Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2024, 07:08 PM   #5261
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
I hate the idea of signing DeBrusk. He feels like a Brouwer type add.
To me, the best course of action is to keep selling off the 30 year old players for picks, prospects and under utilized assets.
Also, use cap space as a way to add talent that has soured on their current teams.
Keep looking for the Bennett/Forsling type players. Even if the Flames take a gamble on a Kotkaniemi or Dubois and it busts, they will have the cap to make those mistakes. But the gamble could pay off.
… add talent that comes with sweeteners.

I hate the idea of signing FAs because Flames are in a position to help cap crunch teams for a price.

Signing Debrusk is a waste. Even if we trade Mangiapane. There has to be a Debrusk type player on a stupid contract some team regrets signing that we could take in exchange for picks and prospects.

I know we need to ice a real NHL calibre team but I’ll be massively disappointed if Connie signs Debrusk.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:10 PM   #5262
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Nothing imminent but I’m still told we’ve seen the last of Markstrom in a flames jersey.
It’s been quiet, but hoping Florida can finish it off tonight and the real offseason can begin.
I fully expect him to start game one of the season.

I’ve seen this show before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 10:22 PM   #5263
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I fully expect him to start game one of the season.

I’ve seen this show before.
This show? It's only been one episode - the trade deadline, where something allegedly happened with someone higher up in the Flames not agreeing to something Conroy was trying to do.

I'm sure he'll be gone before the draft this month.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 10:42 PM   #5264
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Debrusk better than Mangiapane? Debatable.

But Debrusk plus the return we would get for Mangiapane is definitely better than Mangiapane
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 10:44 PM   #5265
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

But Debrusk plus the return we would get for Mangiapane is definitely better than Mangiapane
2nd and a 3rd? Is that about right?
Old 06-15-2024, 10:44 PM   #5266
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Yep, definitely down with the logic as long as Debrusk is 3 or 4 years.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:46 PM   #5267
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Signing players to help now only hurts long term, that's the 'why' in why we shouldn't.
Flames arent going to try to be bad
Old 06-15-2024, 11:36 PM   #5268
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Nah. They’ll just be bad
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 01:03 AM   #5269
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No thanks on Debrusk. Not sure why we need to overpay another middle 6 guy at this point.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 05:27 AM   #5270
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm indifferent to Debrusk signing with the Flames.

Decent enough player and as of right now Sharangovich, Kuzmenko and Mangiapane are all going into the last year of their contracts. It's a very realistic scenario that all three could be traded for futures by the TDL next year.

Need some NHLers around.

The Flames currently only have 4 players signed to 3 years or more and none of the young guys who are or will be RFAs look like they will command big contracts.

Yeah, you don't want to waste that kind of cap flexibility but like I said, Debrusk is decent enough IMO

And if this rumor turns out to be false, oh well.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 08:01 AM   #5271
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
No thanks on Debrusk. Not sure why we need to overpay another middle 6 guy at this point.
Why is overpay the automatic assumption here? And what is overpayment for a top 9 winger going to look like in 3 years when the cap is ~$100M?

I think there’s a lot of knee jerk reaction going on. I think Debrusk would be fine, so long as some of the current wingers on the roster are moved to continue to allow for young players to integrate into the lineup over the next 2-3 years.

It wouldn’t surprise me that the Flames are getting asked about Coleman. It also wouldn’t surprise me if Coleman wouldn’t entertain a move to a more competitive team at some point. That along with what sounds like the likelihood of Mangiapanne moving this year and a decent chance Kuzmenko as well, I’m not sure why the Flames shouldn’t at least kick tires with Debrusk. The Flames have always valued solid pros and, just my opinion, you need those guys during a rebuild/retool. Debrusk is also young enough to probably be able to play good mins and contribute once the Flames turn the corner if things go as planned.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 08:40 AM   #5272
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Why is overpay the automatic assumption here? And what is overpayment for a top 9 winger going to look like in 3 years when the cap is ~$100M?

I think there’s a lot of knee jerk reaction going on. I think Debrusk would be fine, so long as some of the current wingers on the roster are moved to continue to allow for young players to integrate into the lineup over the next 2-3 years.

It wouldn’t surprise me that the Flames are getting asked about Coleman. It also wouldn’t surprise me if Coleman wouldn’t entertain a move to a more competitive team at some point. That along with what sounds like the likelihood of Mangiapanne moving this year and a decent chance Kuzmenko as well, I’m not sure why the Flames shouldn’t at least kick tires with Debrusk. The Flames have always valued solid pros and, just my opinion, you need those guys during a rebuild/retool. Debrusk is also young enough to probably be able to play good mins and contribute once the Flames turn the corner if things go as planned.
The main reason I don't want the Flames to sign Debrusk is because I see cap space as an asset for a rebuilding team(see MTL). I would rather use the cap space to either buy low on a younger underperforming asset, or take on a player with a sweetner(Orlov maybe?). At the same time, I don't see how signing Debrusk would generate any picks for the Flames in a future trade.

Another asset I'd be okay with the Flames targetting is a past his prime star. I don't think that a guy like Debrusk will help teach the kids anything that will significantly alter their skill set... The way Jagr did(protecting the puck), or the way Gio did with the development of Andersson. Maybe Pavelski, Stamkos, or P. Kane could be good adds on a 1-2 year contracts.

Finally, the math for top 9 winger spots doesn't quite workout:
Huberdeau, Coleman, Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Mangiapane, Zary(?), Pospisil, Pelletier, and Coronato.

They all need top 9 spots, so unless we move 2-3 of Mangiapane, Coleman, Sharangovich, and Kuzmenko there's no space for Debrusk.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 08:54 AM   #5273
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
The main reason I don't want the Flames to sign Debrusk is because I see cap space as an asset for a rebuilding team(see MTL). I would rather use the cap space to either buy low on a younger underperforming asset, or take on a player with a sweetner(Orlov maybe?). At the same time, I don't see how signing Debrusk would generate any picks for the Flames in a future trade.

Another asset I'd be okay with the Flames targetting is a past his prime star. I don't think that a guy like Debrusk will help teach the kids anything that will significantly alter their skill set... The way Jagr did(protecting the puck), or the way Gio did with the development of Andersson. Maybe Pavelski, Stamkos, or P. Kane could be good adds on a 1-2 year contracts.

Finally, the math for top 9 winger spots doesn't quite workout:
Huberdeau, Coleman, Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Mangiapane, Zary(?), Pospisil, Pelletier, and Coronato.

They all need top 9 spots, so unless we move 2-3 of Mangiapane, Coleman, Sharangovich, and Kuzmenko there's no space for Debrusk.
I’m not sure I agree with anything in here.

The Flames should have plenty of cap space over the next handful of seasons. It seems more than likely both Markstrom and Mangiapanne will be moved either before the season or during it. You can put Kuzmenko in there as wel. Perhaps Sharangovich is extended, but what if he doesn’t want to? Are there any players right now that you can foresee requiring a huge increase on their next deal? I don’t. The Flames will have space. How much do they need and how much do you think teams are going to want to offload bad contracts? I doubt, very much, that’s the model the Flames will follw. I’m sure they’ll make some shrewd moves like they did in acquiring Sharangovich and Kuzmenko but I doubt they’re intent on becoming the Arizona Coyotes of the league.

I also don’t follow your point about how Debrusk wouldn’t be able to help teach the younger players.how can you possibly know? Only past their prime superstars can do that? So, Weegar, Kadri, Backlund don’t have much to offer there, I suppose? On any winning team I’d bet you don’t need to look hard to find a few solid vets to that helped mentor young players and they don’t need to be former superstars. Also, I think there’s a slim to zero chance P.Kane is ever a Flame. Pavelski has already said he’s done. Stamkos? If people are concerned about overpaying Debrusk, what do you think it’s going to take to lure Stamkos to Calgary? 7x11? I’ll take Debrusk.

I think it’s a pretty safe bet to think at least two, maybe all of, Kuzmenko, Mangiapanne, Coleman, Sharangovich are moved before the TDL.

Last edited by TOfan; 06-16-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:08 AM   #5274
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Debrusk is great if the Flames move all their other wingers for assets .

I doubt the Flames do that . We probably try to dress the team with the most 40 pt guys in the NHL and think that will translate into wins/ playoffs !

Run out 4 second / third lines and think we can win with depth
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 09:14 AM   #5275
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

I doubt the Flames do that . We probably try to dress the team with the most 40 pt guys in the NHL and think that will translate into wins/ playoffs !

Or they put a team on the ice to play hockey that does not have any superstars because they are in year one of their rebuild and have not drafted them yet. Does anyone think Verbeek signed Killorn because he thought he would win at any realistic point in the contract? Or did he sign him because he still needed to ice a team.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 09:22 AM   #5276
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Or they put a team on the ice to play hockey that does not have any superstars because they are in year one of their rebuild and have not drafted them yet. Does anyone think Verbeek signed Killorn because he thought he would win at any realistic point in the contract? Or did he sign him because he still needed to ice a team.
Or he was signed, to provide leadership to a really young group of players.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:24 AM   #5277
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

I think it’s nearly a foregone conclusion that Mang is gone by the TDL. I think it’s likely Kuzmenko is too. I wouldn’t be surprised if Coleman is getting asked about by other teams and if the flames can get a good return I think they would entertain it especially if behind the seems Coleman is saying he’d like to be on a competitive team. Doubly so if they have a player, like Debrisk, to fill the void. Sharangovich is curious to me as he seems to fit and may want to stay but on the other hand Conroy has stated his preference to not let good players walk. So, if he’s not extended by the deadline, fans should expect him to be moved.

In other words, I think there is room for Debrusk. Maybe not at the start of the season but I’d bet by the TDL, there will be.
Old 06-16-2024, 10:55 AM   #5278
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I suspect you’re probably right, and that it may be a complete waste of a season because of it. Going through a full season attempting to be competitive only to miss the playoffs or get destroyed in the first round, and then not have your own 1st round pick is the chef’s kiss of incompetence.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2024, 11:13 AM   #5279
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I suspect you’re probably right, and that it may be a complete waste of a season because of it. Going through a full season attempting to be competitive only to miss the playoffs or get destroyed in the first round, and then not have your own 1st round pick is the chef’s kiss of incompetence.
lol do you really think there is anything they can do in the offseason that will give them a better roster than last year?
Mangiapane wants out, Markstrom wants out, and who knows on Kuzmenko and Sharangovich.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 11:19 AM   #5280
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
lol do you really think there is anything they can do in the offseason that will give them a better roster than last year?
Mangiapane wants out, Markstrom wants out, and who knows on Kuzmenko and Sharangovich.
But keep in mind it's a critical rebuilding year in terms of where we finish because of the terms of the Monahan trade. If we bring in players to try to be competitive and everyone goes "lol, don't worry we won't be any good with a few roster adds" and those roster adds get us to the 11th OA pick instead of 10th OA....we literally lose that pick to Montreal.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good