Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #21
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Bennett Jankowski Versteeg
Lazar Stajan Brouwer
Stewart Shore Hathaway
Glass

I think shore should be in the lineup but likely won’t happen
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #22
ThaBrink
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdr View Post
I think Stewart will take Shore's spot for the added size against the Sharks. GG really likes him.
I liked Shore's game last night. I've yet to see Stewart do anything to impress me since he's been here. Granted, he also hasn't done anything dumb
ThaBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #23
crdr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrink View Post
I liked Shore's game last night. I've yet to see Stewart do anything to impress me since he's been here. Granted, he also hasn't done anything dumb
I changed my mind. I have to agree with another poster.
I think Lazar comes back in. He was money vs Sens.
crdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #24
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrink View Post
I liked his puck protection last game, but he can be a bit of a floater defensively
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #25
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shore seems to be a better player than Lazar, Hathaway, Brouwer and Stajan so I don't understand why he isn't a regular in the lineup.

I know Stajan and Brouwer will play no matter what but feel Shore should be in there over the others.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #26
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Versteeg really helps with our depth.
He's probably not a full-time top 6 guy, but he's a much better option for the 3rd line.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #27
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is how I would roll the lines moving forward.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Versteeg
Hathaway-Shore-Lazar

Surely Stajan and Brouwer will be in the actual lineup but not mine.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #28
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Shore
Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer

Lazar has been quite good in his role lately, but I feel Shore offers more (rhyme not intentional) and Versteeg needs to start off slow in a familiar spot.

Hathaway & Stewart end up as odd men out unless the need arises.

And this is all dependent on Tkachuk returning right away otherwise move Bennett and Versteeg up and bring Lazar back in.

Last edited by Toonage; 03-14-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #29
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Here is how I would roll the lines moving forward.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Versteeg
Hathaway-Shore-Lazar

Surely Stajan and Brouwer will be in the actual lineup but not mine.
Why Hathaway? He's been the team's worst forward overall since about mid-January.

Hathaway does not deserve to keep a regular spot in the lineup with the way he's been going.

Last edited by Karl; 03-14-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #30
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I will be surprised if he helps out the PP to start. I imagine his timing is off. Versteeg to start the year was a complete turn-over machine on the PP and just looked 'off', and it seemed to take him a while this season to get his game together and become effective on the PP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
He was? I mean, it was clearly working as the powerplay was top-10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
At the end of November after 24 games it was 21.4%, tenth in the league. Two weeks later we fell down to seventeen at 18.9%. Versteeg did not have many points but I would say his presence made it a little harder for teams to defend our powerplay.
As I posted earlier...

The Flames started the season (the first 14 games) going 7 for 49 (14.9%). They then had an 9 game stretch where they went 11 for 32 (34.4%). That was followed up by a 34 game stretch where they went 14 for 97 (14.4%).

So, no, there's not one PP before Versteeg' injury and one after. Versteeg was on the unit that caught fire for a brief time, but the team had an even longer stretch prior to his injury where it struggled just as much as it did after his injury.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #31
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
As I posted earlier...

The Flames started the season (the first 14 games) going 7 for 49 (14.9%). They then had an 9 game stretch where they went 11 for 32 (34.4%). That was followed up by a 34 game stretch where they went 14 for 97 (14.4%).

So, no, there's not one PP before Versteeg' injury and one after. Versteeg was on the unit that caught fire for a brief time, but the team had an even longer stretch prior to his injury where it struggled just as much as it did after his injury.
Where did you post this?
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #32
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Shore being underrated and Jankowski overrated on this board. Not saying that remains true in the future but at this point Janko has massively underwhelmed for a while now and Shore is a respectable bottom six centre.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #33
crdr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Shore being underrated and Jankowski overrated on this board. Not saying that remains true in the future but at this point Janko has massively underwhelmed for a while now and Shore is a respectable bottom six centre.
I don't want to make this personal. But I do to make a point... What was your first real good job? How did you do? How long did it take to take on a ton of responsibility as a checking centre does in the NHL? Were your bosses as demanding on you as you are being on a 23 year old who in all reality would still be working part time at McDonalds to pay for University?

Last edited by crdr; 03-14-2018 at 05:34 PM.
crdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #34
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long is Tkachuk going to be hurt?
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #35
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even if we agree that Shore is a more polished, established play driving center and Jankowski has been more average in those areas, you have to consider that Jankowski has 12G in 62GP while Shore has 14G in 229GP.

Ideally you have these players playing together, rather than exclusive to each other as Gully insists.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #36
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
Where did you post this?
Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

The team finally went to Gio and Hamilton on the point (instead of the 1D, 4F umbrella) in the last 6 games, and have gone (a completely unsustainable) 9 for 21 (42.9%).

So, no, they were not "very proficient for roughly 1/3 of the season". Prior to the recent change of personnel and tactics, they were extremely hot for 9 games, and terrible for 48.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #37
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
How has Janko massively underwhelmed? He plays on a team that struggles to score and with wingers that are by no means prolific scorers. He has struggled with the grind of his first NHL season lately. But he has 12 goals that he has mostly manufactured on his own. His 12 goals represent 6% contribution of the total 198 goals scored. For reference, Johnny's 22 goals represent 11% of total team goals.

How has Janko done compared to the league's top rookie. Barzal has scored 18 goals of his teams 222 goals representing 8% of total team goals. Barzal is on the top line and top PP and averages 17.35 minutes and has 20 PP points which is the same amount of total points Janko has this year. Conversely, Janko has averaged 13.17 mins of ice time and has 2 PP points.

It appears that Janko has hit the proverbial wall like Most college players have done in their first full year.... See Veesey last year. Janko is playing with wingers that can't score and it has hurt his production but he has by no means been underwhelming.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
How has Janko massively underwhelmed? He plays on a team that struggles to score and with wingers that are by no means prolific scorers. He has struggled with the grind of his first NHL season lately. But he has 12 goals that he has mostly manufactured on his own. His 12 goals represent 6% contribution of the total 198 goals scored. For reference, Johnny's 22 goals represent 11% of total team goals.

How has Janko done compared to the league's top rookie. Barzal has scored 18 goals of his teams 222 goals representing 8% of total team goals. Barzal is on the top line and top PP and averages 17.35 minutes and has 20 PP points which is the same amount of total points Janko has this year. Conversely, Janko has averaged 13.17 mins of ice time and has 2 PP points.

It appears that Janko has hit the proverbial wall like Most college players have done in their first full year.... See Veesey last year. Janko is playing with wingers that can't score and it has hurt his production but he has by no means been underwhelming.
he has also assisted on another 60 goals
Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Shore - Versteeg
Stewart/Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer
PB: Jankowsk, Hathaway

If Tkachuk isn't back then Bennett up to the 2nd line and I guess one of Stewart/Hathaway on the 3LW. I would pick Lazar to go there personally but GG likes making Hathaway a top 9 forward for some reason.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-14-2018 at 07:54 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #40
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great news, should help the pp.

Also... it's past the deadline but getting Versteeg back is like the Flames made a big trade and we gave up zero assets... /s