Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2019, 12:23 AM   #21
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Pretty sad when Leaf fans are louder than our own fans.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:37 AM   #22
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
I really would think that after a while, people would cheer for the home town heroes.
This makes absolutely no sense. If you moved to Edmonton would you cheer for them after a while?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #23
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Pretty sad when Leaf fans are louder than our own fans.
To be fair our fans are pretty weak. The Dome seldom has energy

Last edited by Dube; 03-05-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:00 AM   #24
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. If you moved to Edmonton would you cheer for them after a while?
I was attending NAIT in Edmonton during Gretzky's first two years in the NHL. I graduated on a Friday morning and by the same evening I had cleaned out my apartment and was on my way back home to Calgary.

Those were the worst 2 years of my life! I had to endure the endless talk about how great a sports city Edmonton was and how bad Calgary was.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:15 AM   #25
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
A little bit. Most nights it really is wall to wall red in there, great atmosphere, and a solid fan base. I really would think that after a while, people would cheer for the home town heroes. It's gross to see so many opposition fans. And why hand on to the Leafs? Maybe Seinfeld was right, we are just loyal to clothes.
It isnt always the case with respect to the home town team. For example, I am a Flames fan only cause I started cheering for them as a kid. It literally has nothing to do with the city for me. If the Flames were to move, my allegiance would still be with the Flames in another city, even if Calgary was to get a new team.

Being a Calgary resident 80 percent of the time, the Flames are the only local team I cheer for or care about. Hence the place where I live has nothing to do with who I hope to win.

As far as the Leaf fans, they do definitely pack the stands, but its fun. Just like when the Habs are in town. I think it definitely is true about the migration of easterners. Plus Calgary fans are typically quiet and reserved compared to other fan bases. So its not a surprise to see the Leaf chants drown out the dome.

It will always be that way for some ticket holders(selling their tickets on premium games). They can do whatever they want, as its not my business what anyone else does with their tickets, sell them or attend, I dont care.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 AM   #26
Futzee
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I don't think it's so crazy. Tons of Calgarians grew up elsewhere and came here for work. Tons of Canadians grew up without a local team and adopted 'Canada's team' (the barf Leafs). So you end up with a bunch of hardcore Leafs fans in Calgary. I think it makes the game more fun when there is a rowdy crowd. Way better than a 2/3 full Arizona game where there is no passion from anyone.
Futzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:46 AM   #27
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Division rivals are a different category..if anything, living in the city of your team's rivals and being subjected to their fans' hate of your team regularly just makes you hate them even more. That was certainly my experience after living in both Vancouver and Edmonton in the past 15 years.

Moving to a city of a random team in a different conference is a different story; I'm sure I would develop a soft spot for them after a while and pull for them, if I lived there long enough and established deep roots in that city. Not as much as my own team, but I could see why you'd become somewhat of a fan it you lived there long enough. Especially if that team went on a deep run, getting swept up in all that civic euphoria and fun.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #28
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A little off topic of the flames but I met a guy on a plane once who was from Sothern Ontario and had season tickets to the Buffalo Sabers. He said he recouped half of his ticket cost by selling 2 of the Toronto games.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #29
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you start watching hockey in the 70's, there's two teams in Canada (we don't count the Canucks). Some of us keep cheering for those teams.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #30
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yeah, lots of people do. They aren't fans, they're bandwagon jumpers. I know some people who moved up to Big Sweatpant after being in Calgary forever, having Flames jerseys, the whole thing. Suddenly a couple of seasons ago, their socials are full of Go Oilers Go bull#### when they actually didn't suck for 10 consecutive minutes and won a playoff series.

They were confused when I got stabby and then countered back with the whole "cheer for the Canadian team" thing. First of all, I'd rather lose a leg than see Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal ever win the cup. Second of all, see first of all.

This whole Yay Canada thing is such BS. Once the Flames are out, I'll pick a team, but it is generally US based, although Winnipeg could potentially be tolerated. But any of those others, frig off.

To end the story, I muted them on my social media feeds, and haven't seen them in person since. I stand by these choices to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
You are kidding, right? Have you ever been to the ACC? Worst atmosphere in Canada. All corporate dip####s, no energy at all. I'll take the Dome anyday.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #31
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was at the game and I was taken back at how ugly the leafs fans were. I even commented to my girlfriend that "the leafs jerseys were completely unnecessary - you could tell the leaf fans apart by their looks". They had lots of crooked or missing teeth, ugly faces, terrible make-up, obesity issues, or awful facial hair. Woof.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #32
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are annoying but I'd respect then less if they were converted Flames fans.

As a Flames can living in Vancouver, nothing is more annoying than a "fan" who changes colours because they're in a new city.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #33
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Alberta was rat-free, yet there must have been 14,000 of them in the dome last night.
BloodFetish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #34
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
Old 03-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #35
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Time to ban ticket sales to Leafs fans
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #36
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weird thing is I don't actually know any Leafs fans among my acquaintances or at the various places I've worked. I've seen loads of Oilers, Canucks, even Habs paraphernalia around the office and in the neighbourhood. But never any Leafs. They must keep a low profile except when they attend games at the Dome.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bridge and Tunnel Crowd.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #38
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
NHL's Riders fans.
Nah, that was Vancouver fans when they were winning.

In both examples, major cases of little man syndrome.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #39
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Nah, that was Vancouver fans when they were winning.

In both examples, major cases of little man syndrome.
Van fans disappear when they suck. We won't see them around for the next 10 years.

Leaf and Rider fans will never disappear like cockroaches.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #40
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

People saying Calgary fans are quiet and the dome is always quiet, have you watched a home Leafs game? That place is a morgue. Being an away fan gives you more energy as well, and with a bunch of other fans around you it amplifies it.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrennyBaller For This Useful Post: