Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #2101
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chatwood is pissssssed. Hard to blame him. That was probably a quick yank to get the lefty on lefty matchup. I hope Bergen is on the next bus out of town.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #2102
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
This team is probably two years, at least, from being competitive.
Lol

News flash, they are already "competitive".

They still have holes to fill, especially on the pitching staff, but we kinda knew that going into this season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #2103
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

That whole sequence was unbelievable.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #2104
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Chatwood is pissssssed. Hard to blame him. That was probably a quick yank to get the lefty on lefty matchup. I hope Bergen is on the next bus out of town.
He was pulled quickly, but he couldn't throw a strike either.
He had 0 control out there for the few pitches he got.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #2105
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chatwood can be pissed but he created the situation
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #2106
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Chatwood needs to STFU and sit at the back of the bus quietly.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #2107
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its true. Chatwood got to two outs though with the lead. Just demoralizing to watch a guy come in and walk in 3 straight runs.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #2108
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to be pissed, but I won't let myself be.

Screw it. We knew the pitching was going to be a problem before the season started, and then we had our closer get hurt for the whole season and a whole bunch of other injuries too.

Sucks that they are falling apart now, but who's surprised it's the Rays that are the ones knocking that wall down?

Not me that's for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #2109
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 awful losses in the last 4. Now we'll see what these kids are made of.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #2110
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Typical game against the Rays, still in Florida, just not at the usual house of horrors.

Many winnable games in this losing streak.

Any reason Romano wasn't on the mound tonight? He didn't pitch yesterday.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #2111
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the brightside, they are not being helplessly pummeled in these losses. In fact, they really should have won everyone of these last 5 losses except for the 1st one against Boston.

Frustrating as hell, but the team is definitely competitive.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #2112
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Typical game against the Rays, still in Florida, just not at the usual house of horrors.

Many winnable games in this losing streak.

Any reason Romano wasn't on the mound tonight? He didn't pitch yesterday.
because Montoyo is a moron.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #2113
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
3 awful losses in the last 4. Now we'll see what these kids are made of.
There is still 115+ games left, there is a hell of a lot more ups and downs coming this season. This is far from season defining. I am sure we will see what this team is made of closer to the middle of the season, perhaps even when they get there best player back healthy.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #2114
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
because Montoyo is a moron.
I miss Gibby
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #2115
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Was Montoyo giving signs to throw consecutive balls? Chatwood has been nails this season until this inning and then Bergen completely collapsed, this is hardly on Montoyo.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #2116
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
There is still 115+ games left, there is a hell of a lot more ups and downs coming this season. This is far from season defining. I am sure we will see what this team is made of closer to the middle of the season, perhaps even when they get there best player back healthy.
Vladdy is healthy .

While I agree there is a ton of ball left. The Jays are now 5 behind with 3 teams ahead of them. And whether it's still early or not, games matter just as much in May as they do in September. These are some tough losses and can crater a young team. The real positive is the Jays are still above .500 having played the 2nd toughest schedule so they should have some opportunities to make up some ground.

I wonder if Shatkins would consider a move to shore up the pen. Much like the Rays did by flipping Adames. Maybe a package of a young catcher and/or Biggio.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #2117
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Put in Dolis and he blows it. Reaction from here “you should have put Chatwood in there!”. Then out in Chatwood and he blows it and the reaction is “you should have put Romano there”. Seriously this is amusing reactions. If your reaction is manager sucks when player underperforms that’s not much of a feedback. I don’t see anything wrong with the process here. I also am not a fan of putting in Romano in that situation since he is not the best with runners on and even at best of times he’s hardly the best at limiting walks. The only thing wrong Montoyo did this week was the Espinal bunt. Of course that game Jays had multiple chances to win it but couldn’t produce. Also not on him. This team is mostly young and they’re still going through learning pains.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #2118
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm no Montoyo fan but it's pretty funny watching people flip out on him because the relievers are blowing it.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #2119
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Vladdy is healthy .

While I agree there is a ton of ball left. The Jays are now 5 behind with 3 teams ahead of them. And whether it's still early or not, games matter just as much in May as they do in September. These are some tough losses and can crater a young team. The real positive is the Jays are still above .500 having played the 2nd toughest schedule so they should have some opportunities to make up some ground.

I wonder if Shatkins would consider a move to shore up the pen. Much like the Rays did by flipping Adames. Maybe a package of a young catcher and/or Biggio.
I don’t think it’s quite that necessary although I wouldn’t mind a rental pitcher akin to Walker from last year. I think Manoah will be up sooner rather than later.

For pitchers coming back soon I think Hatch is back within a week that will help. Borucki will be back soon too. Phelps won’t be but maybe we’ll get Merryweather back in a few weeks. Once we can push Payamps, Cole and Bergen to being mop up guys that will help again. Bullpen overperformed their peripherals to start the season, now we’re seeing some regression to the mean. Shame it’s costing us games but the lineup is not hitting enough to make these games non close.

I think the biggest problem here is bottom of lineup is a black hole. We need Springer back and we need Jansen and Biggio/Panik to improve. Unless Gurriel gets going he’s just going to be pushed back by Springer.

Last edited by Kasi; 05-23-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #2120
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah and the bottom of the line up black hole is caused by injuries right now with Springer and Kirk out. The bench depth isn't great either but that will change eventually as the prospect depth works its way up to log jam the MLB roster.

In the short term though, Breyvec Valera is raking at AAA right now. I'd like to get a look at him on the bench to see if maybe he's tapped into some late blooming potential.