Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2021, 06:37 AM   #61
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Well that counts him out for the Federal Liberals then
That and the fact that he seems too straight and narrow to be a part of Liberal corruption. After SNC and WE scandals I just can't see him wanting to be a part of that.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:57 AM   #62
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoever wins next is likely a one and done. Like some have said. Hard choices coming, Makes sense for Nenshi to get out now.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
My mom taught him in Junior High. the story goes she came home early in the year and told my dad 'Canada's future prime minister is in my class' ...now she may not have been right, but even if not she came reasonably close, and she still might be. if so I hope she's around to see it
All I can picture of Nenshi as a kid is him in a small suit with a purple tie, stuffed in a little desk.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 07:48 AM   #64
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nenshi was a horrible mayor but a fantastic politician. He completely mismanaged city funds, created way too much policy, and ran his mouth all the time. On the surface, Nenshi seemed like a great symbol to the city: progressive, ethnic minority, vocal about the lower class. However, his actions were opposite. He supported a select few developers who were in his camp and treated them as any other corrupt politician would. He is unemployable in private industry so it will be interesting to see where he goes. Maybe the WE Foundation will pay for him to speak.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #65
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Good news for Calgary taxpayers!
Why?

He help op costs in line with inflation and started the transfer of taxation from businesses to residential to be more in line with other jurisdictions.

Unless you disagree with Capital spending items in particular Nenshi did an excellent job on taxation.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 07:59 AM   #66
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I for one can't wait for Calgary finally to get a fiscally conservative candidate like Farkas in as Mayor to take a crack at our budget.

We really need him in the Mayor seat so in 3 years from now and our taxes are still just as high, he can speak about how he is only one vote on council and how the mayor doesn't set the City budgets with his uncontested power.

I am also looking forward for him blaming the previous mayor for the unsustainable business/ residential tax split which is driving part of our tax increases up. If only our current Mayor spoke about this issue and attempted to fix it.

A fiscally conservatives mayor will totally fix Calgary's budget problems, very excited.

My sarcastic response aside, is there any TL/DR short list of the actual powers the mayor has to influence change compared to councilor, besides having more power over the narrative due to the nature of their position?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #67
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think it’s a pretty glowing review when the majority of your detractors have little to say, and anything they do say seems out of touch with reality or petty.

Nenshi was a great mayor, certainly the best I ever voted for!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #68
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I admit I hardly pay attention to municipal politics. I guess that is an endorsement for Nenshi since I think things have functioned pretty well over the past decade.

I'll begin reading about the candidates, I'm really hoping we avoid someone who is in the pockets of developers. Sounds like Farkas is?

I think it would be neat if the city of conservative racist cowboys elected a minority candidate twice in a row and we can put that label to bed finally.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #69
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I admit I hardly pay attention to municipal politics. I guess that is an endorsement for Nenshi since I think things have functioned pretty well over the past decade.

I'll begin reading about the candidates, I'm really hoping we avoid someone who is in the pockets of developers. Sounds like Farkas is?

I think it would be neat if the city of conservative racist cowboys elected a minority candidate twice in a row and we can put that label to bed finally.

Farkas is openly gay if we’re looking to check boxes.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #70
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to do a bit of work to dust this one off...

Old 04-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #71
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

There are people who would still regard this as a city of conservative racist cowboys if another minority were elected mayor. And minorities can be conservative too.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #72
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nenshi no longer being mayor is straight up bad news, as far as I'm concerned... unless he becomes premier or Prime Minister, he's unlikely to have a similarly positive impact on my life as he does in his current role. And those two things seem rather unlikely.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #73
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I'm not one to check boxes for the sake of it. Just saying the label this city gets is annoying after they elected Nenshi multiple times and potentially another minority candidate.

The extent of my knowledge of Farkas (or anyone) I learned in this thread. I will certainly begin reading up on all of them and gain an informed opinion.

I saw there is an anti-masker candidate, yikes.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #74
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wish him nothing but the best, whether he runs provincially or Federally. He did some good things as mayor, and he should be remembered for that.

However it feels like there's certainly some Nenshi fatigue, I honestly didn't vote for him the last time, and whoever steps up and wins is going to have a ton of fires to put out.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #75
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wish him nothing but the best, whether he runs provincially or Federally. He did some good things as mayor, and he should be remembered for that.

However it feels like there's certainly some Nenshi fatigue, I honestly didn't vote for him the last time, and whoever steps up and wins is going to have a ton of fires to put out.
If I may ask, did you vote for Smith? If so, was it simply an anti-Nenshi vote, or did Smith have a plan you liked? I can't remember him detailing any solutions.

If it was Andre Chabot, no comment from me, respected him but didn't vote for him.

Hoping you respond with you voted for Larry Heather.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #76
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
My mom taught him in Junior High. the story goes she came home early in the year and told my dad 'Canada's future prime minister is in my class' ...now she may not have been right, but even if not she came reasonably close, and she still might be. if so I hope she's around to see it
Hmmm. I went to junior high with him. Did your mom teach at Oakley?
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #77
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will be voting for Jeff Davison, if he can spear head the new arena perhaps he can make changes to this city I actually support.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #78
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Bisexual.

Quote:
Coun. Jeromy Farkas tried to hold back tears when sharing his own experience as coming out bisexual.

Source - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-ban-1.5449958
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #79
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
If I may ask, did you vote for Smith? If so, was it simply an anti-Nenshi vote, or did Smith have a plan you liked? I can't remember him detailing any solutions.

If it was Andre Chabot, no comment from me, respected him but didn't vote for him.

Hoping you respond with you voted for Larry Heather.

I didn't vote for Smith, didn't think much of him and his campaign to be honest. I IIRC I did vote for Chabot, he seemed more in my moderate camp.

Honestly, I think Nenshi was probably a term too long, however the city of calgary has this weird political process, where an encumbrance mayor really won't see stiff opponents, everyone waits until the mayor walks away.

I'm not in love with any of these candidates. I think that the next mayor has a huge task in front of him as the city feels pretty much broke, the downtown core is dying out, and there a real revenue and spending problem that don't align. I also don't think the relationship with the province can be described as anything but dysfunctional.

I'm almost hoping for a clean sweep of council members as well. For the most part I've been pretty unimpressed with the overall actions and tone of council.

If I'm reading right also Nenshi is facing a few fights on the legal front that's going to occupy his time for the next little while.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #80
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
He has his shortcomings that’s for sure. Dismissive if you don’t agree with him or share his vision. Stubborn. Childishly pouts when he doesn’t get his way. Condescending. Egomaniac. Always has to portray himself as smartest in the room.

......and this is my primary problem with him. He was like that back at MRC and it just got worse as his ego got bigger.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post: