Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #561
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Out of curiosity, what would be the point of EQ'ing the sub? Are LFE effects recorded with different levels at different frequencies? Could a person actually tell the difference in levels beween 0-80 HZ?
I guess I worded that poorly; it enables the receiver to include the LFE in its EQ and room calculations.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #562
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^ Oh, I see. I wouldn't think that would be such a big deal since LFE is supposed to be non-directional. I know that on my VSX-1021 the Advanced MCACC sets up the crossover,and the sub levels do get set by MCACC. Also, it does record the distance of the sub from the receiver, but I'm not sure that it records its direction. When you look at the MCACC bar graphs and the speaker tables for EQ and standing wave control in the iControlAV2 app, it doesn't record direction for any of the speakers. It clearly doesn't EQ the sub across frequencies as the list of speakers under the Acoustic EQ setting doesnt even include the sub. It does do an overall level adjustment for the sub though as mentioned above.

I recently set up my new home theatre in my basement and was researching sub location and the general consensus from those not unreasonably anal seemed to be that sub location was more of an art than a science.

I'm not sure if sub location's what you're talking about when you mention room calculations. Otherwise, I think MCACC does take the sub into account since it does calculate the sub's distance and levels it. Is there more information out there about this distinction between Audessey and MCACC that you can point me to? I am curious about it. I was pretty impressed by what the Advanced MCACC does compared to my old Pioneer VSX-521 that this one replaced.

Last edited by onetwo_threefour; 03-16-2013 at 10:52 PM.
onetwo_threefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #563
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hmm... Was just doing a bit of my own reading and apparently there are some pretty wacky frequency response curves on subs such that people say they can discern a difference when a sub is EQ'd. I'd probably have to hear it to believe it, but I doubt if I'm enough of an audiophile to discern a difference. Anyway, sounds like the subwoofer EQ may indeed be valuable to someone who would notice that sort of thing.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #564
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's aliiiiiiiive!!!... ahem.

I've moved into a new place recently, and I've decided I'm not too keen on having my rear and side channels running through cable raceways on the floor or along the wall, so I've begun looking into wireless rear speaker kits, and the one I seem to keep coming back to is the Rocketfish Wireless Rear Speaker Kit.

Has anyone used it or any other wireless speaker kits and can you provide any feedback on their performance, and just how much the 2.4GHz wireless usage screws with WiFi? (I'm on 5 GHz 802.11n for most of my devices, but some do still use the 2.4GHz band).
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #565
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Has anyone used it or any other wireless speaker kits and can you provide any feedback on their performance, and just how much the 2.4GHz wireless usage screws with WiFi? (I'm on 5 GHz 802.11n for most of my devices, but some do still use the 2.4GHz band).
I've got one, but never used it for speakers. It's powering my chairs right now. No interference with wi-fi though (although I wouldn't be able to tell you what band my devices are on).
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #566
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your chairs? As in gaming chairs with speakers in them?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #567
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Your chairs? As in gaming chairs with speakers in them?
As in the theater chairs he scammed off me with bass shakers in the seats.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #568
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

So what's the best way to put a stereo outside on my deck for my hot tub? I'm thinking something under the overhang on my house, but am torn on what to put...

Not adding to my existing stereo I don't think, something an iPod can plug into.

Last edited by stang; 07-24-2013 at 04:06 PM.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #569
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Portable Bluetooth speaker I personally feel are the best options now a days Logitech makes good ones
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #570
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had wireless speakers but got tired of the constant interferance and cutting in and out.

Ended up buying from here... www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #571
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not looking for wireless speakers, but a wireless speaker kit.

I already have cube speakers for my rear and side surrounds, and I want to hook them up using wireless receivers.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #572
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's aliiiiiiiive!!!... ahem.

I've moved into a new place recently, and I've decided I'm not too keen on having my rear and side channels running through cable raceways on the floor or along the wall, so I've begun looking into wireless rear speaker kits, and the one I seem to keep coming back to is the Rocketfish Wireless Rear Speaker Kit.

I have one of those rocketfish kits that I have been using for my home theatre for a couple years now. They work great, no interference on the 2.4 GHz band at all. I had to get them because the wife vetoed any cables running across the room. One piece is in my theatre cabinet and the other is tucked behind my chairs. You still have to run speaker line to the rears but its only from the base unit if this is the same one I have. Anyways, never had a problem with it interfering with wireless or anything else.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #573
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sounds cool in theory, I'd be a little concerned about latency if I was using them in a 5 or 7 speaker setup however I'd imaging rear speakers are a bit less noticeable if the latency is sub 10ms or so. Just pick it up from a place that has a good return policy and you should be good to go.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #574
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
So what's the best way to put a stereo outside on my deck for my hot tub? I'm thinking something under the overhang on my house, but am torn on what to put...

Not adding to my existing stereo I don't think, something an iPod can plug into.
I really like the Boom Urchin
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #575
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks 1_Flames_Fan, that's awesome to hear they work well for you. Might go pick up two pairs myself... one for the SL and RL and another for the SR and RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
Sounds cool in theory, I'd be a little concerned about latency if I was using them in a 5 or 7 speaker setup however I'd imaging rear speakers are a bit less noticeable if the latency is sub 10ms or so. Just pick it up from a place that has a good return policy and you should be good to go.
Everything I've read about them pegs the latency at ~15 ms, but they say you can usually compensate for that delay through your receiver (I haven't bothered looking yet in my 2112's settings). Then again, not sure how big of a deal 15 ms latency in rear channels is.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #576
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks 1_Flames_Fan, that's awesome to hear they work well for you. Might go pick up two pairs myself... one for the SL and RL and another for the SR and RR.

Everything I've read about them pegs the latency at ~15 ms, but they say you can usually compensate for that delay through your receiver (I haven't bothered looking yet in my 2112's settings). Then again, not sure how big of a deal 15 ms latency in rear channels is.
Yea, my gut says not noticeable at all. If they were playing voice consecutively with the center channel that would be one of the more noticeable things I could imagine. Having a 1/4 second delay on voice would sound like an echo and would drive me nuts. That said, I only use my tower speakers for music and it's a non-factor for movies etc as voice comes out of the center channel so I think everything should work out very well.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #577
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering if anybody has experience with LG TVs? Any advantages/disadvantages that would make buying an LG TV a dealbreaker?
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #578
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Often LG TVs have IPS panels. These are good panels but don't have the contrast of MVA panels. Better viewing angles and color though and often better response times and lag times.

I've owned a couple of LGs and have had no problems.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #579
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at finalizing my in wall speakers for my new basement home theatre and had a question about the centre speaker.

Quick info:

- I'll be buying all the speakers through Monoprice
- Plan is to have a projector and screen

I've been reading that a traditional horizontal center channel with Mid-Tweet-Mid all in line is a poor choice and a vertical speaker is better suited.

With that in mind, would it be a better choice to simply run the exact same speaker as my main L+R speakers as the centre?

Last edited by Madman; 07-29-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #580
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
With that in mind, would it be a better choice to simply run the exact same speaker as my main L+R speakers as the centre?

If you are not going with a horizontal centre, then I think using the same speaker for the front 3 is fine.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post: