Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #61
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly I'm at the point where I'm not sure I want them in on Hall or Pietrangelo. Paying long term UFA money for guys that are almost 30 never seems to work out well.

I'd rather we go bargain shopping and the names above are guys that I thikn could fit a need.

Really the shopping list to me is just getting one of the RHD signed to a reasonable deal.
Maybe, but Hall and Pietrangelo aren't guys like Neal or the Brouwers of the NHL world. They're legit top end talents that still(likely) have a bunch more years of quality play. If one of them are actually willing to sign here(which is rare with top free agents), make it happen.

Last edited by JurassicTunga12; 09-29-2020 at 10:53 AM.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #62
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Maybe, but Hall and Pietrangelo aren't guys like Neal or the Brouwers of the NHL world. They're legit top end talents that still(likely) have a bunch more years of quality play.
I'd be okay with Pietrangelo since dmen tend to age a little better, and he's the type of guy whose skillset will probably age well.

I worry about Hall though. He's a guy where speed was a big part of his game, never had the best hockey iq, and he's had injury issues. Guys like that don't tend to age well and it's going to take a 7 year deal to get him.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #63
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
You're absolutely right there are extremely limited options, so in my mind don't pull a Troy Brouwer and go out and get an older RHS RW just for the sake of getting a RHS RW. It's not going to be worth it, bar none its a bad move.

Smith is going to be looking for a 3-5 year deal and currently makes 4.25M which means he's going to be expecting the same if not more. This is the type of contract the Flames simply cant afford.

Use current assets to address this via Trade/Draft etc.

Heck I'd rather give Gawdin a shot at RW and save the 4.25M+ because he's going to slot in as a 3rd/4th liner at best.
I'm unsure how this UFA market will play out but you are right, I would pass on Smith on that price tag and even 1 mil lower. I was hoping for a short term covid contract, but there will probably be other teams that will go after him as well and offer more.

it was really unfortunate that Czarnik didn't pan out for us (injuries / coaches / opportunity). he was young, had speed, RHS, decent advanced stats, and showed signs of breaking out when we signed him.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #64
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I think signing DeMelo could be a great move, but I'd prefer him in a 4/5 role. But him at maybe 3x3, would give us great death and he's good enough that Seattle might just go after him and not a prospect.
I agree he's best as a 4 but he looked great with Chabot and I think if they start to wind Gio down a little he's a guy who could help him on a second pair:

Hanifin/Andersson
Giordano/DeMelo
Valimaki/Pysyk? TVR?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #65
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I agree he's best as a 4 but he looked great with Chabot and I think if they start to wind Gio down a little he's a guy who could help him on a second pair:

Hanifin/Andersson
Giordano/DeMelo
Valimaki/Pysyk? TVR?
I thought Hainsey played with Chabot and Demelo was more of a 2nd/3rd pair guy with Borowiecki in Ottawa?

Anyways we need to sign a right side guy who will cost less than Brodie but the crop looks good this year which is re-assuring. Braun and Gudas stand out as other options

I think Yelesin gets a look and Valimaki might get tried on that side which he’s played before
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #66
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be okay with Pietrangelo since dmen tend to age a little better, and he's the type of guy whose skillset will probably age well.

I worry about Hall though. He's a guy where speed was a big part of his game, never had the best hockey iq, and he's had injury issues. Guys like that don't tend to age well and it's going to take a 7 year deal to get him.
Hall is 28.

We can only give him 7 years.

I can see him being more or less Taylor Hall for at least four or five of those years, and if we have a $9M player producing like a $5M one for the last two, oh well. So long as he’s producing something.

Hall is a star forward. Gamble on a star.

Don’t gamble on a guy who’s had a decent career and looking for his golden parachute.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #67
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I thought Hainsey played with Chabot and Demelo was more of a 2nd/3rd pair guy with Borowiecki in Ottawa?

Anyways we need to sign a right side guy who will cost less than Brodie but the crop looks good this year which is re-assuring. Braun and Gudas stand out as other options

I think Yelesin gets a look and Valimaki might get tried on that side which he’s played before
DeMelo was Chabot's most common partner in 2018-19 and his second-most common partner this year, behind, yes, big Ron

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/.../thomas-chabot

Old 09-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #68
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly I'm at the point where I'm not sure I want them in on Hall or Pietrangelo. Paying long term UFA money for guys that are almost 30 never seems to work out well.

I'd rather we go bargain shopping and the names above are guys that I thikn could fit a need.

Really the shopping list to me is just getting one of the RHD signed to a reasonable deal.
A question is whether the COVID situation may allow for relatively discounted contracts for the bigger stars too - it's hard to know how teams plan to deal with the uncertainty. But yeah, I like your list for players to target and hopefully score value contracts on.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #69
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Scored 144 goals over the last 7 seasons. Drives offensive play extremely well. I've seen Frolik comparisons but the difference to me is the Flames traded Frolik when he was 31, and Smith is 31 now.

He's a good player but I'm not sure if he's worth the contract he'll get. I'm scared he'll turn into a Brouwer.

I personally would prefer Namestnikov or Granlund.
Frolik wasn't traded to us, we signed him as a FA.

I checked Brouwer's numbers, and both you and Royle are correct, Smith looks like Brouwer number wise and age wise.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #70
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Frolik wasn't traded to us, we signed him as a FA.

I checked Brouwer's numbers, and both you and Royle are correct, Smith looks like Brouwer number wise and age wise.
I know. When the Flames got rid of Frolik he was 31. The Flames would be adding Smith when he's the same age.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #71
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I know. When the Flames got rid of Frolik he was 31. The Flames would be adding Smith when he's the same age.
ah gotcha. Sorry, bad reading on my part.
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #72
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Don't know if this would interest you or not but I can put this in spreadsheet for and host on my google drive and give you editing permissions
Yes please. Being able to group by position instead of color coding would make this easier to read.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #73
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yes please. Being able to group by position instead of color coding would make this easier to read.
I can do that, give me 20 minutes

Old 09-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #74
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dadonov would look fantastic as the other Top6 RW, and he would give the give the Flames another legitimate offensive threat to take some of the heat off Johnny. He's got a pretty good motor too that could hopefully rub off on Monahan.

I'm also a fan of Granlund as an option to round out the Top6. Solid all-around skill and a two-way player that can play C or RW. He'd look nice alongside Chucky and Backlund.

If Treliving can get one of those two and re-sign Brodie, he doesn't need to make any other big moves besides finding a new goalie coach (not that the Flames will have much cap space left anyways)

Last edited by boogerz; 09-29-2020 at 12:56 PM.
boogerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #75
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great job, as usual, Scorp. Excellent way to keep track of what is out there
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #76
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd re-sign Reider at the right (minimal) number.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #77
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ok I've updated all of the stats in the OP and added additional breakdowns by position so it's easier to keep track!

Let me know if you want me to make any more changes.

Man there are a lot of good RW free agents this year. Very few good LW.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #78
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me crazy, but I think taking a gamble on Bobby Ryan might work well. This isn't based on any advanced stats or anything; I've just always really liked him, and he seems like a great locker room/community guy.
He'll be cheaper too (although I'd be surprised if he's itching to play in another Canadian market).
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #79
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Re Hall

I'd say its acceptable if he isn't the highest paid player.

Aka, no higher than Tkachuk's current cap hit.

If thats the case then sign me up.

If he costs more than that to land it first of all looks bad on paper since he would be complementary to the core yet earning the most and considering he's not a 2-way guy you don't want to overspend for just one side of the game.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #80
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Pavelski and Perry were UFA signings that worked out for the Stars.

UFA shopping is dangerous. But you probably need to take chances to compete for a Cup. Look what Hudler did for the development of Johnny and Monahan.
You just need to look at the vets that historically do big things in big ganes.

Perry and Pavelski were definitely factors on the teans they came from.

That means looking past strictly their regular season stats and a bit more at leadership and intangibles as well.

Like others have mentioned, I think Bobby Ryan is one of those guys. He was definitely being wasted on rebuilding Sens club. I think he would be a good bet to score some big goals on a playoff team's third line.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote