Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #141
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fyp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr. Mints View Post
who or what on middle-earth is a gollum???

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #142
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It occured to me that I never watched 'Joker', I have never much cared for any 'origin' stories and I loathe the tendency to pretend what is in the end a kids comic book is in fact adult and so 'dark'
Joker is probably the least comic book, comic book movie out there. They could have changed a couple things and it wouldn't have even had a comic book connection. I thought it was a really well made and acted movie. However it didn't really do anything for me, not my kind of movie, just a personal preference thing I suppose.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:50 PM   #143
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I never saw Braveheart. It came out in a summer when I was working at a gas plant on a big turnaround every day for over a month straight. All my friends went and for whatever reason I never rented this one.
I was 12 when it came out so had no interest at the time and never watched it. I had a few friends that are shocked I have never watched that movie
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #144
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I generally have no interest in the Medieval genre. Which for me means not watching Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Princess Bride, Robin Hood, and especially Monty Python.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #145
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Case in point why Seven Samurai is near-perfect: In any other film this would be a throw away scene to establish character of the "perfectionist samurai". Here, Kurosawa uses scene composition and minimal dialogue to perfection. The simple natural background sounds heighten the tension and gives the viewer an awestruck feeling at what they're watching. It's a very Japanese aesthetic to deliver simplicity with perfection. Kurosawa does this in just about every scene in the film.
Watching his movies I really appreciate the storytelling. Bandits want to raid the town but they realize the barley crop isn't ready. Instead of raiding the town right then, which would cause it to collapse, they plan to attack later in the season when the crop is harvested. Thus allowing them to raid the town into the future.

The 2016 Magnificent Seven where armed men over take a church burn it down, and kill a bunch of the townspeople for no reason. Hmm I wonder who the bad guys are? The movie is too subtle for me as a brain dead movie goer to figure this out.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #146
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Watching his movies I really appreciate the storytelling. Bandits want to raid the town but they realize the barley crop isn't ready. Instead of raiding the town right then, which would cause it to collapse, they plan to attack later in the season when the crop is harvested. Thus allowing them to raid the town into the future.

The 2016 Magnificent Seven where armed men over take a church burn it down, and kill a bunch of the townspeople for no reason. Hmm I wonder who the bad guys are? The movie is too subtle for me as a brain dead movie goer to figure this out.
I’ve noticed that modern remakes, especially those made in the last 10 years or so, often have no idea what their source material was about, or what made it good.

And that’s if they genuinely do possess some affection for the originals - lots don’t, and in fact have outright contempt for what came before.

The live action Disney reboots are especially offensive for this, and I do mean offensive.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #147
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
More of a general comment; most movies are historically inaccurate. Braveheart especially touches a lot of nerves with people, for reasons that are perfectly legitimate.

But it’s just so damn good, so high quality, that all the arguments against it cause people to miss out on one of the best movies ever made, and that’s really a shame.

They don’t need to be able to describe that finale sequence beat for beat like I can, but they should see it at least once.
The most inaccurate part of Braveheart is Mel Gibson's age, it's a good 20+ years off his character haha. But actually the movie is fantastic.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #148
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve noticed that modern remakes, especially those made in the last 10 years or so, often have no idea what their source material was about, or what made it good.

And that’s if they genuinely do possess some affection for the originals - lots don’t, and in fact have outright contempt for what came before.

The live action Disney reboots are especially offensive for this, and I do mean offensive.
Totally agree. Like the Robocop remake. It wasn't rated R and was missing all of the satire of the originals. It wasn't original enough to stand up on it's own either. Some have done an excellent job though, Bladerunner 2049 and Suspiria come to mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #149
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Totally agree. Like the Robocop remake. It wasn't rated R and was missing all of the satire of the originals. It wasn't original enough to stand up on it's own either. Some have done an excellent job though, Bladerunner 2049 and Suspiria come to mind.
I saw Bladerunner 2049 on my own and loved it so much I took my wife to see it the next night.

She thought it was good.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #150
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
ET for me.
Same, will probably never see it.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #151
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The wonderful thing about the storyline is that it lets you know everyone is hungry, the bandits are stealing food to survive, the villagers are trying to keep their food and survive, the samurai are basically working for food to survive, in a very real sense there are no bad guys, there is little to separate the bandits from the samurai, the villagers horde weapons they have taken robbing wounded and dying samurai on the battlefield, they are all doing what ever they can to get through the winter
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #152
rustycana
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’ve never seen Passion of the Christ, The Last Temptation of Christ, the Ten Commandments, Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas…
rustycana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #153
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycana View Post
I’ve never seen Passion of the Christ, The Last Temptation of Christ, the Ten Commandments, Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas…
The Prince of Egypt is a better Biblical epic than all of them.

As for The Passion... Well, once again, this thread can't escape Mel Gibson.

If you like/appreciate most of his other work, the Passion is worth seeing.

If you're a reasonably religious Christian, it's worth seeing because it's easy to let yourself gloss over what happens to Jesus during the sentence 'He suffered under Pontious Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried'.

It wasn't that easy.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #154
rustycana
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Prince of Egypt is a better Biblical epic than all of them.

As for The Passion... Well, once again, this thread can't escape Mel Gibson.

If you like/appreciate most of his other work, the Passion is worth seeing.

If you're a reasonably religious Christian, it's worth seeing because it's easy to let yourself gloss over what happens to Jesus during the sentence 'He suffered under Pontious Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried'.

It wasn't that easy.
Thanks. Although I’m not Christian, I’m a big Scorsese fan. The Last Temptation of Christ is really a movie I should see at least once. I’ll check it out
rustycana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:20 PM   #155
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycana View Post
Thanks. Although I’m not Christian, I’m a big Scorsese fan. The Last Temptation of Christ is really a movie I should see at least once. I’ll check it out

Oooohhhh… now we’re talking. Love, love, love that movie.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #156
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlantern2814 View Post
the prince of egypt is a better biblical epic than all of them.

as for the passion... Well, once again, this thread can't escape mel gibson.

If you like/appreciate most of his other work, the passion is worth seeing.

If you're a reasonably religious christian, it's worth seeing because it's easy to let yourself gloss over what happened to everyone one the roman's put to death, jesus was crucified like millions of others 'he suffered under pontious pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried'.

It wasn't that easy.

fyp

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 09-16-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #157
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
fyp
And?

Is the Story of one person dying in the gas chambers less tragic because the Germans killed lots of Jews that way?

It’s the story of the worst thing happening to the best person.

Tough to find many worse things than your own people selling you out for a crucifixion.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:28 PM   #158
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And?

Is the Story of one person dying in the gas chambers less tragic because the Germans killed lots of Jews that way?

It’s the story of the worst thing happening to the best person.

Tough to find many worse things than your own people selling you out for a crucifixion.
prior to the 19th century there were really only 2 punishments in the the world, death or slavery, the punishment for stealing a loaf of bread in Britain was death for much of the countries history, mostly because in the absence of a real central Government with police and prisons death was all they had.

The crux of the argument that Jesus's death was so horrific because he was special and died for our sins is just rubbish, he died like everyone else, it wasnt pleasant, the two guys on the crosses next to Jesus who likely were there for stealing food to live on died just as grim deaths as Jesus, he might have been special but his death wasnt
Old 09-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #159
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
prior to the 19th century there were really only 2 punishments in the the world, death or slavery, the punishment for stealing a loaf of bread in Britain was death for much of the countries history, mostly because in the absence of a real central Government with police and prisons death was all they had.

The crux of the argument that Jesus's death was so horrific because he was special and died for our sins is just rubbish, he died like everyone else, it wasnt pleasant, the two guys on the crosses next to Jesus who likely were there for stealing food to live on died just as grim deaths as Jesus, he might have been special but his death wasnt
A key point of the Passion play is Jesus being an innocent man.

Your mileage on that may vary, but in the context of the story, an innocent man is being put to death.

Don’t be so literal.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #160
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Actually, crucifixion was not a standard punishment for thieves and the like in the Roman world. They had fines, flogging, and banishment for that. Crucifixion was a deliberately cruel and public form of execution reserved for rebels, dangerous slaves, and other enemies of the state. It couldn’t be carried out on a Roman citizen.

If there was a lot of crucifixion going on around Jerusalem at the time of Christ it was because Judea was in a state of simmering rebellion, not because the Romans routinely crucified common criminals.

Anyway, if we’re talking about Biblical movies Life of Brian still can’t be beat.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: