Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2016, 02:23 AM   #21
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
The problem is that this jams traffic up against the sound walls. Any increase to road noise that leaks through to homes is unacceptable.
I agree. Providing a major benefit to many people is unacceptable if anyone is marginally inconvenienced!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #22
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I looked at the before/after diagrams and from what I understand the only change is making it wider by adding the bus-only lanes, and the number of lanes for regular traffic doesn't decrease for either northbound or southbound. So not sure why they say it will only increase traffic? The cars will be closer to the sound walls on each side but wouldn't the traffic volumes actually decrease?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Can someone explain the negatives of having the SW BRT?

I live very close to 24 St SW and Fish Creek and I keep hearing people saying that it will drop property values, increase crime. How true is that?

My only concern would be noise from buses, but really, how often would a bus pass by to make it such a case?

Thanks in advance
Old people don't like it, and Checker Cabs, who created that "Ready to Engage" farce, doesn't like it.

That's about it. No, seriously, those are pretty much the negatives.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #24
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my favourite quotes about transit is this

"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transport"
— Enrique Penalosa, former Mayor of Bogotá, Colombia

In Calgary we have one of the most white collar transit rider profiles surely across North America. It's not the US where transit is stigmatized as is "for poor people". Lots of affluent white collar people use transit here.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #25
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife claims its almost 3 bucks to ride a bus is this true? I could only imagine how much a bus pass costs at this point.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #26
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Nenshi cranking it up to 11 on the drama meter again! And Brian Pinkott was bullied on the day he wore his pink t-shirt under his blazer, oh the humanity! Suck it up prince and or princess's!
It's the Mayor's job to protect City staff like this:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...oject-meetings

Quote:
Stevens, who has been involved in communications on the project for months, said she loves her job and believes in public engagement, but “not all citizens demonstrate the respect that my colleagues and I deserve, not just as City staff trying to do a job, but as human beings. I have been berated, demeaned, physically assaulted and disrespected by complete strangers on too many occasions.”
Old 02-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #27
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Can someone explain the negatives of having the SW BRT?

I live very close to 24 St SW and Fish Creek and I keep hearing people saying that it will drop property values, increase crime. How true is that?

My only concern would be noise from buses, but really, how often would a bus pass by to make it such a case?

Thanks in advance
More regular and accessible public transit brings with it theives, rapists, and murderers to your doorstep on diesel powered war wagons. You will hear no birds singing, no children playing because of the roar of 9L engines hurtling down the street at speeds up to 80km/hr. Exhaust will blot out the sun! BRT stations will see the undesirable masses congregate and begin exchanging ideas. While the proletariat watches people in their Mercedes-Benz drive past while they wait for the bus they will wonder how such inequality can persist. They work hard, yet are left with relatively little. Seeing their numbers at these BRT stations they will realize they truly control the means of production and the profits that purchased that Mercedes are merely the stolen wages of the working class being paraded by them daily in a sick display of decadent greed! They will rise up, pushing back against the foot of the bourgeoisie they have been under for long enough. As the fires burn and the flag of the revolution is raised high amidst the purge of the capitalist oppressors, you will likely see a subsequent decline in property values.

TL;DR - NIMBYs believe the only people who would want to use a more efficient public transit system are criminals looking for an easier way to your neighborhood to steal your car and ignore the fact that more efficient public transit will reduce traffic and therefore noise.

Last edited by Roughneck; 02-25-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #28
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
My wife claims its almost 3 bucks to ride a bus is this true? I could only imagine how much a bus pass costs at this point.
You can more than imagine, for sure. You can look it up. $99 monthly.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #29
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transport"

In Calgary we have one of the most white collar transit rider profiles surely across North America. It's not the US where transit is stigmatized as is "for poor people". Lots of affluent white collar people use transit here.
Mostly due to the terrible city driving infrastructure and terribly expensive parking downtown. If those isseues were solved I would bet most people drive.

That rant was pretty great in my opinion haha. Don't care about the project though. Only go south on 14th maybe twice a year.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #30
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Mostly due to the terrible city driving infrastructure and terribly expensive parking downtown. If those isseues were solved I would bet most people drive.

That rant was pretty great in my opinion haha. Don't care about the project though. Only go south on 14th maybe twice a year.

Every major city has terrible driving infrastructure. Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, they are infinitely worse.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #31
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

$99 per month +15% tax credit.

Say at the end of the year it's $85 per month.

Assuming 4 weeks in a month, 5 working days, and 2 trips per day that'd come down to $2.13 per trip. Even at $99 it'd just be $2.48.

Compare that to driving/parking downtown...yeah it's definitely worth it haha.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #32
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can more than imagine, for sure. You can look it up. $99 monthly.
And really it's $86 month since you can use the Transit Tax Credit (just keep the receipt of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Every major city has terrible driving infrastructure. Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, they are infinitely worse.
To be fair to Montreal and Vancouver (and to a lesser degree Toronto), it's not like they have anywhere else to build. Disadvantages of being on an island/being up against the ocean. But yeah Montreal in particular is brutal.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-25-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #33
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
As the fires burn and the flag of the revolution is raised high amidst the purge of the capitalist oppressors, you will likely see a subsequent decline in property values.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #34
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Angry old white guy made an appearance at this. Freaking idiot.

https://twitter.com/cbccalgary/statu...67865094950912
Quote:
...And then tell me those people are going to take Transit? My great aunt's ass
Solid quote from that guy
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #35
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Entitled white wealthy elderly nimby is basically my most despised person.

Keep fighting the good fight deny that vastly improved transit access because ouga booga.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #36
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
I recall hearing an expert from the city (I believe) saying the pipeline issue is total BS (obviously) as there are hundreds of pipelines under roads all over the city.
The pipelines 'could, be an issue. The pipelines in question would fall under CDs z662 meaning that if they go under roads they require an additional design allowance so the wall thickness of the pipelines would have to be thicker.

An alternative to this would be to install casings around the pipelines which would be expensive to do after the fact.

So it really depends on how the initial lines were designed if the pipeline are an issue or not. But worst case it just adds cost to the project.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #37
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
It's actually more than 3 bucks: $3.15 for a ticket. And I've heard rumblings it could even be going up again.

And as mentioned, $99 for a monthly pass. I live somewhat close to downtown and work in the core, and yeah parking rates are insane. I train it every day.

But I've been living West of 14th St for 2 years now, once my delayed complimentary Benz gets delivered to my place, maybe I'll drive to work more. Especially while wearing a plaid coat on top of a plaid shirt, that look just screams affluent MB driver.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Solid quote from that guy
I'm really interested to hear his opinion on bike lanes. This guy would be a riot to egg on.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #39
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is anyone under the age of 75 opposed to this project?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's also worth noting that this route would service Cedarbrae and Braeside, where there are a lot of working class residents who use transit. Not to mention the Tsuu T'ina. There are apartment buildings and everything in those communities. Even subsidized housing. Lots of young families and students as well. The section of the city west of 14th Street and south of the reservoir isn't all as elderly and affluent as Pump Hill and Bayview.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: