Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #2281
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Follow along here bingo.

This thread should've been dead, but you bumped it to post some Bennett stats, then it devolved to the point of suggesting this current fpqmes team had 4 hall of famers on it.

That's the homerism.

If you let a thread get long enough you can make it about anything you want.
Who has claimed bennett is a future hall of famer?

that is absurd...

Can you just relax and realize that some people don't share your overly negative opinion of Bennett, AND that the Bennett thread is probably a better place for Bennett talk than every other thread (as it was in september october)

This thread wouldn't get to 114 pages if there weren't at least a few differing opinions.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #2282
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett can't process the game at NHL speed. Not well enough to be an offensive threat at this level. And he has a weak shot.

He has useful skills - skating, hitting, can carry the puck and drive the net. But he's going to have to move on from his expectations of being a big scorer and reinvent himself. Model his game off a guy like Raffi Torres, who was never the player he was drafted to be (drafted #5 OA), but still carved out a role and played 13 seasons in the NHL.

That kind of dramatic change in expectations and outlook typically only happens after a player is traded from the team that drafted him.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #2283
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Bennett can't process the game at NHL speed. Not well enough to be an offensive threat at this level. And he has a weak shot.

He has useful skills - skating, hitting, can carry the puck and drive the net. But he's going to have to move on from his expectations of being a big scorer and reinvent himself. Model his game off a guy like Raffi Torres, who was never the player he was drafted to be (drafted #5 OA), but still carved out a role and played 13 seasons in the NHL.

That kind of dramatic change in expectations and outlook typically only happens after a player is traded from the team that drafted him.
Gross
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #2284
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flash, your negativity is concerning. It isn't healthy to be so negative.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #2285
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I've noticed any thread he's in becomes unreadable. Even the game threads. Just my opinion, perhaps he's others favourite poster.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #2286
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flash is CP's 24/7, 365 days of the year Scrooge
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #2287
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he does think Flames should trade all their draft picks and go all in on winning a cup this year so I don’t think you can call Flash negative all the time.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #2288
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Negativity isn't necessarily the issue. Civility towards challenging opinions is.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #2289
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Gross
As long as Bennett doesn't get a landing strip on his chin.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #2290
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Follow along? Give it a rest man.
Nah, I really think you do. I'm clearly referencing the latest discussion about the hall of fame and not the hundreds of other posts in the thread. That's pretty clear.

Quote:
I don't need a lesson in how to follow. I can easily go through the topic and find many examples of negativity, and baiting and you know it.
This is just you trying to make things personal. Why would you care to go through the thread to find examples of negativity and baiting? To justify homerism? Quid Pro Quo?

Quote:
It's a long drawn out topic, I know that, ... I'm the one that suggested we need more topics and less monster threads a month back.
So then maybe you should've taken your own advice when you bumped this thread from extinction to post some positive bennett stats. You own the site, I don't think you'd get in trouble for starting too many threads.

Quote:
But to label a discussion that calls a player a bust, that they should have already traded him, and they should cut their losses and move him as homerism is seriously missing the definition of the word.
See, this is why you should follow along, because clearly I was participating in that discussion. And then that discussion died. And then it was revived and I started participating again, and then the discussion transitioned to how many hall of famers this team has and is it as many or more than the 89 cup winning team.

Quote:
I think it boils down to you assuming anyone not agreeing with you must be a homer. Not a good stance.
I don't think this at all. I think you try to make things personal with me, which is not something i'm interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I think the Flames can win it all this year. I'm negative about bad players and positive about good ones. I'm even positive about some bad players. I'm even positive about BENNETT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well he does think Flames should trade all their draft picks and go all in on winning a cup this year so I don’t think you can call Flash negative all the time.
Nah, that's me, super negative.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #2291
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Ice Corsi For / 60
65.06 (3rd on the team)

On Ice Shots For / 60
35.11 (2nd)

On Ice Scoring Chance For / 60
32.44 (2nd)

On Ice High Danger For / 60
14.31 (1st)

On Ice Shooting Percentage
6.64 (16th)

Indivudal Shots For / 60
6.82 (9th)

Individual Scoring Chance For / 60
9.15 (3rd)

Individual High Danger For / 60
5.32 (1st)

Individual Shooting Percentage
7.32 (9th)

I'd be more worried if Bennett didn't generate chances but he continues to generate chances and shots at a good rate when he's on the ice.

This is why we need to be patient and look at comparables. Let's look at two players traded this offseason in Domi and Lindholm.

Both guys that generated good shot quality and a lot of chances but a low shooting percentage made it seem like they didn't produce enough and then they were shipped off because they didn't score enough.

Then the puck started to go in for those players at Even Strength. Here are the even strength comparables for Bennett, Domi, & Lindholm.

Domi:
2015-2018: 8.0 Shooting Percentage
2018/2019: 22.9 Shooting Percentage

2015-2018: 9.2 On Ice Shooting Percentage
2018/2019: 13.2 On Ice Shooting Percentage

Lindholm:
2015-2018: 6.1 Shooting Percentage
2018/2019: 14.0 Shooting Percentage

2015-2018: 6.5 On Ice Shooting Percentage
2018/2019: 10.5 On Ice Shooting Percentage

Bennett:
2016-2019: 7.3 Individual Shooting Percentage
2016-2019: 6.1 On Ice Shooting Percentage

In this same time with Bennett only 173 forwards have taken 300 shots on goal. Bennett ranks 159 of that group with a 8.5% shooting percentage. Sure his shot isn't great but personally I think he could probably still improve it and turn that around to even average. The median shooting percentage is 11.8% for that group of 173 forwards - or the equivalent of 11 more goals for Bennett over the last three seasons.

Don't have to look far to see guys that have a couple years of bad shooting luck and then all of a sudden it turns around and people are shocked they can produce. At some point those plays like the tap in Bennett set Monahan up for the other night will go in and his numbers will look better.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-11-2018 at 02:19 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #2292
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Dude my only point was a 114 page rage fest between groups that want to trade the guy at any return or hang on because he was the next coming of Jesus can't be labeled homerism.

Wasn't trying to be personal at all. I think you're taking what you think is personal too personally.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #2293
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Dude my only point was a 114 page rage fest between groups that want to trade the guy at any return or hang on because he was the next coming of Jesus can't be labeled homerism.
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #2294
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.
What part of that was hard for you ... maybe I can help you out?
Old 12-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #2295
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, I really think you do. I'm clearly referencing the latest discussion about the hall of fame and not the hundreds of other posts in the thread. That's pretty clear.
Quote:

Wasn't trying to be personal at all. I think you're taking what you think is personal too personally.
Quote:
What part of that was hard for you ... maybe I can help you out?
I don't know that you can.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #2296
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a Bennett advocate and preacher for patience, i am nearing my wits end with it.

When he's on, he's physical, with no real offense or goal scoring finish.

When he's not on, he basically becomes invisible.

I do feel he's had more good games than bad ones this season, but have given up hope that he could progress in a similar fashion as kadri did when moved down the lineup. Kadri is 10x more skilled than Bennett unfortunately.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #2297
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is why we need to be patient and look at comparables. Let's look at two players traded this offseason in Domi and Lindholm.

Both guys that generated good shot quality and a lot of chances but a low shooting percentage made it seem like they didn't produce enough and then they were shipped off because they didn't score enough..
First, I think calling Domi a player who couldn't produce enough is a bit of a revision to history. And by a bit, I mean completely. The guy came into the league as a 50+ point player on a team that didn't have much in the way of offensive producers. I mean they were still relying on Doan to be the guy by the time Domi started. And he was the forward scoring leader his rookie season. He was also traded for a younger player not far removed from being a 30-30 guy. It's not like they gave up on him for nothing.

Second, and far more concerning, is those players you listed also were traded before they exploded offensively. Who's to say that despite all of those fancy stats, that the main reason wasn't just a change of scenery? Mental, kick in the ass, better chemistry, whatever, I'd rather see players who had those fancy stats and jumped up offensively while still on the team they played for...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #2298
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
On Ice Shooting Percentage
6.64 (16th)

Individual Shooting Percentage
7.32 (9th)
That's interesting.

In a boil down world one could assume the lack of finish from his linemates are hurting him, as if it was the player those two numbers should be reversed.

Clearly it's not that simple.

But his most frequent linemates for the Flames this year (forwards)

5 on 5 shooting percentage ... out of 13 forwards
Backlund 12th
Tkachuk 5th
Neal 10th
Ryan 13th
Old 12-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #2299
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know that you can.
Here ...

- Long topic
- Some pro Bennett
- Some anti Bennett
- Can't ignore half and label all as Homers

Good?
Old 12-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #2300
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
First, I think calling Domi a player who couldn't produce enough is a bit of a revision to history. And by a bit, I mean completely. The guy came into the league as a 50+ point player on a team that didn't have much in the way of offensive producers. I mean they were still relying on Doan to be the guy by the time Domi started. And he was the forward scoring leader his rookie season. He was also traded for a younger player not far removed from being a 30-30 guy. It's not like they gave up on him for nothing.
Domi was more about goal scoring.

Had 9 goals each of the last two seasons, already exploded for 14 in 30 games this season.

Lindholm is a way better example for sure.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-11-2018 at 02:33 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote