Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 03:46 PM   #1681
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frigging sad man.. Calgary = florida now.. and it's not good
Old 05-30-2023, 03:48 PM   #1682
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
And this isn't bluster...some of them have been planning for a while in case this came to pass.
Where are they going?
Old 05-30-2023, 03:49 PM   #1683
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Wait, does this mean the Flames are in the SCF?!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 03:50 PM   #1684
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I've never understood why people get worked up about equalization. The only reason why Albertans pay more and receive less is because Alberta is (unfairly) blessed with far more natural resources than any other province. That's the whole point of the program: to remedy the unfair distribution of natural resources in Canada.
That's pretty simplistic and incorrect.

The only reason? You would have been more correct to state that Albertans pay more not because they have more resources, but because they exploit those resources and sell them. Quebec has plenty of untapped natural resources simply because equalization incentivizes them to not exploit their natural resources.

Additionally, not all natural resources are treated equally in the equalization formula, and some have-not provinces sell hydro power at artificially low prices to maintain higher equalization payments.

Taxes also play into the equalization formula. Increasing corporate tax rates to minimize development of resources artificially moves a province further into have-not status.

I know I'm far from an expert in this field, but I do know that equalization payments are not decided on one simple variable of how many resources a province has available to exploit. I also know you know that as well, so I'm not sure if you were just aiming for brevity.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:56 PM   #1685
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I think it's time to accept that, regardless of policy and opposition, the NDP brand is simply too toxic to voters in Alberta. It's time that a new party be formed that better aligns with the views of the electorate, without the NDP-branded baggage.

Something that captures the changing views and demographics of the province, while simultaneously acknowledging the broader feelings of the voter base.

Something progressive, yet conservative.

If there's anyone here that can think of a suitable name that's both on-brand and available, I'd love to hear it.
You mean move the NDP platform more to the right on the political spectrum?

I’m curious what you think the changing views of the demographics are and what the broader feeling of the voter base is.

You want the NDP to adopt conservative values?

No offence but we need to be distancing from bigotry, not moving closer.

There is no negotiating with the other side. We are the good people, they are not. End of. There is no good face of fascism and bigotry.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:57 PM   #1686
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

So is the solution to become a have-not province? Or just not complain about it.
I know a lot of conservatives complain about equalization and it's stupid. It's like complaining about paying more taxes. I wish I paid a million dollars in taxes.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:00 PM   #1687
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's time to accept that, regardless of policy and opposition, the NDP brand is simply too toxic to voters in Alberta. It's time that a new party be formed that better aligns with the views of the electorate, without the NDP-branded baggage.

Something that captures the changing views and demographics of the province, while simultaneously acknowledging the broader feelings of the voter base.

Something progressive, yet conservative.

If there's anyone here that can think of a suitable name that's both on-brand and available, I'd love to hear it.
Sounds like you’re describing the Progressive Conservatives under Lougheed.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #1688
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Considering the softball of an opportunity they were lobbed, I thought the NDP did a pretty crappy job marketing themselves in this election.

They basically spent their entire time obsessed with Smith, and spent almost nothing on promoting their own platform or vision for the future. Attacking Smith was a legitimate tactic, but the myopic focus on it came across as kinda obsessive and insecure (the complete saturation of airwaves and cheeseball scary 90s video-effects didn't help). Danielle Smith is a known entity. How many minds are you actually going to sway at this stage? You either care or you don't. Was it really worth throwing 99% of your budget at it?

If you're a party looking to present yourself as the professional/sane choice to the moderates of our province...well, then consider demonstrating those qualities. Or at the very least tell them your vision for the future. Or clear up misunderstandings/myths about your party. They NDP did almost none of that in their advertising...they just focused on Smith. In the end they seemed to do a decent job of converting people in the cities, so perhaps their strategy worked just fine, but I think considering the context, they could've done better.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this premise that the NDP was overly negative or attacked Smith too much. Fact is, unless the leader of the UCP is considered a non-starter or severely unpalatable, or there are two competing right-wing parties, there just aren't enough centrist voters in Alberta to win an election.

If conservatives find the leader of the conservative party even the smallest amount acceptable, they won't consider swapping their vote. Or at least, not enough to sway a province that has voted for whichever party has conservative in their name since 1972, aside from that one time where there were two conservative parties.

The path to victory for the NDP was to convince enough right-wing voters that the conservative party was simply a non-starter with Smith at the helm. If you don't get past that first hurdle, you have lost the election without any doubt. These aren't mild conservatives or lean-right centrists. This is a population who has voted for a right-wing majority without fail for over fifty years.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:03 PM   #1689
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're a party looking to present yourself as the professional/sane choice to the moderates of our province...well, then consider demonstrating those qualities.
Exactly. As I posted earlier, the relentless barrage of attacks ads nudged my wife from firmly in the NDP camp to considering not voting.

For the voters who don’t follow politics closely (which is most of them), what they learned during the election campaign is that the NDP really, really, REALLY hate Danielle Smith. As for what positive policy proposals they were offering that appealed to moderates…. I’m sure you could find them if you poked around the NDP website for a while.

Analysts and pollsters feel the same - the negativity hurt the NDP campaign.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:08 PM   #1690
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Sounds like you’re describing the Progressive Conservatives under Lougheed.
That would be a great name!

To be honest, I was chuckling to myself reading some of the comments and thought how funny would it be for the NDP to re-brand as the Progressive Conservatives... They already have the platform that fits and now, after the election, truly believe a major (if not the) issue is branding and the toxicity of the NDP name in Alberta, whether fair or not.

Rewind the clock and if it's the newly formed "Progressive Conservative" party running on essentially the same platform as the NDP vs. Danielle Smith's UCPs yesterday, I honestly think the results are different... Though, maybe I'm just naive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #1691
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Please dont lock this thread, it has been very entertaining today

Old 05-30-2023, 04:13 PM   #1692
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Alternatives For Alberta (AFA)

Old 05-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #1693
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Exactly. As I posted earlier, the relentless barrage of attacks ads nudged my wife from firmly in the NDP camp to considering not voting.

For the voters who don’t follow politics closely (which is most of them), what they learned during the election campaign is that the NDP really, really, REALLY hate Danielle Smith. As for what positive policy proposals they were offering that appealed to moderates…. I’m sure you could find them if you poked around the NDP website for a while.

Analysts and pollsters feel the same - the negativity hurt the NDP campaign.
Except this is such a cop out. One side gets held to a higher standard of decorum, and it is apparently their own fault.

Every UCP ad was an attack ad on the NDP as well. The NDP didn't have any monopoly on attacking. And as for policy, major UCP points like the pension and provincial police force were ignored by the Premier, yet she will stand there and say she now has a mandate for those policies.

Its like saying that its ok for the UCP to play in the dirt, but if the NDP do it then I won't support them.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 04:18 PM   #1694
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
That's pretty simplistic and incorrect.

The only reason? You would have been more correct to state that Albertans pay more not because they have more resources, but because they exploit those resources and sell them. Quebec has plenty of untapped natural resources simply because equalization incentivizes them to not exploit their natural resources.

Additionally, not all natural resources are treated equally in the equalization formula, and some have-not provinces sell hydro power at artificially low prices to maintain higher equalization payments.

Taxes also play into the equalization formula. Increasing corporate tax rates to minimize development of resources artificially moves a province further into have-not status.

I know I'm far from an expert in this field, but I do know that equalization payments are not decided on one simple variable of how many resources a province has available to exploit. I also know you know that as well, so I'm not sure if you were just aiming for brevity.
What you have also highlighted is that Alberta's (UCP) own strategy of lowering the corporate tax rate is in fact contributing to larger equalization payments.

Not only did Kenney write the current equalization formula, but when he was in power he took steps that materially increase the amount of equalization payments we ultimately owe to Canada as a province.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #1695
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would be a great name!

To be honest, I was chuckling to myself reading some of the comments and thought how funny would it be for the NDP to re-brand as the Progressive Conservatives... They already have the platform that fits and now, after the election, truly believe a major (if not the) issue is branding and the toxicity of the NDP name in Alberta, whether fair or not.

Rewind the clock and if it's the newly formed "Progressive Conservative" party running on essentially the same platform as the NDP vs. Danielle Smith's UCPs yesterday, I honestly think the results are different... Though, maybe I'm just naive.
Look no further for evidence then the fact that the third highest grossing party in the election was.... the GREEN PARTY.
The NDP moved so far to centre that they abandoned one of their key vote bases to do it, environmentalists. It wouldn't have made a difference in the election, but it goes to show you that there are unhappy left leaning voters out there too.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:24 PM   #1696
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
The path to victory for the NDP was to convince enough right-wing voters that the conservative party was simply a non-starter with Smith at the helm. If you don't get past that first hurdle, you have lost the election without any doubt. These aren't mild conservatives or lean-right centrists. This is a population who has voted for a right-wing majority without fail for over fifty years.
I'm just not sure you're going to ever really get to the established right wing voters, without demonstrating to them they have a viable alternative at the same time. If you don't, all you get is people circling the wagons.

Like I said, it's not like I think hammering on Smith was a bad strategy...but it seemed to be their ONLY strategy. Instead of throwing out the same attack ad 100 times a day, maybe mix a few positive/platform messages in there too, so people know what you actually stand for.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:27 PM   #1697
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
More like Alberta = Florida (minus everything nice about Florida)

Calgary went 50%+ NDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Except this is such a cop out. One side gets held to a higher standard of decorum, and it is apparently their own fault.

Every UCP ad was an attack ad on the NDP as well. The NDP didn't have any monopoly on attacking. And as for policy, major UCP points like the pension and provincial police force were ignored by the Premier, yet she will stand there and say she now has a mandate for those policies.

Its like saying that its ok for the UCP to play in the dirt, but if the NDP do it then I won't support them.
UCP candidates said some terrible things about people and lied constantly

NDP candidates pointed out that UCP candidates said some terrible things about people and lied constantly

Conclusion?

NDP mean
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 04:29 PM   #1698
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we're going to be Florida can we at least have Florida liquor prices?
Old 05-30-2023, 04:30 PM   #1699
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Where are they going?
Who knows? They need to start acting on the plans, applying for jobs, looking for somewhere to live, etc. I've heard BC, Manitoba, and the Maritimes specifically thrown around as areas more extensively researched. Ultimately they're looking for somewhere that won't be actively hostile to them while meeting their personal needs, and I doubt there's a perfect solution. They've certainly given Alberta a good honest try to this point and had little support.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:30 PM   #1700
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
If we're going to be Florida can we at least have Florida liquor prices?
MINUS EVERYTHING NICE about Florida
Closed Thread