read a tweet where blacklock's reporter indicated that this lab was being built in the riding of a liberal MP - the minister of Innovation and Science or portfolio like that

would be interesting to get some insight into how many of these kinds of projects with government gifts are built in ridings of the ruling parties MP's over the last 20 years.

I'd assume the answer would not be surprising - but who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
quebec drug lab shutting down despite a $173 million dollar gift from the federal government - which maybe generated some constructions jobs while building the new plant - who knows

"In October 2020, before the vaccine was approved, the federal government penned a deal to buy up to 76 million doses of the drug, in addition to providing $173 million in funding to support the vaccine's development and the construction of a new Quebec City manufacturing plant."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...down-1.6258785
Old 02-07-2023, 10:19 AM   #4395
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wonder what the backlash is going to be with the NDP and Liberals voting down the Conservative bill on bail reform.
my twitter friend mark gerretsen tells me canada is not broken - so i guess there will be none and the Liberals will point to their stance on gun control legislation as crime prevention, along with their rent rebates, day care subsidies and other cash gifts

i expect Jagmeet to tweet about how the liberals and cons stand with their rich corporates friends and how the NDP will help the average Canadian
Old 02-07-2023, 10:26 AM   #4396
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1622981326084120577

Some road bumps in Quebec for liberals.
According to a U of Ottawa professor and other 'observers'. This headline seems pretty misleading.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:01 AM   #4397
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
yesterday i read a tweet where blacklock's reporter indicated that this lab was being built in the riding of a liberal MP - the minister of Innovation and Science or portfolio like that

would be interesting to get some insight into how many of these kinds of projects with government gifts are built in ridings of the ruling parties MP's over the last 20 years.

I'd assume the answer would not be surprising - but who knows
Well if a Blacklock's reporter says it, it must be true. Never mind the fact that the facility was announced in May of 2015, a time when the Liberals weren't in government and had only 7 seats in all of Quebec (all in the Montreal area). Or that the facility is located in the riding of Beauport—Limoilou which has been held by Bloc or Conservative MPs for the last decade and hasn't elected a Liberal in its history.

The 2020 funding was for an expansion to the under construction facility so it could produce COVID vaccines. The Strategic Innovation Fund (which is the program under which the facility expansion was funded) is normally a combination of loans and grants, and both of those tend to be conditional. So unless Innovation Canada significantly departed from their normal process, the grantee can't just not fulfill the project while keeping the money.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:07 AM   #4398
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh no, two yohos!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:55 AM   #4399
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus Christ. Can we have a separate thread for the brain rot from Blacklock and Rebel News?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 01:05 PM   #4400
Knut

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...deal-1.6740143

Quote:
Feds to hike Canada Health Transfer by five per cent a year, delivering billions of dollars in new funding
This is good. Hopefully it comes with conditions on what it can be used on.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote