Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2023, 08:18 AM   #5461
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The Rock has always seemed to do the right thing how many crappy losses did he take to Triple H?

Steve Austin made his Summerslam match with Triple H a triple threat because he didn't want to lose to Triple H.

I can't really speak about John Cena as that's when I thought wrestling went down the toilet and I stopped watching.
I think he's referring to the Hollywood strike, and now all of a sudden they got time for WWE when they can't make shows right meow.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 09:27 AM   #5462
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I think he's referring to the Hollywood strike, and now all of a sudden they got time for WWE when they can't make shows right meow.
Gotcha.

Maybe Cena but the Rock has been detached for long no?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 09:32 AM   #5463
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gotcha.

Maybe Cena but the Rock has been detached for long no?
The Rock hasn't made an appearance in four years. There's been talk the last couple of years of him either facing Roman at WrestleMania or being involved in the Bloodline story.

Cena just faced Austin Theory this year at WrestleMania.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 09:37 AM   #5464
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The Rock hasn't made an appearance in four years. There's been talk the last couple of years of him either facing Roman at WrestleMania or being involved in the Bloodline story.

Cena just faced Austin Theory this year at WrestleMania.
I heard the Rock on Pat Macafee makes sense that he wants to do something that would be fresh and not just for the sake of doing it.

Do they appear in WWE for free? I highly doubt they need the money from WWE based of their earning from Hollywood.

Vince does open up his wallet for his favourties though. I remember hearing Brock Lesnar saying last minute ole Vince comes through with a big offer like alwaysto keep him.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:42 AM   #5465
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do they appear in WWE for free? I highly doubt they need the money from WWE based of their earning from Hollywood.
No, they don't work for free. There's lots of things celebrities do that they get paid for that they don't need the money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 10:08 AM   #5466
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Rock shows up in Philly I'll be slightly annoyed.

Rock vs Reigns was earmarked for WM 39 in LA from the second it was announced WM was going to be in LA.

Rock even admits that was the plan. And it was a big reason why the group of us decided to pull the trigger on actually going to WM.

Feel like I'm a jinx though - both the WM and RR I went to had way fewer surprise returns or big debuts than those events have historically.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 10:17 AM   #5467
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The Rock and Cena are being scabs right now. No respect for them.
Rock being a total Scab...

https://globalnews.ca/news/9854922/d...rike-donation/

Also think his own production company has said it would meet the SAG asks but can't remember where I saw that.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 10:23 AM   #5468
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Rock being a total Scab...

https://globalnews.ca/news/9854922/d...rike-donation/

Also think his own production company has said it would meet the SAG asks but can't remember where I saw that.
I think it was 5 million, but I am not sure if that figure was this donation or his donation for relief efforts in Hawaii.

Regardless the Rock does seem to be a good dude, plus a former Stampeder who has never forgot his roots.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:15 PM   #5469
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be interesting to see if AEW starts to alter their touring plans to go back to smaller stadiums.

The big arenas were noticeably empty the last couple episodes I had been watching and looks like even Grand Slam - with a pretty good early advertised card - is struggling too sell out.

https://x.com/WrestleTix/status/1703...602639588?s=20

Honestly a big part of AEW has been the strong crowd atmopshere - feel like they'd be better off with a packed smaller venue then a 50% empty arena.
Old 09-18-2023, 06:36 PM   #5470
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

just watching the ticket sales stuff they're selling like 2 to 3000 seats in large arenas. Yeah they need to go back to smaller venues, and pack those.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:02 PM   #5471
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rest of the card was a little to botchy for me (looking at you Jericho), but MJF/Joe delivered in Spades.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2023, 08:27 PM   #5472
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moxley was spiked pretty bad and hopefulky only a concussion.

AEW does need to chill on some of the driver spots...somebody is going to break their neck
Old 09-20-2023, 08:38 PM   #5473
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I know everyone hates it, but I think WWE was onto something banning stuff like the pile driver.

You can still pop it out here and there, but even skilled guys can #### it up and end a career at worse.

Edit - And they did one on Saraya!?! What the actual ####?!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 09-20-2023 at 08:59 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2023, 10:24 PM   #5474
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Pro Wrestling World

Quote:
AEW has definitely given up on Rampage.
In order to tape a 2 hour Rampage without running past midnight, AEW taped the first hour before Dynamite and will film the second hour after. What makes this decision so puzzling is the fact it wasn't mentioned in advance at all...seems like the switch was decided last minute and most fans obviously came late.
Lots of annoyed folks missed out on watching hometown kid HOOK, who grew up literally a few blocks away from the stadium.
Not a good sign for AEW, with live attendance plummeting, Dynamite viewership is stagnant the other two shows are hanging on by a thread. You have to wonder what steps Tony will take to stop the bleeding? He needs to throw a bag of money at a big name free agent (Goldberg, Batista, or of course Edge) to make a big splash.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 12:44 AM   #5475
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I know everyone hates it, but I think WWE was onto something banning stuff like the pile driver.

You can still pop it out here and there, but even skilled guys can #### it up and end a career at worse.

Edit - And they did one on Saraya!?! What the actual ####?!
Saraya one was crazy

Wasnt it added to moves they need clearance for like chair shots to head?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:26 AM   #5476
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it's WWE release day.

Mustafa Ali, Emma, Rick Boogs, and Aliyah have all been released so far.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:28 AM   #5477
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
From Pro Wrestling World

Not a good sign for AEW, with live attendance plummeting, Dynamite viewership is stagnant the other two shows are hanging on by a thread. You have to wonder what steps Tony will take to stop the bleeding? He needs to throw a bag of money at a big name free agent (Goldberg, Batista, or of course Edge) to make a big splash.
I actually think it's the opposite - he needs to simplify the product and focus on the talent they do have. Talent is not the issue and bringing in another new name isn't going to fix the issue.

They need to trim the roster and do a true brand split of ROH and AEW - still too much weird cross promotional activity and too many titles.

Just looking at the roster on the website and it's still too big but there is a really strong and trimmed down roster available there.

World Title / Elite Main Eventers: MJF, Bryan Danielson, Jay White, Omega, Moxley, Adam Page, Will Ospreay

World Title/ Mid Card Tweeners : Adam Cole, Samoa Joe, Orange Cassidy, Darby, Guevara, Swerve, PAC, Eddie Kingston, Cesaro, Andrade, Alestair Black, Kota Ibushi

Mid Card: TNT/International Title: Luchasaurus/Christian, Penta, Rey Fenix, Wardlow, Jack Perry, Hook, Juice Robinson, Take####a, Miro, Hobbs, Daniel Garcia, Ricky Starks, Rush, Scorpio Sky, Mark Briscoe, Roderick Strong, Yuta

Spot Work: Jericho, Sting

Tag Team/Trios: FTR, Young Bucks, Gunn Club, Acclaimed, House of Black, Best Friends, Aussie Open, Proud and Powerful, Death Triangle, Dark Order, Parker & Meynard

That should be your AEW men's roster (~40 singles wrestlers). Get rid of everyone else and either release them or keep them exclusively on ROH. And break up Blackpool Combat Club.

Like look at all this roster bloat that either take up TV time and should be relegated to ROH or in some cases just released:

QT Marshall, Aaron Solo, Action Andretti, Angelico, Ogogo, AR Fox, Ari Daivari, Bandido, Big Bill, Brian Cage, Brock Anderson, Christopher Daniels, Colt Cabana, Top Flight, Ethan Page, Griff Garrison, Private Party, Jake Hager, Jay Lethal, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Jeff Jarrett, Johnny TV, Josh Woods, Keith Lee, Kip Sabian, Komander, Lance Archer, Lee Johnson, Lee Moriarty, Luther, Matt Sydal, The Kingdom, Nick Comoroto, Nick Wayne, Parker Boudreaux, Peter Avalon, Preston Vance, Satnam Singh, Serpentico, Shawn Dean, Shawn Spears, Sonjay Dutt, Tony Nese

I also think that as a canadian they have made the product too hard to follow, and in general 5-6 hours of TV a week is too much. They really need to get Rampage and Collison live on TSN (I really don't get how TSN with 5 channels can't figure out how to air this live and instead will show the same show on 4 of their channels).

Also I feel like MJF next fued should be Alestair Black & House of Black...having this goofy face MJF not go against something like House of Black would be a miss IMO. Could see him having some gold moments.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-21-2023 at 10:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 09:33 AM   #5478
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top Dolla, Riddick Moss, and Elias have also been released.

I had read a few days ago that Elias' contract ran out but maybe not.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:36 AM   #5479
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Rumor is Ziggler might also - finally - be out (according to Reddit).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:39 AM   #5480
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

For the record, this sucks for everyone getting released, but for a few of these people they could really really help some of the other feds. Rick Boogs is just too complete of a character to not be used in a place like Impact, who could use that personality size.

WWE's cuts could very well be big gains for places like NWA, MLW, and NJPW Strong.

Notice I didn't say AEW. Their roster is too bloated as is.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote