Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2021, 11:16 PM   #161
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You know, I sense a lot of anger here but I see that sneaky compliment. I have a feeling a beautiful friendship is in our future.
Damn right, sugar.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #162
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Do you honestly think this? I'd like to think someone who could be as kind as you are being a foster parent wouldn't be that callous.
well since we're on the subject, as a foster parent I have been punched, slashed at with a knife, had several shotguns pointed at me (by cops) and had my house shot in a drive by, that's what I'm paid to deal with, cops in the US sign on to police a country where guns are legal, having a gun isnt any reason for the police to shoot anyone in a country where having a gun concealed on your person is legal.

the only reason a cop should shoot anyone is if they are having a gun pointed at them, that's the job they have chosen, would I be a cop in the US? probably not but that is no reason to give them carte blanche to shoot any one they want on the basis they might have a gun in a country where there are over 350 million legal guns
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:43 PM   #163
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
That's some impressive tap dancing!!!
Me dancing? I responded with my full opinion bunch of times and when I asked what crime threshold crosses into the death penalty, all I got was sentence responses to cherry picked lines and words attributed to me that I did not say.

At least I can stand in my opinion and explain it when challenged. You don't have to agree.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:09 AM   #164
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The police culture in the U.S. is clearly messed up. But being a cop is a much more dangerous job in the U.S. than in countries like the UK.

Between 2000 and 2014, 25 police officers were killed in the line of duty in the UK. In that period 2445 were killed in the U.S. Adjusted for the number of police in each country, it’s literally ten times more dangerous to be a cop in the U.S. than in the UK. And the pay is pretty much the same ($53k vs 38k GBP).
around 40 cops were shot and killed in 2019, they shot and killed around 1000 citizens in the same period,
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 12:36 AM   #165
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Is that starting wage for a police officer in the U.S.? The officer in this case has been on the force for ~5 years and makes a base salary of $72,510.

You couldn't pay me enough to do it though, especially in a city like Chicago.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:56 AM   #166
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
around 40 cops were shot and killed in 2019, they shot and killed around 1000 citizens in the same period,
Ok. But we were talking about the job and what they’re paid to do.

If the job of being a police officer was ten times more dangerous in the UK, and it still paid the same money, do you think that might affect the makeup of who chose to become police officers?

And if police in the UK were 130 times more likely to be killed by guns than they are currently, do you think that might change how they approach dangerous situations?

U.S. law enforcement clearly need better training and a change in culture. But as long as the U.S. has hundreds of millions of handguns in glove boxes, under seats, and stuffed into the pants of half the people in the country, policing in that country will be fundamentally different from policing anywhere else in the developed world.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:03 AM   #167
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Ok. But we were talking about the job and what they’re paid to do.

If the job of being a police officer was ten times more dangerous in the UK, and it still paid the same money, do you think that might affect the makeup of who chose to become police officers?

And if police in the UK were 130 times more likely to be killed by guns than they are currently, do you think that might change how they approach dangerous situations?

U.S. law enforcement clearly need better training and a change in culture. But as long as the U.S. has hundreds of millions of handguns in glove boxes, under seats, and stuffed into the pants of half the people in the country, policing in that country will be fundamentally different from policing anywhere else in the developed world.
Of course it is likely that part of the reason law enforcement is as dangerous as it is in the US because of their known reliance on shooting people and complete inability to de escalate any situation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 02:51 AM   #168
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Of course it is likely that part of the reason law enforcement is as dangerous as it is in the US because of their known reliance on shooting people and complete inability to de escalate any situation.
I know you've brought this line up before...and it's so true. Love it when you bring it up. Sad that it's been years since you first used it and nothing has changed.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:56 AM   #169
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth in the spirit of what Coach was getting at, but he made a huge blunder in suggesting an officer needs to be literally fired at to fire back which submarined his whole point and took the thread to where it is now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 04:57 AM   #170
jayswin

Exp:

Yes, there is so much room for improvement in how American police respond to citizens, often with a militarized, antagonistic approach that heightens tensions that creates poor responses and bad outcomes, and their insistence that shooting is an acceptable response to almost any threat towards them deadly or not.

But all that was lost with "they should't fire unless fired upon" creating the barrage of responses in defence of police and undermining the actual serious issue of militarized police forces in the US.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-16-2021 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:21 AM   #171
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Not how what works? The internet? You making a play for boss of arguing on the internet? Good luck man I don’t think you’re qualified but you can use me as a reference.

Normally people don’t have to “back up” commentary on what *is happening* in the thread at *that moment* which can be read by *literally anyone.* Hell one of the people even replied with a “oh hey you’re referring to me but you’re wrong, boy!” If PaperBagger can catch it I like your chances, too.

Maybe try giving the thread you’re in a read. This does not bode well for your boss of the internet application. Studies show a 78% reduction in success when applications don’t read the job description.
Uh huh.

LOL
Old 04-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #172
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
^^^ Is that starting wage for a police officer in the U.S.? The officer in this case has been on the force for ~5 years and makes a base salary of $72,510.

You couldn't pay me enough to do it though, especially in a city like Chicago.
Increase this pay, increase the training, and shorten the leash. Enough is enough.

The video of the black individual, who is actively serving the military, from the other day highlights one of the biggest issues. The man pleads, with his hands out the window, that he is legitimately scared to reach for his seatbelt.

“I’m scared”

What’s the cop say???? “YOU SHOULD BE”.

Are you ####ing kidding me? At no time should anybody be afraid of the police for a traffic stop. It’s unbelievable. That isn’t their job, but so many think they are judge jury and executioner. It’s horrifying.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 04-16-2021 at 06:35 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #173
jayswin

Exp:

^^^^^^^

But if they paid officers properly and spent enough on training then how could they afford their militarized police equipment/weapons and vehicle fleets that the US manufactures and then buys with police budgets with their citizens taxes?
Old 04-16-2021, 11:12 AM   #174
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Did the usual suspects say an unarmed kid should be killed by police? No, they didn't. No one said that. Thanks for the implication though, boy.

Did the usual suspects dump on someone for having a horrible idea that police must be in a position to die before they can defend themselves?

Yeah, we did.
No, WTF, it's the police who say they're always in harms way and in a position to die. This is how they try and justify shootings.

They want to be heroes. That's why they get into policing. Let them be heroes by accepting the enormous risk that comes with heroism. Let them put their lives on the line to save the lives of others, even those who might be unworthy.

If they're not ready to do that maybe they shouldn't be police officers. We don't need gun wielding anxiety cases pulling people over to have a healthy society. In fact we need that to not happen at all.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #175
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heard on the Smerconish radio show, quoting some study that appeared to have some legitimacy, that in the general population about 7% have sociopathic tendencies. In law enforcement the number rises to 40%. That's most of the problem right there. The raw material, pre-training for skills development, and indoctrination (into the law enforcement milieu with their reflexive tendency to lie about, and cover-up, lousy behaviour, plus the systemic problems brought by the union framework) needs to be far better.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #176
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Uh huh.

LOL
Do you even possess the ability to think critically anymore or do you just subsist off of information you gathered decades ago believing it all still to be true?
Old 04-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #177
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

y'all cops in this thread still proud to be a cop? If so, why and how?
Old 04-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #178
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Heard on the Smerconish radio show, quoting some study that appeared to have some legitimacy, that in the general population about 7% have sociopathic tendencies. In law enforcement the number rises to 40%. That's most of the problem right there. The raw material, pre-training for skills development, and indoctrination (into the law enforcement milieu with their reflexive tendency to lie about, and cover-up, lousy behaviour, plus the systemic problems brought by the union framework) needs to be far better.
They also recruit from the military where they have been trained to kill, not de-escalate.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #179
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
y'all cops in this thread still proud to be a cop? If so, why and how?
I don't think that's fair.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #180
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Do you even possess the ability to think critically anymore or do you just subsist off of information you gathered decades ago believing it all still to be true?
Are you capable of following the conversation or do you need a bouncy ball on a screen?