Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2022, 08:28 AM   #2521
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
The White Lotus is a weird show. I appreciated the cinematogrophy and it was interesting for the most part, I just don't know what the viewer is supposed to take away from it. I found its point to be very enigmatic.
I think the point was, everyone is horrible.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:43 AM   #2522
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The White Lotus is a weird show. I appreciated the cinematogrophy and it was interesting for the most part, I just don't know what the viewer is supposed to take away from it. I found its point to be very enigmatic.
I laughed hard, I cringed harder, and I wanted to book my next Hawaiian vacation so it hit all the marks for me. I also immediately wanted a sequel but then realized that type of weird surprise magic probably can't be done twice in a row.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #2523
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Am I really the only one here watching this?

Sebastian Stan
Seth Rogen
Nick Offerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I paid zero attention to this simply due to the subject matter, but seeing those names attached and finally watching the trailer I'll have to check it out now
Like Hemi, the subject matter didn't interest me or my wife.

That being said We will give it a go.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #2524
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's subjective of course, but I took this away from the show:

Spoiler!
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #2525
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
It's subjective of course, but I took this away from the show:

Spoiler!
Yeah, I considered those points as well, but something about it doesn't sit right with me.

Spoiler!

I think we'll watch the second season considering it's an anthology, but hope that the message is a little clearer.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:41 AM   #2526
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
So it turns out that most of the shows I enjoy have some form of military in it. Whether it be CIA, Special Ops, Navy, etc. shows such as 24, The Unit, Homeland and just recently Jack Reacher. I've watched quite a few but what are some other shows you people recommend in this category?

Also speaking of The Unit is that show on any steaming device?
If you haven't seen the BBC shows Line of Duty (6 seasons) or Bodyguard are great
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #2527
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I considered those points as well, but something about it doesn't sit right with me.

Spoiler!

I think we'll watch the second season considering it's an anthology, but hope that the message is a little clearer.
I think looking for a clear message in White Lotus is misguided. It’s prestige drama (or dramedy). The point is that people are complex and we’re all compromised. Don’t expect good guys and bad guys and clear moral messages.

Spoiler!
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #2528
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Well even with Tanya and Belinda...

Spoiler!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #2529
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We're a few episodes into season 1 of Yellowjackets and so far so good. Really enjoying the ride so far.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:59 PM   #2530
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So it turns out that most of the shows I enjoy have some form of military in it. Whether it be CIA, Special Ops, Navy, etc. shows such as 24, The Unit, Homeland and just recently Jack Reacher. I've watched quite a few but what are some other shows you people recommend in this category?

Obviously you previously watched Jack Ryan on Prime, as well as Reacher?
The Americans might fit. It's a pretty great series.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:33 PM   #2531
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I believe Burn Notice is on Disney+. It is awesome.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:58 PM   #2532
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Night Manager is excellent.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 11:07 PM   #2533
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Finally got around to a Station Eleven and loved it. I’m a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories and they’ve been done to death recently but this felt really fresh. It was nice to see a little light in the doom and gloom of the genre.
That's what it was for me. Too many of these shows in this genre are tired takes on "everything's ****ed, we're all animals again and the strong destroy the weak". It's become so bleak.

This truly captured a nice take on a post apocalyptic society with kindness, trust, collaboration and support amongst "rivals", and importance of art and meaning in life regardless of hardship around the human race that is remaining etc.

Really cool show.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:10 PM   #2534
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think the point was, everyone is horrible.
There's so many shows like this lately and I just can't get into them. I don't understand the appeal, as connecting with characters in a positive way is huge for me. Maybe I'm in the minority, I guess?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:50 AM   #2535
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
There's so many shows like this lately and I just can't get into them. I don't understand the appeal, as connecting with characters in a positive way is huge for me. Maybe I'm in the minority, I guess?
I definitely missed the positive connections in White Lotus, but picked up on it early on. Then it was just a fascination with how horrible they could actually be. But ya, definitely not a theme I'd like to follow often.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #2536
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I hope the popularity of shows like Ted Lasso let producers know that there's an audience for programming that can tell great stories but still be happy.

I love a good depressing, intelligent crime show but it's great to balance that out with something positive that is still story driven (not garage reality TV).
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #2537
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is a mini-series, but Generation Kill

There isn't another show/movie that I have seen that reflects the modern military like this show.

It is so on point on so many universal military truths.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #2538
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I hope the popularity of shows like Ted Lasso let producers know that there's an audience for programming that can tell great stories but still be happy.

I love a good depressing, intelligent crime show but it's great to balance that out with something positive that is still story driven (not garage reality TV).
I think the generalization "horrible people doing horrible things" is being applied too broadly here. two of my favorite series that I picked up last year (Succession and White Lotus), I consider the characters flawed, spoiled, out of touch, outwardly happy/self-assured, inwardly miserable. but even though I'm not like these people I still relate to them because they interact with their world believably and consistently.

might be just me but I don't find either show depressing in the slightest. I'd put both of them in the dark comedy category. maybe it's how the little/common folk generally don't get much justice or vengeance that bugs a lot of people? that's sort of just real life, but I can see the desire to find more of an escape from that.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 01:59 PM   #2539
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I laughed my ass off watching White Lotus and Succession. Whereas I found shows like Mindhunter and True Detective to be a total downer, even though they’re about justice and have admirable protagonists. I couldn’t get through more than a few episodes. I hear Mare of Easttown is really good, but I’m in no rush to watch it either.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:44 PM   #2540
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, I laughed my ass off watching White Lotus and Succession. Whereas I found shows like Mindhunter and True Detective to be a total downer, even though they’re about justice and have admirable protagonists. I couldn’t get through more than a few episodes. I hear Mare of Easttown is really good, but I’m in no rush to watch it either.
Yeah, I was the same way with White Lotus. Really enjoyed it and the humour helped levitate some of the depressing themes. I still need to watch Succession.

I was definitely speaking more to shows like Mindhunter and True Detective. I really enjoy both but they can be pretty draining. TD, specifically is just a downer but really well done. It's also the one that seemed to set off the rest of genre for well made crime dramas that are also just really dark and depressing. Mare of Easttown could be in there. The Outsider (though supernatural). The Killing. The Sinner. Broadchurch. Cardinal. Even Ozark, Bloodline, etc.

They're all great shows but you need to sprinkle in some positivity between series or you end up thinking the world is a hell hole.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote