Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #1541
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Before you call for the Flames to bring up another rookie D this year, think long and hard about the next expansion draft ramifications.
IMO you ice the best roster and don't let Seattle get in your head. McPhee really preyed on some teams that were willing to give them multiple pieces to protect 1.

Having too many good players to protect them all is a good problem to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #1542
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Before you call for the Flames to bring up another rookie D this year, think long and hard about the next expansion draft ramifications.
Only if it becomes a factor. And if it does, awesome! Trade one!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #1543
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
My comment is based on if a player has earned a spot, you do not place them in the AHL based on contract status. Your oilers reference makes no sense.
The Oilers comment is in regards to bringing up a player earlier than needed which may stunt his development as well as burn a year of his elc when it isn’t warranted, and cause the team to lose a valuable D in the expansion draft when all of these things could be avoided by letting Valimaki season in the A for a year. My point was that is something the oilers would do as it is illogical.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #1544
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

1st and 2nd year pros were exempt from having to protect for Vegas' expansion draft, so I presume that'd be the same for Seattle's, no?

We'd just have to make sure we're meeting the exposure requirements, which I don't think would be difficult to do. (Brouwer, Frolik, whichever 3rd/4th liner UFA we sign this summer on forward... Brodie/Stone on D, Rittich & Gilles for goalies)

Last edited by Icon; 06-29-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #1545
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, you ice the best team. But you also have to remember that you need to ice the best team next year too. And the year after.

If Valimaki shows himself to be better - not as good, better - than the others, then you play him. Period.

However, if it is lateral - if they are similar - you put Valimaki in the A to get more experience, and therefore also protect your assets better for the next expansion draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #1546
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
The Oilers comment is in regards to bringing up a player earlier than needed which may stunt his development as well as burn a year of his elc when it isn’t warranted, and cause the team to lose a valuable D in the expansion draft when all of these things could be avoided by letting Valimaki season in the A for a year. My point was that is something the oilers would do as it is illogical.
Well yeah, if it isn’t warranted I would agree.

If the Flames, of all teams, play a recently drafted defenseman, without a year of pro hockey under his belt, then it was because the player gave them no choice and earned it.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #1547
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Edit: much better answer below.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 06-29-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #1548
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good idea but Valimaki's season will count towards the expansion if he plays in the AHL.

Guys with two years or less of pro experience were protected last time. Pro, not NHL.

So AHL vs NHL seasons make no difference towards the expansion draft.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #1549
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
IMO you ice the best roster and don't let Seattle get in your head. McPhee really preyed on some teams that were willing to give them multiple pieces to protect 1.

Having too many good players to protect them all is a good problem to have.
I agree, it is a great problem to have. My point is that if you can avoid the problem, with no detriment to the team this year, then why would you paint yourself into a corner when you don’t have to? The flames have all the D they need right now. They actually have too many which is why they may trade one and sign a lower tier D to fill the press box with.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #1550
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Eklund speculating Karlsson + Ryan to Vegas talks are opening up again.

I’m not so much wanting Karlsson but what would it take for you to consider taking on Ryan’s contract ?

Stone + Ryan — What has to go back for you to consider that trade ?
Old 06-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #1551
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

I’m not so much wanting Karlsson but what would it take for you to consider taking on Ryan’s contract ?

Not just EK, Mike Kelly from TSN/NHL Network has Karlsson/Ryan going to Vegas "sooner rather than later".
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:47 AM   #1552
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Good idea but Valimaki's season will count towards the expansion if he plays in the AHL.

Guys with two years or less of pro experience were protected last time. Pro, not NHL.

So AHL vs NHL seasons make no difference towards the expansion draft.
You’re right. I re-read the rule. I had read it as NHL experience so that point is moot. However, not burning a year of his elc while gaining experience in the A is still extremely valid.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #1553
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I hope Lindholm gets a chance to prove he can be a second scoring center for this team.

A second line of Tkachuk - Lindholm - Maroon might be able to put up some points.
I kind of doubt that he will. Outside of Lindholm we have no established top two line RWs. Who are your top two line RWs? Unless something major changes it looks like Lindholm has to be one of them and then the other is likely Tkachuk or Bennett on their off wing.

We don’t need Lindholm at centre with Monahan, Backlund and Janko. We desperately need him on RW barring major changes
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #1554
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’re right. I re-read the rule. I had read it as NHL experience so that point is moot. However, not burning a year of his elc while gaining experience in the A is still extremely valid.
It will definitely burn a year of his ELC to play in the AHL.

Players drafted out of Europe under the age of 20 can play a season in the AHL and have their contract slide.

Valimaki was drafted out of the CHL though so he wouldn't have been eligible.

But besides that he is turning 20 before the season starts so this season will count against his ELC regardless.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #1555
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Players drafted out of Europe under the age of 20 can play a season in the AHL and have their contract slide.

But besides that he is turning 20 before the season starts so this season will count against his ELC regardless.
You should have quit while you were ahead. Valimaki is a slide candidate.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/juuso-valimaki
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #1556
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
1st and 2nd year pros were exempt from having to protect for Vegas' expansion draft, so I presume that'd be the same for Seattle's, no?

We'd just have to make sure we're meeting the exposure requirements, which I don't think would be difficult to do. (Brouwer, Frolik, whichever 3rd/4th liner UFA we sign this summer on forward... Brodie/Stone on D, Rittich & Gilles for goalies)
Backlund, Frolik Brouwer Brodie and Stone and Gio have NTC clauses so you might be forced to protect them.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #1557
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Backlund, Frolik Brouwer Brodie and Stone and Gio have NTC clauses so you might be forced to protect them.
Only NMCs need to be protected.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #1558
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Incorrect. He's one of those special cases with a birthday between September 16 and December 31 (like Poirier and Shinkaruk before him). His contract was signed as an 18 year-old, which means it can slide two years if he doesn't play 10 NHL games.

He is eligible to play in the AHL this season because he turns 20 before the end of the calendar year. So long as he doesn't play 10 NHL games, his contract will slide.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #1559
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I've watched Valimaki extensively this past season, he's absolutely ready for the NHL by all accounts. I don't see any reason he needs to be forced into the AHL outside of the Flames not having room. Signing an older veteran "depth" guy makes no sense when those minutes could be given to him as a 5th or 6th dman this season.

His frame, his size, his ability to generate offense, his gap closing awareness is miles ahead of most kids at his age and I firmly believe that's part of why the Flames drafted him.
I'm optimistic about Valimaki too. But you don't pencil in defencemen who haven't played an NHL game into your opening night roster. Treliving has to base his decisions on Valimaki not being on the team, and if he does push his way onto the roster - if he's another McAvory - then that's a nice problem on to have. But you don't count on it in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

I'm guessing Vegas' offer was/is something like Theodore, Hague, 2nd round pick. Ottawa probably wanted Suzuki or Glass instead of Hague. Ryan has negative value, so it's hard to handicap.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #1560
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Beagle to Vancouver

https://twitter.com/user/status/1012764694023688194
Closed Thread