Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #241
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Management & ownership have made it quite clear that all they care about is making the playoffs at all costs so they can generate that sweet, sweet playoff revenue. They know the regular season will sell out regardless because there's nothing else in this city to take away from the Flames.

I'm sure if you asked the guys at the top whether they'd prefer to suck hard for a few seasons to build a championship team or sneak in as a wildcard for 10 years, they'd be perfectly fine with the latter because it makes them more money.
But if you build a championship team, you also make the playoffs a whole bunch of times, not just once. And one championship run means 12+ home dates (with each round being significantly more profitable), where squeaking in and getting blasted back out is only 2 or 3 home dates. Building a championship team is clearly the better option from a financial standpoint.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #242
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

You can trace every good team in the league right now to the draft, and you can trace most of the bad teams in the league to the draft. It comes down to good drafting and development, sure, but it mostly comes down to blind luck and quantity.
Which is why the Lazar and Hamonic trades are tough. Yes, the percentages say a 2nd round pick won't amount to much.. And the odds say Hamonic will play more games than those picks combined.

But trades like these put a cap on the upside of these picks. You trade a chance at a homerun for a single. Problem is, you don't get enough picks to turn this into a winning strategy.

As for it being the owner's directive, well I don't know. Treliving supposedly had more autonomy this off season.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #243
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
How can people claim ownership doesn't care about winning when they spend to the cap every year, regardless of how punitive the exchange rate is?
They care about winning. But there seems to be institutionalised impatience in the organization. Trading 2nd rounders for depth players is a kind of hallowed tradition for the Flames. Mortgaging futures to get a little bit better is only ever a good strategy when you're already a very good team and you're pushing to be a contender. The Flames have a habit of using the strategy to try to improve from mediocre to good, and all it does is ensure long-term mediocrity.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #244
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
They care about winning. But there seems to be institutionalised impatience in the organization. Trading 2nd rounders for depth players is a kind of hallowed tradition for the Flames. Mortgaging futures to get a little bit better is only ever a good strategy when you're already a very good team and you're pushing to be a contender. The Flames have a habit of using the strategy to try to improve from mediocre to good, and all it does is ensure long-term mediocrity.
Except when Treliving traded depth players for second rounders (Russell, Glencross, Sven, Hudler).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #245
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yes, I do think they can beat those teams.
You have been watching the 2017/2018 Flames, right? Yeesh there is no way any fan can confidently say this team can beat those teams at home and keep a straight face this year.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #246
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
- Oilers get Brady Tkachuk or Rasmus Dahlin + Canucks get the other
- Islanders get a top 3 pick via lottery (our pick)
- Glen Gulutzan signs an extension
- Sam Bennett and TJ Brodie traded and proceed to get back to playing to their potential elsewhere, while their returns are throwaway pieces

Just missing the playoffs and regrouping is perfecrly digestable if none of the above happens.
None of this is remotely digestible anymore as I have only witnessed 2 seasons that amount to success (2004 run and 2006 division title) for this franchise since I started following the team intently in the early 90s.

The mediocrity needs to stop at some point.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #247
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except when Treliving traded depth players for second rounders (Russell, Glencross, Sven, Hudler).
This should be business as usual for most NHL clubs.

Ottawa just did this last year with Lazar.

Edmonton is about to do it with Maroon.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #248
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This should be business as usual for most NHL clubs.

Ottawa just did this last year with Lazar.

Edmonton is about to do it with Maroon.
Only because they ####ing sucked this year...its not because of shrewd management. If they were in the Flames position even there is no way they would be moving him
Old 02-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #249
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Only because they ####ing sucked this year...its not because of shrewd management. If they were in the Flames position even there is no way they would be moving him
Well in a lot of the situations where we traded players away for 2nd rounders, we sucked to. It's common sense practice to sell when you're going to miss the playoffs.

The only player that doesn't fit that scenario was Glencross, and by the time he was traded, he was a bad hockey player, and we got a ransom for him.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #250
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Sometimes i get confused.

Are the oilers a team the Flames should be emulating or no?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #251
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Personally, I think a big reason is Harvey has been absolute horse#### for the past 2 or 3 seasons in using the drum, and timing of leading chants.
Yes! I thought I was one of the only people who noticed this. Not only does he not get the drum out until way too late in the game, but his tempo is completely useless. Nobody can keep up a chant at the rate he hammers that damn drum these days. He starts way too fast, then goes even faster every repetition. It’s dumb as hell.

I think the Flames organization deserves a lot of the blame for how quiet the building is. There is more appetite to get loud than the fans are given credit for, but we just don’t have satisfying ways to do it. The options are basically to scream a bunch of nonsense like some half-wit, or repeat the same 3 words over and over with no reliable cheerleading. “Go Flames Go” is a classic, don’t get me wrong, but it’s tiresome to try to belt that out for more than about 30 seconds, especially when Harvey wants everyone chanting at 450 wpm.

TL;DR: We need some new and interesting stuff to chant or sing at the ‘dome, and we need a concerted effort by the Flames to get it to stick.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #252
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that at times we are being trolled by Russian bots? Probably payback for the whole Wannmaker thing.
Such allegations are fake news!

Move along, comrades, nothing to see here.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #253
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

CalgaryPuck has sank to a new low of blaming Harvey the motherfluffin Hound for the domes problems now? Praise be to Scorch
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #254
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post

TL;DR: We need some new and interesting stuff to chant or sing at the ‘dome, and we need a concerted effort by the Flames to get it to stick.
Can attest to this, most people (myself) only last like 20-30 seconds at most when the drum starts up.

We give up, either from getting fatigued quickly at his ridiculous pace... or when a Flame does a particularly groan-worthy play that ruins the vibe. Whichever comes first. Then right back to the library atmosphere again.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #255
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
CalgaryPuck has sank to a new low of blaming Harvey the motherfluffin Hound for the domes problems now? Praise be to Scorch
Harvey is a post-apex mascot
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #256
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s simple, the dome is loud when the Flames are playing well. If you stink up the joint no one will be cheering. This isn’t soccer, hockey stadiums are loud when the team shows up to play. Flames don’t show up to play at the dome, period!
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #257
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Harvey is a post-apex mascot
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #258
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fans feed off of each other too. A lot of people are shy to just yell encouraging stuff out. BUt if someone starts something, people join in. Team also has to play well to get fans involved. Things like what the Jets or Predators do get fans excited and wanting to participate. Not saying we copy them, but you get what I am saying. The fans feed off the players, and the players feed off the fans.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #259
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
I really believe there’s a momentum effect when it comes to getting cheering. Noise begets noise. The problem is, there needs to be some sustained impetus to start things off. Where is that right now? The team plays a lot of low-event hockey; no hitting, no shots, no fights, no dangerous chances. The cheerleading is bad, and that includes Harvey. The selection of things to chant is almost non-existent and generally bland. How do we spice it up? If nothing spawns organically, someone has to try to force it.

It’s not all Harvey, but he’s certainly not helping.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #260
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe the Dome needs something.

I don't know, some kind of theme.

A western night?

Cowboy hats?

I don't know, something fresh and exciting to get the fans into it.

A contest sponsored by Wrangler Jeans? Can we get some Darude?

Is there someway to shoehorn a pickup truck into the intermission segments?

I'm just spitballing here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: