Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2023, 10:24 PM   #1961
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the stylings of the B-52's lead vocalist;

Space sperm! Space sper-erm? Space sperrrrrrmmmmm

This may be the 1st episode of Picard that didn't really fit with the rest of the series.

Captain Chicago dipsh** did a really nice job acting out some ptsd caused by Locutus, to his face!

Always thought there'd be a grassroots hatred of Picard in the lesser ranks of StarFleet. Especially from a guy who was there, on a ship, getting Merked by a Picard led borg cube.

Yeah I'd have a healthy bias towards hating the guy too.

Other than that, the rest of it was classic stng, have a dire situation, solve it on a whim , escape amongst a sea of Space sperm.

I liked it!
Old 03-09-2023, 10:24 PM   #1962
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
For those still on the fence, even Red Letter Media which has had nothing but hilarious vitriol for all of new trek (even going as far as not reviewing SNW) - are getting on board with positivity for S3. It's the mindset of how you watch. I'm still going to hate some parts of this (Raffi) but this is actually good.

They end that segment by telling us that Lore and Moriarty are in the trailer and are coming back.

Lore. And Moriarty.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:25 PM   #1963
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loriarty.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:40 PM   #1964
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Seems like there are lot of Starfleet that hold resentment towards Picard over Wolf 359.

I get some resentment... but the amount of hate he gets for Locutus when it was out of his control seems like it goes too far.
PTSD overrides reason. Sisko was the same way. Seeing Picard triggers the PTSD.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:56 AM   #1965
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm actually a TOS fan first and foremost and I'm not sold on SNW. I think it's because Mrs. John Stamos really ruins the show for me every episode with her irritating mannerisms and space botox and she has nothing on Majel Barret's #1. I'm less irritated with Picard S3 and look forward to seeing this every week while I never could finish S1 of SNW.
She has been married to Jerry O'Connell a lot longer than she was married to Stamos.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:00 AM   #1966
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't like that they were out of power... except for the emergency power to the holodeck that's there so everyone can give up and die in their fantasy worlds instead of dying at their stations like actual Star Fleet would.

Why did that changeling have Odo's bucket?

My assumption is that those two plot elements were written by someone who has never watched Star Trek, so a hold-over from Picard season's 1 and 2.

Those two things vexed me. Generally I am feeling compelled to continue watching though. Nice to see Beverly have some lines, even if her face doesn't move.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:12 AM   #1967
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We're out of power except on the holodecks, and usually on these ships there's more then one. But they run on independent power cells that can run these elaberate holodeck scenarios and power what is probably a massive computer for hours.

Um sir you got some jumper cables?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:11 AM   #1968
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

That was the most Star Trek episode of Star Trek that I think I have seen since Voyager? Even BNW hasn't hit such Star Trek-y Star Trek notes. I truly loved that episode.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2023, 11:27 AM   #1969
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, that episode was terrific and hit all of the right Trekkie buttons for me.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:31 AM   #1970
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I didn't mind the episode, its funny that Shaw is actually I think the best character and the best actor in this show.

I feel enormous sympathy for him. Lucutus kills thousands and there is stands, meanwhile people like Shaw and even Sisco are told to forget about it, because he's a great Captain. Then he gets stabbed in the back hard by Seven. See's Riker and Picards absolute ego's and stupidity endanger his ship and his crew.

Yeah, his outburst in the bar was actually awesome, and his ability to work with Seven when he clearly dislikes her, shows he's probably the best Captain on that ship.

And I knew, I knew right from the start of the episode that Jack was going to show up in that Bar.

Old 03-10-2023, 11:34 AM   #1971
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

But it was a decent episode, even when they what's the term mcguffin the whole solution out of their butts.

Yeah we're going to filter this cosmic energy right to the warp core, and it will be the proper energy and even though the Warp core probably isn't designed as an open solution where you can just straight shoot energy right into it and it won't explode but recharge is exactly how the . . . . wait

That's not how the froc . . . power systems work!

Just freaking once, I'd like them to propose one of these solutions, and have the chief engineer ask why the Command Staff has no idea on how the ship or physics or design engineering works.

Old 03-10-2023, 11:34 AM   #1972
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I don't think they're told to forget about it because "he's a great captain." I think they're told to "understand it wasn't actually Picard." While you're looking at the face of your nemesis you need to remember that it wasn't actually him. But yes, much like Sisko with Picard, he gets past his hurt to do his important job and exemplifies what it is to be a Star Fleet officer, especially a high ranking one. That's something we haven't seen from Star Fleet in a very long time.

One minor point: it makes sense he would be the best captain on that ship since he is the only actual serving Captain on that shift. Riker is off active duty and Picard is retired.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 03-10-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:19 PM   #1973
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
But it was a decent episode, even when they what's the term mcguffin the whole solution out of their butts.

Yeah we're going to filter this cosmic energy right to the warp core, and it will be the proper energy and even though the Warp core probably isn't designed as an open solution where you can just straight shoot energy right into it and it won't explode but recharge is exactly how the . . . . wait

That's not how the froc . . . power systems work!

Just freaking once, I'd like them to propose one of these solutions, and have the chief engineer ask why the Command Staff has no idea on how the ship or physics or design engineering works.
Power compatibility issues are no match for technobabble.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:40 PM   #1974
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Captain dick: "get the changeling to come to you. Maybe steal its pot"

Seven: " I'm assuming you're not meaning it's cannabis?"

Jesus.
I find the dialogue more and more off-putting as they go along. It’s hard enough getting used to everyone talking like 21st century smart asses instead of members of an elite military organization, but now they have Picard dropping f bombs. I just don’t think it’s a fit for this universe, it would be like watching the Mandalorian telling enemies to suck on his beskar c*ck in the middle of a gunfight.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 06:39 AM   #1975
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found it pretty out of character for almost everyone to do nothing for the first 3/4 of the episode. Normally in Star Trek when the ship is in imminent peril, everyone is working to find a way out of it. This show? Nope, off the the holodeck, even with 3 captains hanging around. The only person who gave enough ####s to pay attention was Beverly Crusher...

Then they witness some astounding phenomena of space squids being born, and instead of, you know, "seek out new life and new civilizations" they flee with barely a glance.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 08:36 AM   #1976
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I found it pretty out of character for almost everyone to do nothing for the first 3/4 of the episode. Normally in Star Trek when the ship is in imminent peril, everyone is working to find a way out of it. This show? Nope, off the the holodeck, even with 3 captains hanging around. The only person who gave enough ####s to pay attention was Beverly Crusher...

Then they witness some astounding phenomena of space squids being born, and instead of, you know, "seek out new life and new civilizations" they flee with barely a glance.
I don't know, I can give them a pass on the bolded, though they could have been clearer. They didn't know if the big scary ship was really out of the battle. They were pretty damaged, probably had a lot of casualties, and had found a changeling that was hostile on their ship.

Yeah, getting the hell out of there makes sense.

But yeah it felt weird that they basically gave up so quickly. Two Captains in the bar, and Riker being fairly useless.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:28 AM   #1977
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Riker wasn’t a changeling or Tom, he’s just useless now. Quoting Starfleet regulations that they should sit and wait for rescue when nobody even knows they’re in that nebula and they never communicated with headquarters to begin with. Then despite being one of the best pilots in the fleet, he hands the car keys to the living mummy to navigate them out of the asteroid field (who would have gotten them killed if Jack didn’t correct him on the last maneuver).

I’m with Cap on Shaw though, he’s my favourite character in this series. Still sounds too much like that guy from the sports pub in the same seat every Thursday night, but the closest thing they’ve got to a real CO.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #1978
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was okay with Riker. He lost a child and that has clearly affected him in a lot of ways.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:19 PM   #1979
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked that episode. It was very Star Trek-y and exciting.

Also there was no Raffi, which default makes it the best episode of the series.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:48 AM   #1980
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next episode, Worf says to Raffi "You are not the next generation" and cuts off her head.