Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2021, 12:36 AM   #41
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus those track marks
Old 06-20-2021, 12:36 AM   #42
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Nick don’t remember him, so Mike is going to play him at Russian roulette.

He’s gonna get him to remember by putting three bullets in the gun. Though that would be a little Hollywood
Nope. That did not happen.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:38 AM   #43
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stevie’s legless wheelchair is flawless
Old 06-20-2021, 12:48 AM   #44
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to commend this movie for how much dialogue it doesn’t have. Every actor has to bring so much to their performance beyond simply speaking the words.

And, credits.

This movie is too long, and I understand why they don’t make them like this anymore, but boy howdy do they not make ‘em like this anymore.

All the stars.

Goodnight.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #45
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Deer Hunter would be the same if they cut a bunch of it out. Wouldn't have the Gravitas. Understanding life of their community, who's where in social standing, family dynamics, the horror of being a pow, coming home when no one else really did.

DeNero finally Understanding why the Marine who came home was the way he was when they were young and innocent and excited to go to war at the wedding.

Easily one of my favorite films of all time. With all the extra length and everything. Fun thread to read through.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #46
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
“Awe, Michael, I’m so happy to see you! I just kinda wish you were also someone else.”
Does she? If you paid attention in that boring wedding scene it’s pretty clear there has always been sparks between Michael and Linda.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I don't think Deer Hunter would be the same if they cut a bunch of it out. Wouldn't have the Gravitas. Understanding life of their community, who's where in social standing, family dynamics, the horror of being a pow, coming home when no one else really did.

DeNero finally Understanding why the Marine who came home was the way he was when they were young and innocent and excited to go to war at the wedding.

Easily one of my favorite films of all time. With all the extra length and everything. Fun thread to read through.

I don’t begrudge any movie willing to take its time and set up who these people are and why we should care. This film does it masterfully. It just doesn’t need to take a full hour - you could easily convey all the emotion needed in 30 minutes.

I’ll still take this over “establishing shot of main character” >>> “three lines to establish a personality” >>> “off and running into story”

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Does she? If you paid attention in that boring wedding scene it’s pretty clear there has always been sparks between Michael and Linda.
I think Linda is attracted to both of them, as any vibrant young woman in a small town would be.

But when Mike comes back, after their initial hug fest, she says “I had hoped you were Nick,” or “had Nick with you” or something to that extent.

She likes De Niro, and will settle for him, but she really wants to know what happened to Natalie Wood.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:22 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was brilliant. Shine on you crazy diamond. Shine on!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 03:00 AM   #49
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

An amazing movie. The only thing that bothered the hell out of me was the deer hunting scene.

I guess you can drive a couple hours outside the Pennsylvania rust belt and end up hunting European Red Stag's in the Rocky Mountains.
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #50
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a great movie, but Michael Cimino was a complete nutbar. He fabricated claims about his military service, and his depiction of the Vietnam War is wild fantasy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...wisted-910101/

Cimino’s rampaging ego bankrupted a studio with the debacle of Heaven’s Gate, which slammed the door on the American film auteur movement of the 70s.

https://www.cbr.com/heavens-gate-dis...age-directors/

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-22-2021 at 01:15 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #51
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^There really isn’t a better decade for movies than the 70s.

The height of the blockbuster was the 90s, when CGI was good enough to augment but not replace models and practical effects, but high point of cinematic art is, well, the age of the auteurs.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #52
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally got around to watching it. I enjoyed it as there's something about older films as they just don't make movies like this anymore. As with older films it shows its age as the gunfire scenes are pretty bad but it's easy to ignore that kind of stuff and focus on a pretty interesting story about a group of friends. Also there's some nostalgia in remembering what things were like in simpler times when comradery was more important as we didn't have all the electronic means to get in touch with one another. One thing for sure is that De Niro is totally on point. He carries the film as I actually found a lot of the acting around him kind of weak compared to today's standards.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #53
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I finally got around to watching it. I enjoyed it as there's something about older films as they just don't make movies like this anymore. As with older films it shows its age as the gunfire scenes are pretty bad but it's easy to ignore that kind of stuff and focus on a pretty interesting story about a group of friends. One thing for sure is that De Niro is totally on point. He carries the film as I actually found a lot of the acting around him kind of weak compared to today's standards.
not fair of me, but sometimes I cringe at what DeNiro and Pacino have acted in during the twilight of their careers, compared to what they used to do.

but then I remember a job is a job. I'm sure the pay cheques are nice, especially as the good roles dried up as they got older.

was it Michael Caine that has a quote along the line of the movie he was in was crap, but the house it paid for was very nice?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Jaws IV I think is the Michael Caine movie.

Anyone thinking Pacino and DeNiro have gone down hill in their choices, check out Bruce Willis' IMDB page. Yikes. Then google it and read about how why he does it. Basically he's an ####### and no one likes him. By taking on bit parts in B movies he gets his payday and the producers get to put his face on the poster, even if he's only in the movie for like 5 minutes. Most of the time all of his scenes are filmed in one day lol.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #55
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do these guys really need money that badly? Retiring is also an option.

I just checked, Bruce is worth $250 million. Why wouldn't you just take the occasional fun job, instead of drowning in feces?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #56
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

I just checked, Bruce is worth $250 million. Why wouldn't you just take the occasional fun job, instead of drowning in feces?
The desire for wealth can become an unfillable hole.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #57
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I see it as them lending their name to push young movie makers up in the world.

Any one of those bad movies these grandpa's are in wouldn't even get a look if their names weren't attached to them. Its also work, for people who have worked their entire lives I don't think retirement is really a thought. And acting is a pretty easy gig to work into your 80s.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #58
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I see it as them lending their name to push young movie makers up in the world.

Any one of those bad movies these grandpa's are in wouldn't even get a look if their names weren't attached to them. Its also work, for people who have worked their entire lives I don't think retirement is really a thought. And acting is a pretty easy gig to work into your 80s.
But the movies are garbage, so then you just encourage garbage. If he was doing more film fest type stuff, I totally get that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #59
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some could be like Nic Cage and are so broke, they have to take any role.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #60
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

For Nic Cage, I understand it is less about money and more about loving to continue working, even if the projects are subpar. Or maybe it is money. Or both.

For Bruce, he knows he's doing crap and doesn't care. No big studio will pay his requested salary and therefore he has to settle for crappy second rate stuff.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote