Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #4321
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well...no.

In fairness that was Chicago, LA and San Jose in their prime so Keith/Seabrook were locks as were Vlasic and Doughty, then the list keeps going.

And Hamilton was 20.

I wouldnt say he never got any consideration but thats not the same as saying that Dougie Hamilton in his youth wasnt selected for the deepest team in the history of the sport.
We were talking about Team North America in the World Cup.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #4322
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I log in fully expecting to find a threat saying Gulutzan fired and gazillion rejoicing gifs, to say the least, very disappointed. Sorry, I'll let myself out, back to the sauce.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #4323
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wouldn't rule out Ryan Huska being the replacement for Gulutzan. It appears there will be a lot of competition for any big name coaches and it could come down to money. BT really likes Huska so he's the guy I think may be the replacement but it will come down to Burke and Treliving's willingness to go with another unproven guy.
You want to know something, this really kills me.

I cant tell you how much I like and respect Huska for the work hes done and the shifts hes put in down in the AHL.

But is now that time? Is he the right replacement? After this disaster of a season?

I think now is the time to buck the trend and get someone proven who can get this team over the hump.

People talk about Hartley but he was a caretaker coach guiding a young team through a rebuild. He was never going to be The Guy.

Similar to Feaster. Sorry, I generally liked Feaster but he was literally brought in to be a 'Hatchet Man' and do some very dirty work and I think he did so with grace as best he could.

This is not that.

This team is rapidly approaching the point of no return where they either have to fish or cut bait and unfortunately we dont look like we're in shape to be in that position.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #4324
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If they bring in a rookie coach next year, the Flames are going to be staying garbage for a while.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #4325
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

As I've mentioned before, if its not a proven coach I'll be extremely disappointed. That being said I am certain almost any other coach puts a better product on the ice next season.

Unless its Willie D.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #4326
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You want to know something, this really kills me.

I cant tell you how much I like and respect Huska for the work hes done and the shifts hes put in down in the AHL.

But is now that time? Is he the right replacement? After this disaster of a season?

I think now is the time to buck the trend and get someone proven who can get this team over the hump.

People talk about Hartley but he was a caretaker coach guiding a young team through a rebuild. He was never going to be The Guy.

Similar to Feaster. Sorry, I generally liked Feaster but he was literally brought in to be a 'Hatchet Man' and do some very dirty work and I think he did so with grace as best he could.

This is not that.

This team is rapidly approaching the point of no return where they either have to fish or cut bait and unfortunately we dont look like we're in shape to be in that position.
With New York potentially poised to move away from Alain Vigneault (who makes $4M per season, and has 2 seasons remaining on that deal), I think he's THE guy we need. New York likely wouldn't want to flat out fire Vigneault and be on the hook for $8M, and Vigneualt likely won't be out there looking for a pay-cut (more than likely, he's due for a raise). So would the Flames be willing to pay $4-$5.5M for Vigneault?

Or around the same for Darryl Sutter?

We should be prioritizing a high-end coach, and realistically - even if Quennville does move on from Chicago, I sincerely doubt he'd come to Calgary. I think Quennville is the Rangers "Babcock", if he becomes available.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #4327
Toonage

Exp:

^ Agreed. AV is my choice. Hope the Rangers help this along.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #4328
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
With New York potentially poised to move away from Alain Vigneault (who makes $4M per season, and has 2 seasons remaining on that deal), I think he's THE guy we need. New York likely wouldn't want to flat out fire Vigneault and be on the hook for $8M, and Vigneualt likely won't be out there looking for a pay-cut (more than likely, he's due for a raise). So would the Flames be willing to pay $4-$5.5M for Vigneault?

We should be prioritizing a high-end coach, and realistically - even if Quennville does move on from Chicago, I sincerely doubt he'd come to Calgary. I think Quennville is the Rangers "Babcock", if he becomes available.
Quennville may take some time off as well
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #4329
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't rule out Ryan Huska being the replacement for Gulutzan. It appears there will be a lot of competition for any big name coaches and it could come down to money. BT really likes Huska so he's the guy I think may be the replacement but it will come down to Burke and Treliving's willingness to go with another unproven guy.
If that happens I will take some time off from watching, Huska is worse than Gully Imo. At least we would have a solid lottery pick in 2019 though. Bring in a veteran NHL coach.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #4330
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is there a point to firing him now? Its over man. Game over man.

NSFW!
The players have given up on him and the season. The past couple of games the team has had no heart whatsoever. First case of adversity and they call it a night. For Gulutzan sake if he is indeed gonna be fired at the end of the season - which I really hope he is - it would be better for him to just end it now, let him be done the continued scrutiny, pointless purpose of being behind the bench, and running practices.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #4331
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

And this is also the Crux of the matter.

Historically in the NHL Coaches are cheap.

That landscape recently changed in the advent of the 'Compensation of Executives' initiative that failed miserably, and the landmark Babcock Contract and now a lot of the coaches in the top echelon of the league are paid more than the Flames have likely ever paid.

But thats the new 'Normal.'

A decent coach is going to cost that and thats the price unless, like Gulutzan you want to go back to the 'Scratch and Dent' bin.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #4332
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We were talking about Team North America in the World Cup.
Ah! Sorry.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #4333
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A decent coach is going to cost that and thats the price unless, like Gulutzan you want to go back to the 'Scratch and Dent' bin.
I think a team is better off working with a salary cap that is 2-3 million lower than typical and putting that money towards coaching and scouting, than going cheap like the Flames have tended to do.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #4334
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If that happens I will take some time off from watching, Huska is worse than Gully Imo. At least we would have a solid lottery pick in 2019 though. Bring in a veteran NHL coach.
Nobody can really say if he would be worse just like there's no guarantee a veteran guy takes this team where they want to go. You can't find the next Jon Cooper if you don't give him the chance. I'm not saying I'm hoping for it to be Huska and just that I believe Treliving will consider him. I believe you would have to go out of your way to bring in a guy worse than Gulutzan so it's probably fair to say the next coach will be an improvement but how much remains to be seen.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #4335
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Huska could be interesting as well because of the familiarity with the younger players and I think he already runs a similar play style to the Flames so the transition might not be as extreme
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #4336
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know what Huska's transition game look like? How are the special teams doing for the Heat? Do they also fold in the face of adversity?

I know others have talked about the system being similar... would be interesting to hear if they have the same hangups.

Last edited by Flames0910; 03-22-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #4337
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Keep coming back to look for the Gulutzan fired thread. Keep leaving disappointed.
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willi Plett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #4338
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I think a team is better off working with a salary cap that is 2-3 million lower than typical and putting that money towards coaching and scouting, than going cheap like the Flames have tended to do.
This argument won't go away but doesn't make much sense.

The Flames from 5 years ago had a GM, assistant and a coaching staff.

Now they have a head of hockey operations, a GM, and three assistants and a coaching staff.

If they were insistent on hiring cheap coaches why did they double their hockey exec contingent?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #4339
Toonage

Exp:

Money for coaches is not part of the salary cap. Unless an internal cap was meant.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #4340
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Money for coaches is not part of the salary cap. Unless an internal cap was meant.
I think he means that, instead of spending to the cap, use money saved by not doing that and pay for a coach. But I agree, I think that player salary doesn't have much to do with either their choice of coach or what they offer him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote